Sign in to follow this  
donald

Temple Recession And Thinning On Top

Hi there

I am a man thinking about how to address my hair loss issues. I have been receeding at the temples and have noticed a slight thinning on top. Hopefully still at the stage where I can help stop it getting worse. What would peoples advise be. Would Propecia be the best treatment? If I were to at some stage have some hair replacement treatment but still took propecia. I have this horrible vision of a hairline but nothing heading back :( . I believe they can only cover some much of your head with follicals. Please give some opinions if you can. Cheers

Propecia and ht's go hand in hand - as propecia prevents further loss.

It all depends on your individual loss pattern/ characteristics and their goal.

Its all about supply and demand - if you donor area is sufficient then there is a higher chance of greater coverage.

Everyone is different and without seeing pics or better still meeting you its very hard to assess your situ.

Best course of action would be to get on propecia with your loss pattern as it sounds as though you've got a great deal of hair left to salvage and prevent losing anymore.

The most important thing when embarking on a ht is stopping further loss as this will allow you to achieve a much better cosmetic look and get you there a great deal quicker.

Propecia unfortunately doesn't often regrow hair in the temples and is more successful in the mid/back section - therefore a ht in theory might benefit you in the front whilst propecia will take care of the back.

There is always the concern that propecia might lose its abilitly to prevent further loss and this is the risk we take but if you embark on a ht with an ethical experience Dr then they will automatically take further loss into consideration and plan accordinly for the future.

Hope this helps

Spex

i'm waiting to see the benefits from taking propecia before i get a hair transplant. hopefully it will enable me to have less work done. spex advised me to take it for several months before thinking about getting a transplant. makes sense! :(

No to my knowledge although i know a number of users who have been on it that long and it's holding them solid.

Proprecia has been perscibed for hairloss since 1992 so i'm suprised merk haven't done a 10 yr chart to show the benefits from taking it.

I know there's a 5 yr chart out there - its on this board somewhere - had a quick look but could find it.

Spex

Also another thing, because of the hair used for a hairline is it as flexiable as the orginal hair does it grow in a different way. I had a look at your photos very impressive, how many hairs were transferred in total?

Single hair grafts are used in the hairline in order to create a soft natrual zone - they are positioned at the appropriate angle/direction in order to imitate what mother nature intended.

In total i've recieved 4000 grafts - 900 of those with Dr Feller to finsh me off. The hairline is the most important part of a HT as its the part everyone sees and frames your face.

Recent hairline pic

regards

spex

thanks for the help, i guess propecia is the first step and then if things continue to receed then the photos of HT's are very convincing. Are they any drugs that are proven to stop hairlines receeding further?

Propecia is the best proven way to prevent further loss. If for some reason your not a responder theres Dutasteride/Avodart but i recommend you start off with Propecia/proscar and see how you repond.

FYI -

Dutasteride and finasteride (PROPECIA) are both 5-alpha-reductase (5AR) inhibitors. Both treatments work by inhibiting 5AR, the enzyme responsible for converting testosterone to dihydrotestosterone (DHT). DHT is the primary androgen in the prostate. It is a primary factor in the development and progression of benign prostatic hyperplasia (BPH) and other prostate diseases and is also a major cause of hair loss.

.5mg - 2.5mg of Dutasteride provides better results in hair maintenance/regrowth as opposed to Finasteride

However, the benefit likely comes from its higher inhibition of type II 5ar not its suppression of type I 5ar. Merck tested a specific type I 5ar inhibitor called "MK386" in a human trial and found it had no effect on balding.

Jumping on the Dutasteride bandwagon before the Finasteride bandwagon is not a good idea. For most men Finasteride is enough to halt and even reverse MPB... In the off-chance your body becomes tolerant of Finasteride (over the years) you always have Dutasteride to fall back on...

Side-effects on Dutasteride may be more common, any such sides would last longer as the half-life of Dutasteride is much longer then Finasteride, and unlike type II 5ar type I 5ar *is* present in brain tissue. Finally, keep in mind that DHT is not an evil androgen that just causes hairloss. Various bodily functions benefit from DHT. Finasteride inhibits 65% overall DHT levels leaving 35% for your body to use (most of that 35% is from the type I 5ar that isnt a big factor in hairloss). Dutasteride inhibits 90% or more overall DHT levels leaving 10% or less for your body...

Basically, use Finasteride **first** and only resort to Dutasteride if you must.

This is just my opinion

spex

ok will do i think, what are your thoughts on long term propecia use. Do you think that is has a shelf life of 10 years as some suggest? regarding your doctor, do you need to be in the UK to benefit from his services?

Thanks again

The life expectency of propecia has not been studied past 5 yrs but i've have been on it nearly 7 yrs and still solid - i believe that its effectiveness will continue - but everyone is different so its hard to say.

My gp can only perscribe to guys in the U.K - due to drug laws

spex

ok no worries. As I mentioned earlier that is my fear of HR. When you have a meet with a HR doctor can they assess your likely future baldness pattern. The thought of Propecia not working after 10 years with a nice full hairline is probably worse than the though of going bald. If propecia was to start becoming ineffective is there an alternative drug that would counteract the immunity of propecia?

sorry you did already answer that question. I have quite fine straight dark hair, what type of hair makes you a good HT candidate. How far in the future do you think that hair will be able to reproduce in the lab. Am I right in saying that you can only use your own hair for HT. In theory if this became available would that mean even a fully bald person would be able to get a full hair transplant?

How far in the future do you think that hair will be able to reproduce in the lab.  Am I right in saying that you can only use your own hair for HT.  In theory if this became available would that mean even a fully bald person would be able to get a full hair transplant?

According to this three or four years...

And yes, you can only have your own hair transplanted - in practice. I think you would have to be on anti-rejection meds for the rest of your life if you had somebody elses hair transplanted (like people who have had organ transplants). I read that scientists are planning to do a face-transplant (on a burn victim). I doubt that being bald would make you a good candidate for a scalp transplant though... You could always set fire to your head and see if that would improve your chances ;)

PB

knowing my luck id be given an afro, would be difficuly to explain that hair difference to people....... intresting article this month on the mayer flap in mens health, a new technique for hair transplant although the photos do have a touch of the donald trumps about them.