PB_

Pb_'s Hair Transplant With Dr Feller Nov 17, 2005

Here it is, Feller Medical... went in here at 7:40 am Nov 17, 2005

287NB.JPG

I met Dr Feller and he took some before pics, took my money ;) and then drew in a hairline. I asked if he could bring the front a little more forward to create a bit of a "widow's peak" instead of the more circular hairline he initially drew. He made the changes and agreed that it looked good. He explained that he couldn't bring it down any more or fill in the recessions because it wouldn't look natural and that he had to make it work with what was at the sides. I suppose I would need the whole back of my head transplanting onto my forehead to give me a straight line hairline anyway. So this is it, sort of a "mature" hairline (my hair wasn't really as thick as it appears in that picture - unfortunately):

before01s.JPG

Here's a pic taken this summer with wet hair brushed back - as you can see here the front 1/3 is just about bald but when dry the few remaining hairs can give some surprising coverage when combed in the right way... I was even worse than this afte Rogaine made me lose even more hair:

DrFeller2%20001b.jpg

I met the rest of the staff and Dr Feller buzzed down the strip area and drew in the area to be excised. I then lay down on a massage-type bed and had the back of my head injected with an anesthetic - Dr Feller said that this would be the worst part of it all. It didn't feel bad at all. The strip was then removed and the techs started removing the follicular units from the strip as Dr Feller closed the donor scar. The recipient area was then shaved - the remaining hair was so thin that Dr Feller said it didn't exist as far as he was concerned and that it definitely wouldn't be there after a couple of years... so no need to worry about shock loss - he had a clean area to work with. The anesthetic injections in the front were more painful than the ones in the back, especially in the (new) hairline area. The pain wasn't unbearable or anything and didn't last long - after that I didn't feel a thing. I had a total of 2700 grafts in the front and Dr Feller and the techs said that my skin was excellent to work with and easy to pack the grafts in close to each other. They said that the problem with some patients is that when they try to place a graft close to other grafts, 4 or 5 grafts can pop out again. With my scalp the grafts stayed there once planted. Dr Feller said that my skin was supple too which helped and I wasn't a bleeder either. It was finally over at around 4 pm. One of the nurses explained the post-op stuff and also gave me the post-op instructions on paper. I was prescribed some painkillers and a member of the staff called in the prescription at the CVS pharmacy in Great Neck and I picked up the meds on the way back to the railway station. This is what I looked like after getting back to the hotel:

ImmedPostOp01.jpg

And these pics were taken Nov 22, 5 days post-op - when I look in the mirror I can see all the little grafts and it doesn't really look red - in the photo you can hardly see the hairs and it looks all red and scabby :) :

5DaysPostOp01.jpg

Here's a view from the back - see what I mean about the "missing hair"?

5DaysPostOp02.jpg

My Wife removed the stitches 9 days post-op - the following pictures were taken 27.11.2005, 10 days post-op:

Here's a shot of the scar from the back (see how hair is growing back along the sides of the scar after being shaved):

10DaysPostOp01.jpg

...and from the side

10DaysPostOp02.jpg

And here's how the grafts and recipient area has progressed:

10DaysPostOp04.jpg

Great post PB - Your looking sweet! The area around the scar has been shaved down so it will appear a bit naked so to speak - this will soon sort itself out.

Give it a bit of time my man and try not sctrutinize! i know its tough! :)

Spex

congrats mate hope all went well

Thanks Jayjay! Yes all went well - the stitches are a pain but otherwise I'm fine.

PB_

I think once you get the stitches out things will be better. I slept like crap as well for the first 2 weeks post-op, no way to sleep comfortably with them in. Once you get the stiches out some dermatch will cover the scar area until the hair surrounding it grows back. Btw I would rub a ton of aloe vera gel all over my donor area when wasking my hair daily , im sure it helped to keep things healthy.

Indeed once those stiches are out - its all good!

Some dermatch or courve will defo help any thining areas appear thicker! :)

I've been sleeping OK, I've been sleeping too much, like 10 or 11 hours... if I sleep on the side of my head I'm OK but I've always got a bit of pain and scalp-tightness upon waking. I didn't take any pain killers yesterday for the first time post-op. I can't actually feel the scar now with all the stubble - if I run my finger along where the scar is it feels like a tooth brush. When I wear my cap, the band on the cap pushes the hair above the scar down and covers the gap. I'll have to wear a cap to cover the recipient area anyway. Everybody would piss themselves laughing if I went to work looking like I do right now :) Infact a balaclava might be a better idea...

PB_

I think once you get the stitches out things will be better. I slept like crap as well for the first 2 weeks post-op, no way to sleep comfortably with them in. Once you get the stiches out some dermatch will cover the scar area until the hair surrounding it grows back. Btw I would rub a ton of aloe vera gel all over my donor area when wasking my hair daily , im sure it helped to keep things healthy.

Hi Zimmy,

did you wait two weeks to get the stitches out? I was thinking about letting my wife have a go at removing them this sunday, 10 days post op... is that too soon? I have been using aloa vera on both the donor and recipient areas. The back of my head feels normal now, it was sort of numb for a few days afer the surgery but the nerves must have reconnected themselves already.

PB_

Looking great pb..zimmy is right get those stiches out and a bit of dermatch and your laughing :)

Thanks George! I think it might be a few months before I'm laughing though... :(

PB_

did you wait two weeks to get the stitches out? I was thinking about letting my wife have a go at removing them this sunday, 10 days post op... is that too soon? I have been using aloa vera on both the donor and recipient areas. The back of my head feels normal now, it was sort of numb for a few days afer the surgery but the nerves must have reconnected themselves already.

PB_

No it was 11 days post-op I think I took them out. Not as sore as I thought it would be!

Is it o.k for someone not trained to remove the stitches??

Yeah - just make sure you use sterilised equipment ie - scissors and tweezers

spex

My stitches are somehow unraveling themselves :D There's an inch and a half without any stitching! My head hasn't fallen apart though, it had healed before the stitches came undone. Just inspected the scar, it is looking quite good - it really is just a thin white line - should look OK in a few months time when the surrounding hair grows back. I'm relieved about the scar because my daughter had knee surgery a while ago and her scar spread and she has a thick red 10 inch scar on her knee - I was afreaid of getting something similar on my head. Infact I'd say my scar in incredible - I was afraid to have a close look, afraid of what I might find but it's surprisingly thin and not red at all.

Yeah Ian, I should imagin it would be quite painful pulling a knot through all those holes :lol:

Is it o.k for someone not trained to remove the stitches??

Yeah, why not... there are plenty up untrained butchers doing HT's in the UK so removing stitches shouldn't be a problem :D

i wouldn't trust a u.k ht surgeon to even do that :D

this is a joke don't get your knickers in a twist

My wife took the stitches out today - didn't hurt at all. I was going to wait until tomorrow but my wife said it looked like the stitches had dug into my scalp and skin was growing over them so decided to take them out right away. Scraped the crust off my recipient area with a hairbrush a bit. My wife was very proud of herself about getting the stitches out and we think she should start doing HT's in the UK now. Now that I've had an HT myself I think I've got the hang of it - anyone interested in being my first patient at PB_Medical? Only £2/graft.

Does that come with a cup of tea, a biscuit and a massage from your wife? B)

Tea and a biscuit (note singular) and scalp massage from the wife are included for 2500+ Strips... (and free stitch removal if you are still alive 10 days post-op :) )

My wife took the stitches out today - didn't hurt at all. I was going to wait until tomorrow but my wife said it looked like the stitches had dug into my scalp and skin was growing over them so decided to take them out right away. Scraped the crust off my recipient area with a hairbrush a bit. My wife was very proud of herself about getting the stitches out and we think she should start doing HT's in the UK now. Now that I've had an HT myself I think I've got the hang of it - anyone interested in being my first patient at PB_Medical? Only £2/graft.

Maybe,can you give me a hairline?

Maybe,can you give me an Armani "style" hairline? 

Of course - at PB_Medical UK you can have your hairline blended into your eyebrows if you want :)