joe101

Noob Hair Transplant Question

If I were to get some hair transplanted onto my crown and temples/front, then that would now be completely resistant to MPB/DHT?

but after that, the hair in between the transplant and the back/sides would still be vulnerbale and could start balding at any time. Then it would look ridiculous and you'd need more HTs, but if you couldn't afford any more you'd be screwed?

is that something to think about?

If I were to get some hair transplanted onto my crown and temples/front, then that would now be completely resistant to MPB/DHT?

but after that, the hair in between the transplant and the back/sides would still be vulnerbale and could start balding at any time. Then it would look ridiculous and you'd need more HTs, but if you couldn't afford any more you'd be screwed?

is that something to think about?

Transplanted hair is DHT resistant.

An ethical surgeon might well not HT into both areas now and might focus on the priority area - the front.

Its a good idea to stabilise loss via treatments prior to venturing down the HT road.

Best

Spex

The donor hair is taken from the "horseshoe" area. Those follicles are almost always DHT resistant and once transplanted will grow on top of your head for as long as you live. Very few men go completely bald due to male pattern baldness - even NW7 guys have that rim of DHT resistant hair.

The donor hair is taken from the "horseshoe" area. Those follicles are almost always DHT resistant and once transplanted will grow on top of your head for as long as you live. Very few men go completely bald due to male pattern baldness - even NW7 guys have that rim of DHT resistant hair.

but what about the hair "in between" the HT and the horseshoe? there's the possibility that Finasteride becomes less effective over time, and if that 'in between' hair starts to thin or fall out, it'l llook crazy

is that a possibility or will the surgeon implant the HT follicles at the point where they meet the horseshoe, so it'll look natural?

It all depends on how much hair you have lost, has your hair loss stabilized or not, age etc. You would have to compromise eg. if you still have hair at the front but want to reduce the temporal recessions, you could have the temporal areas done and then wait to see how your hair loss progresses. You could then have the front third filled in and you would still have a normal looking hair loss pattern if you lost the hair behind. I don't think it would be a good idea to have the temporal areas and crown done. I have had my front third done and a "sprinkling" of transplanted hair into my crown. The area in between is natural. I was 45 though when I had my first HT and my hair loss had stabilized years before that so it is unlikely that I'll lose all the hair in between. If you are in your 20's and rapidly losing hair, what I had done wouldn't be a good idea. As I had the whole front third done and not just the temporal areas, I don't think I would look abnormal even if I did lose the rest of my hair. I was completely bald at the front, had good coverage in the bridge area and a thin crown. The "sprinkling" of transplanted hair in my crown brought my crown density up to match the bridge area and the front third is slightly thicker than my bridge and crown but not drastically thicker and it blends in well with the natural bridge hair behind. I'm now 52 and haven't lost any more hair since my transplants. I've never used any meds so in my case there isn't a risk the meds becoming ineffective. If I did suddenly go bald, I could just buzz the transplanted hairs from my crown and keep the horse shoe and front third hair and still look like many bald men do that have kept their hair at the front naturally but have a bald crown. Dr Feller designed my front third transplant with possible further hair loss in mind - the back of my front third transplant is circular (not a straight line across my head) so if i do lose the hair behind i will be left with a natural-looking circular bald crown. So far I still have full coverage, so no problems yet... I hope this made sense, I typed this on my iPhone lying in bed :D