Sign in to follow this  
Steerpike

The Big Threeeeeeeeee!

Ok Guys,

Thanks for the advice.

I now have 2 of "The big three". Kirkland 5% Minoxidil and Nizoral.

I just used Minoxidil, 1ml, on the back of me old bonce. I am wary of using it on the front? I don't want to suffer alopecia as this is where I have lost most. Receeded quite far too. Anyone reckon its worth using here as well? Any experience of success on temples / front?

I'll us the Nizoral tomorrow.

Is it worth taking Proscar too? What are the side effects? Isnt it for prostate trouble?

CHeers!

Hello Steerpike! Yes your right, proscar was primarily developed for the condition of an enlarged prostate, but an added benefit of the drug is that it blocks the enzyme that kills ur hair follicles.

I have been using it for seven years now with minimal side effects. Its gotta be worth a try? What have you got to lose apart from the obvious! If you suffer side effects just stop taking it! The side effects are reversible. Details of possible side effects can be found on the web.

I would advise you see a doctor before starting treatment tho just for added peace of mind.

Initially my hair was transformed from peach fuzz to a decent head of hair, i was lucky, i started the treatment early enough (22) to save the follicles that hadnt been destroyed - best thing i ever did!

Best of luck!

Tom

How long does the follicles take to be destroyed fully and to be re-born, if I may use that expression, after using Proscar and so on?

From what I read Proscar can bring back hair lost in the last 2 years, can it be more than 2?

I use Minoxidil mostly on the back but also spread a bit to the front just in case because I rememver someone posted on here that it grew hair for some on the front? Although I'm not sure how accurate that is.

The thing with me, I have small bald patches around but it's hard to look for each one and just spray on it so I have to spread it all over. I have a lot of very small hairs in the front that are hardly visible and some grow faster than the others so it looks worse. I would shave it o 0 so it can grow on the same level but I know it will make it worse since it all started when I shaved my hair to 1, 2 and a half years ago.

Hello Norman!

The cycle that destroys the hair follicles is different for everyone, I.E. some people start losing hair as early as 16 others at 40! Obviously the cycle for the younger guy is much quicker than the older guy, I would imagine this is down to the volume of DHT in your system? - but dont quote me on that one!

My hairloss became chronic between the age of 20 to 22 which is when i started on proscar/minoxodil. approx 2 years later the hair that hadnt died was restored.

My hair could be a lot better but if i hadnt started when i did it would be a lot worse! The before and after results are amazing. You tend to forget how bad it actually was, as after starting proscar/minoxodil things just got better for me.

I believe proscar it the is the most potent of the big three!

Regards

Tom

That's really good. I regret not getting on this stuff when I was 20.. that's the age I started to lose my hair also but I wasn't aware of those products till late last year so I might have left it too late (22 now) but from picture I've seen so far from those treatments, the hair seems to grow back a bit at least so I'm going to have a go.. I suppose it's worth a try and i have nothing to lose other than my hair fully, which is going anyways.

Hey Norman dont sweat, its never 2 late believe me! Give the stuff a try u will be suprised how much hair u can save. It will be withered away to the point where u think its dead but its actually not.

U will see a difference after about 3 months so u will know if its working for u by then and it just gets better from then on!

My proscar was first prescribed by a trichologist who i still see today. She gave me all the facts about dosage and possible side effects which helped me make an informed decision about starting the treatment. She was also supportive and sympathetic about my hairloss and understood how it made me feel unlike my GP.

I will post some pics on here soon to show u how effective it has been for me, i started at 22. my before photo is actually a polaroid so will take a pic of it soon and post it you will be suprised at how bad it was.

sooner u start the better!

Tom

tommytwo is on the money - propecia has also been my saviour!