rutters

Stitches

It all depends on if your stiches are disolverble or not. If they are they then will desolve. If they are not they will hurt after 9/10 days... get them out!

What did your surgeon recommend?

Yeah, you're going to have a long wait if they aren't the dissolvable type :D and they aren't usually... Skin had started to grow over my stitches by day 9 post-op so don't leave them in too long.

yes they are dissolvable..just wondered what the advantage was of having them removed

Mine caused a lot of discomfort and it was a great relief to get them out, so I suppose that's the only advantage. Do yours cause discomfort? How long ago was the operation? I couldn't exercise before the stitches were removed so that was another good thing about having them removed...

no discomfort really..just when I lay on them..I'm 6 days post-op.

It's a bit early to take them out then... Who did your HT? How many grafts?

yes they are dissolvable..just wondered what the advantage was of having them removed

If they are dissolvable then let them dissolve - do not take them out!!

I'm now 7 days post-op..I went to Dr.Rogers in the UK for 1500 strip. It says on the info sheet that stitches should be reoved if poss because this will help the scar to heal better!!

How do I get rid of these dam scabs!!

I'm now 7 days post-op..I went to Dr.Rogers in the UK for 1500 strip. It says on the info sheet that stitches should be reoved if poss because this will help the scar to heal better!!

How do I get rid of these dam scabs!!

I got rid of my scabs by building up a sweat on my Spinner bike... but you have to get rid of the stitches before you can do that. The sweat coming through my scalp just lifted all the scab and the shower washed them away and I was scab free within two days (post-op days 9 and 10) without any picking.

Has anyone opted for letting them dissolve rather than having them removed?

It says on the info sheet that stitches should be reoved if poss because this will help the scar to heal better!!

Haven't you answered your on question?

Any pre op post op pics??

Edited by quick

I have never had or come across dissolvable stitches. I thought Rogers uses Tricho closure?

I would have thought that dissolvable stitches were not meant to be removed - hense dissolvable :D Other wise why not use non dissolvable if you need to remove them :D

I would consult with your Doc on this before you start removing anything :P

All the best!

Any pictures you could share with us?

My daughter had dissolvable stitches in her knee but they were internal stitches (the operation incision was stitched from the inside as the surgeon made the closure, so only the end of the thread was visible) so couldn't be removed and had to dissolve. Sounds a bit pointless to use dissolvable stitches externally, if that's what has been done :D

This was supposed to prevent the scar from spreading but as you can see from the photo I posted a while ago, it didn't work and the scar spread terribly :P

thanks for the replies guys

Dr.Rogers does use the Tricho technique. He uses 2 sets of stiching, an internal set (he calls these the scaffording) and an external set, these are the dissolvable ones. Although he advises the removal of the stitches to help the healing I was hoping to avoid going to my local GP and answering the nurses questions.

Just pop down a local A+E out of your area and get a nurse to take them out. If the ask just say you had a HT - It will be water off a ducks back mate honest.

Failing the HT story tell them you had a skiing accident :P

Anyone can take stitches out - even my wife managed to take mine out and she can't even take a photo with an automatic camera :P

what did she cut em with?

I got a stitch removal kit from Dr Feller but all the "kit" is is a pair of small scissors and a pair of tweezers. They came out very easily and painlessly. A small pair of scissors with pointed blades will do the job.

post-406-1144306161_thumb.jpg

I had absorbable stitches and they took 3-4 weeks to dissolve.They left red suture marks and the whole area seems to have more redness than others I've seen.These pics are after 5 weeks.2 with wet hair straight out of the shower and 2 dry.

Im going to try some hydrocortizone cream on it as Ive heard it reduces redness.I just hope theres no side effects such as widening.

post-406-1144305705_thumb.jpg

post-406-1144305748_thumb.jpg

post-406-1144306190_thumb.jpg

Thats a particularly wide scar in my opinion! :D

Look at AJG'S as a comparison, he has had trich closure which means hair will also grow through the scar diluting it down further. his scar will be invisible imo. yours may need revising somwhat or FUE into to allow to to cut your hair shorter.

post-198-1144339999_thumb.jpg

post-198-1144340012_thumb.jpg

I don't think the red line is all scar. I think the scar is about 1.5-2mm.

I think the wider redness is marks from the absorbable sutures.This is how wide it looked when the sutures were in. It's hard to tell because the 4-5mm red area is flat and not indented or raised.

Dr.Pathomvanich apparently uses a method where he cuts the incision the same angle as the hair comes out and then wiggles it between follicles to give a minimum scar . I hope so anyway.

I'll post more pics in a couple of weeks when hopefully the redness has faded a little.

Edited by brianf

2.5 weeks later (8wks post-op). Used Aloe-vera twice daily for about a week. Also used hydrocortizone cream a couple of times but it's a very strong steroid,had restless nights and weird dreams so topped using it.

post-406-1145700764_thumb.jpg

Edited by brianf

Looking much better :blink: I think that will be unnoticeable once the redness disappears.

post-406-1146658503_thumb.jpg

9 weeks ,2 days (65 days)

The pink 4mm wide area left by the absorbable sutures is starting to fade fast now.

The scar itself is hard to see. It is a better view of the trich closure.

The Dr. said the pinkness left from the sutures would fade completely after 6 months but the way its going I think this pinkness will be gone in about 4 months and the scar should be almost invisible.

My hair is cut with #5 comb in this pic.

What you can see quick is not the scar.

I have skin that's easily marked and turns red when scratched.

The pink that you can see is marks left from the absorbable stitches that stayed in for a month.

I'll post picsin a few more weeks when the reddness fades more and it will give a better idea.

This redness will most certainly fade in time! If your not already, apply some Aloe Vera gel and Distilled witch hazel to the area as this might help with the redness. :D

All the best

Spex

I would be happy with that scar because you can see hairs growing from the red area (due to the incision being made at the same angle as the follicles grow) - once the redness goes, it will be invisible. I had red blotches from the stitch holes for months.