Ahmed18

Im 18 And Im Thinning!, I Need Help Please

Keep reading the posts and you'll find many guys reporting this !! I'd ditch the regain if I were you.

Actually I'm new on the forum because of that very reason. I've been on Propecia for roughly 5 years where my hair loss stabilised. Just recently I thought it looked like it was diminishing again, and scared that I'd become immune to it, I thought I would combine it with regaine 5%. That was less than 2 weeks ago and in that space of time my hair has shed a massive amount where even the nanogen fibres i use aren't concealing it, 5 years of containment on now a massive loss. It's scary that within a week and a half this has happened and it can only be the regaine, which really itches and feels wrong, or quite possibly the nourkin shampoo i bought.

Can anyone else help with this? Should I dump the regaine, many of you seem to mention that it has accelerated hair loss??

Worried. Please help!

Should I dump the regaine, many of you seem to mention that it has accelerated hair loss??

Worried. Please help!

Dump it immediately! Total scam that caused me to lose loads of hair permanently :)

The drug companies wasted millions on developing minoxidil high blood pressure medication that didn't work, so they tricked guys into using it to prevent hair loss :unsure: to get some of the lost money back. They noticed that women taking minoxidil for high blood pressure started growing beards and body hair so they assumed it would help men with hairloss. They started selling it as a cure for hairloss even though they didn't have a clue about what it has to do with hair and they still don't. Looks like their scam worked as they are cashing it now with their lies as suckers are buying the stuff. Their crappy blood pressure med doesn't help hairloss either and actually causes it :)

PB, that's just not true. Just because regaine did not work for you, does not justify you scaring people new to this forum from trying minoxidil. Rogaine works in something like 60% of people, you happen to be someone it did not work for. Also it causes a shedding phase, so what people here are complaining about is the shedding that it causes, and they are not freaking out rather than waiting to see what the results will be.

Your story is BS and you need only go to other forums to see the benefits that minoxidil can have.

Hi there I finally got on to this board and finally made a decision to tackle my hair loss I am a male in my early twenties 22-23 I never really worried about my hair as I thought it was always going to be there as far as I can remember I have always had a full think head of hair which I had a various number of hair styles over the years from my teens to twenties (16-21) due to my lifestyle of playing in bands e.g. dreadlocks-bright dyed hair-Mohawks- long Spikes –devil lock- rockabilly-long flowing locks-long shoulder length hair and so on .

Last September when I started uni shortly before I was 23 I started to notice I was at the early stages of thinning at the front of my head at first I ignored the fact and one day just decided to shave my head and regrow fresh hair as I have always done this when changing my hair styles.

I then noticed my hair did not grow back thick and life full all over

it grew in a great deal at the back of my head and on the sides but over the last year my hair on the top of my hair is thinning, people started to make the odd joke like “your thinning on top” and I wonder when im in a room can everyone see I am thinning and when I see photos of my self I too can tell that some thinning is present which lead me to compare my hair with other's hair when out and about.

Things come to a head when an friend saw my band on stage one night and told me I was going to go bald before I was 30 he said he could see my thinning under the bright stage lights at first I laughed it off and thought he was joking but since then I have got very depressed over it and I find my self forever looking in minor as my hair grows and looking for cures on the net. I can’t believe how much thinner my hair has become over the last year

Things at uni didn’t help when the course I was on didn’t crack up to be the one for me ha ha in the same boat as Ahmed. I soon dropped out. I also split up with my girlfriend I was always in a bad mood and did not take any interest in any thing I fell very empty inside and very tired all the time I turned to drink in a heavy way to close the problem out of my mind.

I don’t feel confidence at all I always used to have a eye for the ladies and liked being with them but now my self esteem has hit so low I feel that they will laugh at me or wont want to be with a thinning haired guy so I don’t even bother cant be arsed with the hassle or the rejection.

I look really ugly and big faced with a skin head its one hair style that really really doesn’t suit me and when I see photos of my self with a skinhead I cringe.

I found this site today and I feel so much better I don’t really understand the big 3 and HT looks too risky. After some research I fell propecia would be the best for me.

It’s been a few months and I have grown my hair medium length but the white scalp can be seen at certain thinning parts.

So what now?

Has a 23 yr old male is too late for me ?

My dad is bald my grandfather on my mother side was bald my older brother in his early 30 is very very thin on top now I guess it’s my turn? Although as a kid growing up and in my teen everyone said I had thick hair like my sisters guess I should have ignored them ?

Does diet and lifestyle affect hairloss ?

As a member of a touring band over the years “16-23” I have done the whole heavily drinking smoking and drug taking thing does that effect hair loss?

Does one have to get propecia from a GP? ive seen it on websites for £99 6 bottles with the drops ? Can I just order it from there ?

I only notice my body hair over the last year has got thicker eg back chest legs belly while my hair on top is becoming thinner is that normal or am I a freak ?

over the years i have used many waxes and hairsprays and gels does that have an effect ?

I am really at my wits end I don’t want my youth to be over at 23 please please help me I will try ne thing this is having a serious effect on my life and well being I don’t feel energy for any thing any more.

Thanks for listening and thanks to Ahmed Andy Chris Joe and Trigun for posts in this forum that I have just read and found very helpful

PB, that's just not true. Just because regaine did not work for you, does not justify you scaring people new to this forum from trying minoxidil. Rogaine works in something like 60% of people, you happen to be someone it did not work for. Also it causes a shedding phase, so what people here are complaining about is the shedding that it causes, and they are not freaking out rather than waiting to see what the results will be.

Your story is BS and you need only go to other forums to see the benefits that minoxidil can have.

Great! Spray as much minoxidil on your head as you like <_<

"Rogaine works in something like 60% of people" :) Now that's BS!

I only notice my body hair over the last year has got thicker eg back chest legs belly while my hair on top is becoming thinner is that normal or am I a freak ?

No, this doesn't mean you are a freak, it's very common for men suffering from male pattern baldness to have more body hair. It's also nothing unusual to start losing your hair in your early 20's. Many start losing it in their teens, I was one of them <_<

No, this doesn't mean you are a freak, it's very common for men suffering from male pattern baldness to have more body hair. It's also nothing unusual to start losing your hair in your early 20's. Many start losing it in their teens, I was one of them <_<

thanks for your reply !

still what treatments does one reckon meet for me ? or am i f***ked ? is it to late ?

I found this site today and I feel so much better I don’t really understand the big 3 and HT looks too risky. After some research I fell propecia would be the best for me.

The big 3 is broken down on my site - the main weapon in fighting MPB is propecia/Proscar. You can get this from my GP very easily(details on my site)

HT is not risky if performed by a competent DR and is the only way to restore hair that has been lost and can't be regrown by Propecia. I made several mistake with HT'S along the way but found a competent DR in the end.

My advise is get on Propecia/Proscar initially to stop further loss occuring <_<

All the best

Spex

thanks for your reply !

still what treatments does one reckon meet for me ? or am i f***ked ? is it to late ?

Most will tell you to start on finasteride (Propecia/Proscar) as you have already noticed. Chino and others will tell you to spray Regaine (Minoxidil) on your head. Some will tell you to use both.

I would try finasteride, the cheapest and safest place that I know of to get it is from Dr Ashcroft... you can find his number from Spex's web site (www.hair-help.co.uk). What I wouldn't recommend is starting finasteride and minoxidil at the same time because if you do get results, you won't know which is working and you may be using a useless med for years.

I honestly don't believe in minoxidil but chino says my story is BS and it works for 60% of people. Just remember that, as chino says, minoxidil causes an initial shed before it starts working, if it's going to work, which is highly unlikely in my opinion. If you start using minoxidil, you have to use it indefinately and when you do get sick of it and stop using it, you will experience severe hairloss. Your hair can become minoxidil dependant, so that when you stop using it, you can end up worse off than you would have been had you never used it in the first place. In my case the "initial shed" lasted for the 10 months that I used it and the hair I lost never grew back. I personally know several guys who have lost their hair to minoxidil.

It's difficult to know what to do when one person says something and another says the same thing is BS. This is just my advice for someone like you in your position that still has some hair to salvage.

Also, don't get your hopes up too high - even if finasteride does work, it only usually prevents further loss or slows down your hair loss. Very few see any re-growth. I think many guys, especially young guys, are under the impression that they will get on the "Big 3" and will have a full head of hair again, but it just isn't going to happen. I don't mean to depress you but there is no point in giving you false hope as you will only become more depressed later after being disappointed. Another point to remember is that if you take finasteride, you will have to take it indefinately because shortly after you stop using it, you will lose the hair it saved.

Hi RocknRoll, something else I'd like to add is that your hairloss is a natural genetic condition. Yes you have inherited the same genes as your father and grandfather before you. What I mean is dont be blaming yourself for it because its got nothing to do with anything that you have or hav'nt done over the years.

So many times I see new guys thinking that their health is the reason behind it and trying some stupid costly supplements will reverse it.

Male pattern baldness can have a huge negative impact on your life but luckily you have found a good source of info here and can make the right desicions as to what to do. Spex and PB offer sound advice and if you want to know more about hairloss try clicking the link below to my info guide. Hopefully it will help you some more.

Good luck :)

Hi RocknRoll, something else I'd like to add is that your hairloss is a natural genetic condition. Yes you have inherited the same genes as your father and grandfather before you. What I mean is dont be blaming yourself for it because its got nothing to do with anything that you have or hav'nt done over the years.

So many times I see new guys thinking that their health is the reason behind it and trying some stupid costly supplements will reverse it.

Male pattern baldness can have a huge negative impact on your life but luckily you have found a good source of info here and can make the right desicions as to what to do. Spex and PB offer sound advice and if you want to know more about hairloss try clicking the link below to my info guide. Hopefully it will help you some more.

Good luck :)

thanks ever so much guys ! really made me fell so much better and hopeful !

i think i may start using propecia when i get some money in , i read spex site too i cant belive how cool his ht looks ! thanks you your site has give me hope i bet u feel like a teen again with your hair looking so cool ! ;) does it feel great ? Dr Feller sounds like the best too guys !

as i am a skint student i cant see me having a hair transplant untill a few years cos of money wise and i know its impossiable to tell untill my head has been looked at and all but what sort of figures u looking at ? how much did u spent spex ?

once again so gald i fought this site thank you all

:D

Spex hair is cool but he has idea charateristics for a HT. You need to continue your research and get a good understanding of what your gaol is and what actually can be achieved via HT for you.

Spex hair is cool but he has idea charateristics for a HT. You need to continue your research and get a good understanding of what your gaol is and what actually can be achieved via HT for you.

cool but i think i uderstand spex's site and write up ne more areas e.g sites that would be useful for study and research .

all Dr Feller post op pics of people he done a ht on look really great one i day i hope to have mine done in that way !

Sorry PB, I meant that your 'story' is BS, with your story being of how minox is a scam, NOT what happened to you with it as I do fully believe that.

Personally i do not use it, but i have seen the benefits of it many times on many forums. At the same time many people complain about it, but people also complain about finasteride aswell.

I'd just like to point out to the people asking here, that there are also many different products that they can try other than the big 3. There is topical spiro that can be used which is an anti-androgen the same as finasteride except applied topically. I have used this since febuary and have seen minor regrowth with it along the hairline and temples (where I apply it), but nothing that is that substantial.

Also, there are copper peptides. These have been proven to regrow hair, but also help the skin rebuild and protect the hair follicles. These should make existing hair healthier, reduce shedding, and as a bonus provide regrowth if you are extremely lucky. It sounds like Folligen is the best of these copper peptides, with other versions being Tricomin and American Crew Revitalize.

Something I am looking into now, is Nano. This is developed by a guy called Dr. Proctor who is quite well respected in the hair loss community. He claims it is like minoxidil and will promote hair growth. I'm not so sure, but there is a shampoo that I may buy as it's a pretty easy addition to a regime for hair loss.

Other things are topical flutamide, dutasteride, revivogen, saw palmetto, nioxin, lasercomb.

But, so as not to complicate things, finasteride is the most important thing for anyone new to hairloss. Nizoral is also quite, but I am not sure how much as it seems to make me shed a bit more and I've had to cut down to once a week use rather than 2/3 times per week. The rest is up to you, if you can handle applying regaine twice per day, and have your hair look crap, do that if you need regrowth. Everything else is a bit hit and miss as you don't really know if it will work for sure. But stuff like folligen, is cheap and only needs to be applied once, every other day, so maybe that is something to look in to.

Hope this helps

Hahahahahaaha. That's the funnyest site I've seen in my life, it's actually REALLY worth reading LOL

oh right so that site is pure bs is it ? is that true with products on it ?

All the products on it are seen as scams by people on hairloss boards, on every one ive been on. I havn't personally used any of them, but I really wouldn't trust that site or the products on it at all.

Finasteride, Minoxidil (topical not oral), Nizoral, Copper Peptides. Check those out.

There are so many hairloss scams out there, don't believe the hype! The only things clinically proven to slow, halt or reverse hairloss are:

• Finasteride (Propecia, Proscar or a generic version of either)
  • Dustasteride (Avodart or generic versions) - Phase III trials cancelled and drug is only marketed for treatment of BPH. Nevertheless, clinical logic and early results demonstrate superior performance to Finasteride
  • Minoxidil (Regaine and equivalents)

There is also a study indicating the Nizoral may be effective (http://www.regrowth.com/hair_loss_treatments/nizoral_ketoconazole/nizoral_ketoconazole_6.cfm) and although copper peptides are something of an untested long shot, a CP product like Tricomin or Folligen can't hurt.

Everything else is either rubbish or "unproven".

Anyone can market a miracle hairgrowth formula. 2 facts to remember :

Guys losing their hair are easy targets to be conned and exploited. Hairloss makes people desperate they will try product after product hoping each time that the next one will be that elusive cure.

Hairloss is all about genetics. Genetics cannot be changed and it is extremly difficult to overide their effects.

where can i get regaine foam from?

Hi mate. You can't get regaine, u can get rOgaine foam, why is the UK so backwards?! Anyway I get mine from minoxidil-direct.co.uk. I've been using it since the 1st of november, really like using it, but I only use it on the hairline and temples. Hows your hair doing?

reading back some of this thread, it hasn't filled me with confidence about using Minoxidil :blink:

I guess there are always going to be conflicting experiences.

I'm still in two minds about starting it, but I don't think I could bare the 'shedding phase'

Minoxidil has two problems:

1. It's a pain in the arse to apply twice a day

2. It doesn't work very well - though apparently it's more effective for women

You see different response rates claimed on the net, but NHS Direct says "studies suggest that the balding process will slow in about half of those men who use it, and that about 15% of those who use it will experience hair re-growth. However, about a third of men who use minoxidil will not see any change to their hair loss." This is a much worse response rate than Propecia (83% kept or regrew hair after a year).

However, there is a study on PubMed (Comparative efficacy of various treatment regimens for androgenetic alopecia in men Khandpur S, Suman M, Reddy BS. J Dermatol. 2002 Aug;29(8):489-98) which says that "best results [were] recorded with a combination of finasteride and minoxidil". I should also point out that Bryan Shelton, top internet hair loss researcher, has compared the hair counts in various trials of Propecia, Avodart and minoxidil and found - surprisingly - that minox came out on top. Here's his take on things from an old post on the HLT forum...

Averaging all the topical minoxidil data shows an average hair-count increase of +25.1 hairs per month (for that study #6, I'm using just the 12-month data), whereas dutasteride only managed a hair-count increase of +18.0 hairs per month! Finasteride brings up the rear at only +12.0 hairs per month! Summarizing the data is very simple and elegant: dutasteride generates about 50% more regrowth than finasteride (we've been saying that for a long time), and topical minoxidil generates about 50% more regrowth than dutasteride, according to all these studies!

sounds like Minoxidil's too big a gamble, so I'll probably pass.

is it true what PB said up there that your hair can become 'minoxidil dependant'? IF it works at all, it's something that - like finasteride - you have to use indefinitely, and if you stop you undo all the regrowth?

as for dutasteride, does anyone around here take it/found it effective?

is it true what PB said up there that your hair can become 'minoxidil dependant'?

All the hair that you save or regrow while using minoxidil is minoxidil-dependent. You won't be able to use minox, regrow some hair, stop the minox and then maintain the extra with just finasteride.

IF it works at all, it's something that - like finasteride - you have to use indefinitely, and if you stop you undo all the regrowth?

Yes. The only once-off treatment for hair loss is a transplant.

as for dutasteride, does anyone around here take it/found it effective?

It's more powerful, stays in your bloodstream longer, is more expensive, and carries a slightly higher risk of side effects than finasteride. There isn't much data on its effectiveness; it certainly generates a higher hair count over six months, but that may just be because it promotes a faster response. After a year or two, you might not be much better off than you would have been with Propecia. We just don't know.