JayJay

Good Age For A Ht

what would you guys say is a good age or a good time to have a ht, at the moment im 20 and been taking proscar for about 5 months or so

I waited until I was 45... :)

This all depends on a number of factors and isn't neccessarily as black and white as there's a definate age that its o.k to get a HT. Everyone is different - with differnt hair loss patterns - different hairloss characteristics - respond differently to meds etc...

Saying this Jayjay - 20 is definately too young, if your experiencing hairloss at this age due to MPB then chances are that more loss is not it's way :) You are on meds and this is the best thing you can do!

Stabilizing your loss and ultimately stopping it is your ultimate objective bud - once you feel that its stopped and that your a responder to the meds and your still interested in a HT then you need to have a realisation of your goal as this is vital.

You have to understand that you just will not get back that 18 year old hairline you once had. Once you embark down the HT route its one that you will have to commit to as further work will more than likely be needed especially if starting young and when i say young there is not threshold that once you turn 25 your eligable - it doesn't work like that.

This is why you need to research and once you feel you have found a Dr that is producing top notch work and who is ETHICAL - then you can obtain their opinion on what is achievable with your individual situation and take their advise on board and make a decision based on their professional opinion.

I personally started my HT journey at 24 / 25 and in many respects have been very fortunate although made many mistake along the way!

I know this info isn't neccessarily what you want to hear but try and understand why and your on your way to reasearching ! B)

what would you guys say is a good age or a good time to have a ht, at the moment im 20 and been taking proscar for about 5 months or so

Id say 45 and go conservative :D

I seem to have used the wrong adjective (conservative) to describe my hairline... What would be more appropriate to describe the type of hairline I had done? I'll edit my story... I already changed it once, don't remember what I had there first but it didn't sound right either.

PB

I wasnt referring to your hairline specifically at all,i dont know how to describe your hairline,i suppose its mature.

Johny.

Yes... "mature" is better, thanks. Don't want to bring politics into it :D

Only waited until I was 45 because the technology wasn't available earlier to create natural looking HTs - and I didn't meet Spex until I was 45 :D. Couldn't have afforded it when I was younger either, which was probably a good thing considering it would have been a plug job at that time.

PB

One reason why its not good to get an HT at an early age is that if your say 22 and you have excessive loss, then chances are you may be heading to a NW 6 or 7. A NW 7 amd some NW6`s are not good candiadates for an HT, espeacially if you have crappy hair characteristics.

Also if your say below 25 and your going for an HT i can bet that most of these patients are not wanting a mature hairline, there wanting a Tom Cruise hairline. I can gaurantee you that Tom Cruise`s hairline will not "naturally" stay the same height when he is 80. However a HT hairline is there for life. Combine that with more loss and you could be on a one way ticket to looking like a clown, even with more surgeries.

Thats why its important to take your age into consideration and visualise the hairline you want and have some idea of what your gonna look like with it when your an old fart in a nursing home.