Ahmed18

Im 18 And Im Thinning!, I Need Help Please

My confidence is really getting crushed. I noticed a bit of thinning when I was 17-16 but it was nothing serious. Now I’m 18 my hair has got a lot lighter in weight, lost its volume, turning soft, downy and slightly browner. As before it was strong jet-black hair and totally the opposite of everything it is now. I can see a lot more of my scalp and its seriously scary. I’m 18 and a student, I’m suppose to be living it up with my student life but all I can think about is my hair and it’s seriously depressing.

I’ve been on regaine extra strength for a month now and I use it twice a day spraying it 6 times with the extended applicator on each application. All I’ve noticed so far is that it makes my scale a lot shinier and my hair feel brittle. I’ve also noticed that my 60ml bottle has not run out yet and its been a month and there is still quite a bit in it but I spray it 6 times on each application so it should have run out by now. So that seems quite strange.

I defiantly want to take propecia as well my topical treatment but the NHS is taking the piss at giving me a private prescription. Iv been waiting months and all my GP did was refer me to dermatology department and all they did is send in people to look at my hair like I was freak show. After that I have not heard anything from them. I’m seriously stuck and scared and crushed. Someone please help me.

Hi there - and welcome!

If your wanting to get on propecia give my GP a call. The info is in my signature.

It's still early days to see any benefit from minoxodil - it takes 4/5 months to start to see any benefit and then you must continue on it to sustain and improve results.

Look into the big 3 topic this will help you a great deal i think!

"The big 3"

Spex

Will regaine really work though? And is it suppose to make my scalp shiny and hair all brittle? Do u you use propecia? Has that worked?

Thanks

ahmed18

Propecia is undoubtedly the best weapon against DHT as its a blocker - Minox is a regrowth agent predominantly!

I've been on propecia 6 yrs and it's held my back solid! :D

I am thinking at his age, perhaps he should tried natural topical remedy instead.

Fin , minox should be at a later stage if other remedy does not workout.

Lance

CHeer!

Hey

I have been on the same bottle of regaine for 5 weeks and I don’t know why it has not run out yet. I got the extended applicator and I spray it 7 times twice a day. Is it normal for my hair to soak up most of the regaine and most of it stays on my fingers so it never feels like the scalp soaks it up.

thanks

I think most people use the "dropper". So if your applying 2x 1ml (plus a bit more) a day to the temples and scalp then you'll soon use up a bottle in less than a month.

Cheers for the regaine advice.

I got an appointment with my GP on Monday; I hope he gives me the private prescriptions for propecia. I’m sick of the NHS taking the piss coz this hair loss i thing is becoming obsessive. Want to get on propecia ASAP along with regaine, see improvements in a few months so then I can have that smile back on my face. If my GP doesn’t give me that private prescription then what do I do? I’m really fu*ked then. Plus last time I saw my GP he didn’t have much knowledge about hair loss and medication.

Cheers

Ahmed18

If your GP perscribes it it will cost you £30 a month!!

Why not get it from Spex's gp?? 15month supply for £120 .. you do the maths :D

read the posts about spex gp!

Info for Propecia/Proscar is in my signature - hope this info helps

spex

Hey, I’ve just ordered my first 3 month supply of propeica but it was hard coz my parents have just had a go at me saying that all these chemicals are going to make me lose the hair I already got, that its bad for me, 3 months down the line I will have no hair left, etc. It’s really shaken me up because I got a prescription from the Dr. so I thought they would be more supportive. Now I’m starting to regret ordering the supply of propecia and even using regaine.

All this sounds lame and stupid but this hair loss issue has become really sensitive that little things affect me.

Cheers.

hey, i came on here nearly a month ago and i went to see my gp and had blood tests and everything, and they were all fine, so i may just be losing it all naturally earlier, bit gay i no but ive started to get used to that fact, although i am probably going to see someone at the st johns H******* for skin and hair in london, its still not all bad.

my friends dont give a hoot about it, as long as i dont act like a moron when im losing it, and i think hair loss isnt so much about how much hair you have, but accepting the facts

this is what ive come to find and i dont think chemicals are amazing because you would have to keep on using them, just my opinion but there you go lol

cheers

cas

Hey.

I’m now 3 days into propeica and 7 weeks into regaine 5%. Anyways I have a few pictures I took of my hair before treatment. I was wondering if I could e-mail to someone who has more experience with hair loss than me so that they can analyse the damage. I just want someone’s advice or opinion from the pictures.

Cheers. Ahmed 18

hey

does regaine make any1s hair all crunchy, lighter with flakely scaple? lol. its annoying coz it takes ages to dry aswell so i cant style it.

cheers

hey

does regaine make any1s hair all crunchy, lighter with flakely scaple? lol. its annoying coz it takes ages to dry aswell so i cant style it.

cheers

i REALLY wudnt recommend you using any styling stuff in your hair if its thinning, when you go to wash it out it'll all be coming out much faster!!

Ahmed

i am just 19 i have had a similar problem for the last year. My hair is just slowly thinning mainly at the sides.

my Doc thinks its stress of A levels and now Uni. he thinks I should see a counsellor.

My family say I use heated straightners too much to spike up my hair. My scalp seems to itch a lot but the GP says he can't see anything and its not male patterned baldness. i saw a trichologist and she also said its not male pattern baldness

I sympathise with the way you are feeling I am in a panic most times too.

I am waiting to see a Dermatologist i hope they treat me a bit different. Do you use anything to style your hair and have you ever used heat directly onto it.

yo james.

If it’s thinning at the sides I don’t think its MPB. Might be stress related.

I started thinning when I started my A Levels I gave it this summer to see if it would improve. The GP's examined me, they said I was going thin on top but it was unusual. They took the piss to give me advice like the NHS does. So I took matters into my own hands, taking propecia and regaine.

I had a bad day at uni today coz loads of people all of a sudden noticed I was thinning. I think it might be too late for me to improve on my hair.

Is there anyone out there with experience so I can send them pictures to examine the damage. I already got much appreciated advice from spex. I just want more points of views.

awwwwww man. i cant take it with these bald comments anymore :-(. my parents are even startin to take the piss. its crushing me big time. wish i could forward to clock to 6 months time to see if i'm happier from the results of propeica and 5% minox. i got a small patch at the mid-front of my head thats becoming more noticable.

sorry for the pointless comment, just wanted to go somewhere to express my feelings and let it out.

I totally understand your anxiety mate - have you thought about using Toppik as a concealer to thicken the appearence of you hair up whilst you allow the meds to work their stuff.

Toppik got me though many months of lows! :blink:

Remember these comments made to you are all throw away comments! No one will understand the impact they have on you unless they are hair loss suffers themselves. Try not beat your self up about it mate - i know its hard!!

What does shedding a lot mean? How many strands are we talking bout on average. Also how long does the phase last?

I looked on the Nizerol website and it said nothing about DHT or helping to stop hair loss. It just talks about dandruff. :-S

Cheers for the support so far guys :-)

Ahmed

I can't tell you anything to make you feel better but I can offer my own experience.

I always knew I would go grey earlier than most when my parents noticed my first grey hair at 15. When I hit my early 20's they started to come in a little more and I would feel awful when someone pointed them out. Now I am used to them and quite like them (I'm 32.)

I also started to thin slightly when I was 21. The first time I noticed I was at my girlfriend's one night. I went to use her bathroom which had a very bright light over the mirror and all of a sudden I was seeing way too much scalp. I was distraught. She didn't care but it bugged the hell out of me and I hated it and would have done anything to change it. I started looking at everyone else's hair and comparing mine to theirs etc and it really got me down.

My thinning hasn't got much worse but it hasn't got any better. The difference now is I know I have options. I was hoping to meet Spex on his recent trip to London but my schedule wouldn't allow it (next time!)

Anyway, the point I am trying to make with the girlfriend story is that this is a much bigger deal for you than for anyone else. I am sure if your parents and your friends knew how much it upset you they wouldn't tease you about it. You are going to be more self conscious about this than anyone - that's only natural.

You are on propecia now and you have caught the problem early. There's a lot of knowledgeable people on this board who will try to help you as opposed to sell you stuff. I know it's hard but you should try and focus on where you might be after taking propecia for 6 months. The rest is all down to you.

Good luck and keep your chin up! :blink:

One more thing...

I can tell this is really affecting you at the moment but think about this:

You can't CHOOSE whether or not to go bald but you can CHOOSE whether or not you let it affect you. You can CHOOSE to take fin, minox etc or shave your head. I think if you can aopt this mind set it might help you.

Draw a line under this and choose not to let it get you down.

I am in the same state, but the fact is every1 says i look stupid with my head shaved, and i do, i looked so much better with hair, it really suited my appearance. My eyebrows are too dark and thick to have my head shaved. :angry:

cheers for the support trigun, it has made me look at my hair loss in a different way. i just need to focus on what it will be like in 6 months time. I wouldnt mind going bald if i had one of those faces that suited a bald head but i'v only ever looked good with long hair, even when my hair is short it looks shit lol.

so Trigun....did you treat your hair loss? and if so did you notice an improvment?

also i noticed alot more hair in the sink and on my pillow lately, i aint that alarmed because shedding is a good sign for things to come coz it shows the medication is working.... well i hope its true from what i read. when people shed alot, exactly how many hairs we talkin about? .......40-50? 50-70+?

Hi Ahmed

Glad my post helped. Doing something about my hair loss will be something I really tackle in the new year. I hope to meet Spex and discuss taking fin in person. I started using Nizoral twice a week and added zinc and B vits to my diet so that's a start anyway.

Some people look good with a shaved head but I am not one of these either. If you were Jason Statham or someone like that having a shaved head wouldn't be so bad eh?

In any case, you are only 18 right? (lucky bastard :angry: ) so six months will go by pretty quickly.