Sign in to follow this  
julie

Regaine

Hi Just wondering if anyone out there has any advice for me? My son has been using regaine now for 18 months with no visible hair regrowth. then 3 months ago he started taking Propecia on a private perscription from the Doc, in anyones opinion is it still advisible to stay on the Regaine? even though he's had no re growth or stop using it and just carry on with the Propecia? I think he's frightened of coming off the Regaine in case he has had some re growth and loses it, please any advice would be really welcomejava script:emoticon(':)',%20'smid_3')

Julie i was in the same situ some years back,i had used reg for just over 3 years on its own at the time,i had a hatred of the stuff.the regime of twice daily,my hair always looking matted,wet/crap,and the fact it was just making my hairloss worse.but was scared to come off it at the same time

I was on a continual shedd all the while,But as it was the only thing i was useing i was worried that if i stopped the whole lot would go.in the end i decided to give pro/fin a go,despite the scare stories AHS had told me.

I got 12 months of use under my belt on pro/fin and then dumped the regaine,it felt great just not having to go through the regime of putting the crap on twice daily,let alone not missing the dry itchy flakey sore head.

I also found that some 6 months after stopping use of regaine i had a lot of hair regrowth,this was the hair that was on a continual shedd.

I have been on only pill med's now for the last 5 years (6 all in total),it has held my hairloss solid,i have had some great gains/regrowth and still get a little new growth even now.the best result i have had was on advice from Spex on a meet up i had with him in Sept 06,he told me to switch from pro/fin to avo/dut as most of the Doctors had seen some fantastic results on it.i made the switch and too had some great results/regrowth.even being on pro/fin i am sure he will hold any gains he has made while on regaine,infact i am sure in 12 months time his hair will be a whole lot better after stopping use of it.

Julie i was in the same situ some years back,i had used reg for just over 3 years on its own at the time,i had a hatred of the stuff.the regime of twice daily,my hair always looking matted,wet/crap,and the fact it was just making my hairloss worse.but was scared to come off it at the same time

I was on a continual shedd all the while,But as it was the only thing i was useing i was worried that if i stopped the whole lot would go.in the end i decided to give pro/fin a go,despite the scare stories AHS had told me.

I got 12 months of use under my belt on pro/fin and then dumped the regaine,it felt great just not having to go through the regime of putting the crap on twice daily,let alone not missing the dry itchy flakey sore head.

I also found that some 6 months after stopping use of regaine i had a lot of hair regrowth,this was the hair that was on a continual shedd.

I have been on only pill med's now for the last 5 years (6 all in total),it has held my hairloss solid,i have had some great gains/regrowth and still get a little new growth even now.the best result i have had was on advice from Spex on a meet up i had with him in Sept 06,he told me to switch from pro/fin to avo/dut as most of the Doctors had seen some fantastic results on it.i made the switch and too had some great results/regrowth.even being on pro/fin i am sure he will hold any gains he has made while on regaine,infact i am sure in 12 months time his hair will be a whole lot better after stopping use of it.

Hi Thanks for getting back to me, pardon my ignorance but what is avo/dut? It's really hard for my son as he's only 19 and really worried about his hair loss, it affects all the family and i want to help him anyway i can.

Julie no problem,avo/dut is short for the drug avodart/dutasteride,this drug is not marketed specifically as a hairloss drug,its makers glaxo are/have tested and did want to go that route.

It is a stronger drug in the fact it blocks both enzymes, that then turn into DHT that make hair fall out.

Pro/fin or propecia/finasteride only blocks the one enzyme.