Sign in to follow this  
spex

New Developments For Fue

The Introduction of a New FUE Instrument

By Dr. Alan S. Feller

IPB Image

I would like to announce the unveiling of a new tool designed specifically for the performance of Follicular Unit Extraction (FUE) surgery. It is my hope that every doctor already performing FUE surgery, or those who would simply like to start offering this wonderful procedure to their patients, will explore this new tool and perhaps add it to their own clinical practice.

Incorporated into its design are practical solutions to problems that have plagued the FUE industry since it’s introduction to the Western Hemisphere in 2001. Deleterious forces resulting in graft damage during FUE procedures such as: Torsion, Traction, Compression, Overheating, and Desiccation are addressed and minimized using this new instrument like none other.

This tool also offers the unique combination of LOWERING operator skill level requirements while actually RAISING the quality of each and every extraction. This translates to faster “ramp-up” times for new doctors interested in adding FUE Hair Transplant surgery to their practices; as well as making for easy and near seamless integration into clinics that already offer FUE to their patients.

This device allows not only for greater quality of extraction, but greater speed as well. Much greater. And all without any extra risk to the grafts themselves. The same cannot be said of other FUE tools on the market.

All these unique benefits result in far less fatigue for the doctors, technicians, and patients. It’s important not to forget this all important (but often ignored) human factor because in the end any “work product” will only be as good as the vitality, enthusiasm, and confidence possessed by the doctor and team at the time of the procedure.

The obvious purpose of the tool is to facilitate the FUE procedure for practitioners; but that is only part of a far greater strategy: the sparking of a new and legitimate industry that’s inclusive of ALL practitioners-novice and veteran alike.

The bigger picture is to elevate the current “cottage industry” status of FUE to a more mainstream role in hair transplantation; and to forever strip away the mystery, hype, and secrecy with which it has been unnecessarily surrounded by since it’s inception.

All clinics are welcome to this tool. I will not veil it in secrecy nor will I falsely claim it as the “magic wand” of FUE. As a veteran FUE practitioner I could claim this device solely for my own HT clinics and advertise it as such to gain a competitive edge.

However, for this field to grow, the credibility and exposure of the FUE technique must increase, and I can think of no better way to achieve this than offering a device that makes it easier for hundreds or thousands of other doctors to get into the FUE field themselves. Once they get a taste of the success I’ve had with FUE over the past 7 years, a greater number of doctors will join the FUE ranks. More successful FUE practitioners means greater numbers of satisfied patients, and thus a more popular procedure with ever increasing demand. Everyone wins.

My company, Advanced FUE Tools, Inc. is not just some name I slapped on the door of my current HT practice clinics just to sell a few tools. Rather, it is a well supported and financed group of businessmen, master-machinists, draftsmen, technicians, problem-solvers, thinkers, and attorneys, who have dedicated themselves to the development of this product for years. Like an actual FUE procedure, TEAMWORK is what made this device not only a reality, but a clinically practical and useful one at that.

I’ve used this tool, or fundamental aspects of it, through various generations of such devices for just about every FUE procedure that I’ve posted on the web since 2003. This means it has been used and tested for years.

Each component of this device taken in-and-of itself separately, or combined as one device, has a proven “real-world” track record. This established pedigree was something I insisted on for years before going public with it. Now is the time for this tool to join the pantheon of practical medical devices that helped form and shape hair transplantation into the enormously successful industry it has become.

I have avoided lengthy technical detail in this write-up as I felt it went beyond the scope of an introduction. Doctors may of course contact me directly if they have any specific questions or concerns.

I will be offering much more information and multi-media about the device in the near future, but wanted to introduce not only the device, but some of the thought and philosophy that made the design and production of this new FUE instrument a reality.

Feller Medical, PC

Great Neck, NY

516-487-3797

Link to topic being discussed on HTN

Cant believe this hasnt had a response on here???? this is very interesting indeed, and i look forward to any more updates/technical details/capabilities of this tool! All good!

Hey TT, Hope you are well!!

More details to follow in due course - Bet your tempted hey - ;)

Hi mate - not as yet other than the info discussed by the doc on the HTN topic. Link is in first post.

Hope you are well mate B)

A response from the doc who has been away:

Thanks for the comments.

There are many ways to skin a cat- my method, along with our new instrumentation, is just one of them. I am in no way impugning the good FUE skills and methods of other established FUE doctors. Rather, I am just offering up a new tool and method that may facilitate the FUE process for both amateur and expert alike.

FUE is a physically challenging procedure for a dedicated doctor and staff. Ironically, the more successful an FUE doctor becomes, the more he physically suffers as well- which is exactly why I invented this tool.

My new instrument is not being offered up as a “magic wand” for FUE. Nor will I allow it to be hyped as such. Like any new tool it takes practice and dedication to use proficiently. What I do strongly claim is that it will reduce the burden on both doctor and staff while at the same time speeding up the procedure-all without sacrificing quality.

For the novice it will shorten the amount of time and skill necessary to become a proficient FUE doctor.

Experienced and conscientious FUE doctors do not NEED to use this device. However, if they do decide to use it they will find out that they can still achieve the same high quality results- but with greater speed and less physical strain.

Advanced FUE Instruments, Inc., the licensee and owner of the technology, will have a booth at the upcoming ISHRS meeting in Amsterdam to answer the questions of any and all doctors interested in finding out more about this new device. Any doctor may call me at my office if they wish to speak before the meeting.

I did not build this tool to make a financial fortune. The market is simply too small for that, so it’s just not going to happen. I built it because it needed to be built and nobody else would do it. FUE is finding it’s niche, but in the realm of cosmetic surgery it’s still a “backwater” procedure-and it shouldn’t be.

I am thankful to Dr. Bisanga, Dr. Iter, Dr. Devroye, Dr. Feriduni, and several more whose names I’m forgetting for helping to bring FUE this far through their own methods and good work, but there needs to be MORE of us performing credible FUE. Much more. The only way to do this is by taking some of the burden off the doctor and putting it onto technology. This tool was designed to do just that- and it does. This opens the door for hundreds and perhaps thousands of more doctors to join the FUE ranks.

No established FUE doctor should see this tool as a threat. Just the opposite, they should see it as a long awaited instrument that will provide them with the well deserved respite they have long sought since performing their first FUE extraction. As for myself, I will NEVER go back to manual FUE ever again. I doubt any experienced FUE surgeon would either after using this tool.

i wonder if this tool will enable more people to be a good candidate for fue.

will it overcome the squishy skin problem that makes extracting difficult?

will it overcome the squishy skin problem that makes extracting difficult?

Not necessarily - squishy skin is squishy skin - i believe it certainly helps in a variety of areas in problematic FUE cases though. It makes FUE less labour intensive.

As an engineer and a potential FUE candidate, I am very keen to understand the workings of this new tool and its full benefits to patients. Ironically, when I read the limitations of FUE on Feller medical webside concerning shear and tortional forces, high frequency vibration was an obvious candidate to overcome these limitations in my mind. However, my understanding is that the hand tool is used based on feel to cut along the path of the hair strand to avoid slicing the hair shaft or damaging the root and the surrounding bulb, sebaceous gland etc. How does this tool address the 'feel' factor? has there been a trial performed successfully? Will the reduction in labour skill / time cascade to the patient to make FUE a cost effective solution?

PS whilst we are on the subject of sebaceous glands, I must report that I have expereinced a sudden and unexpected appearance of "noticeable" wrinkles under and around my eyes in the last few days - some 6 months after starting on Finasteride. Unbeknown to me, DHT has various functions in the body which I now have learnt have been seriously under reported including that it is the primary androgen in lubrication of the skin via the sebaceous glands. Of course, it takes several months for the DHT level to drop significantly in the body. So, now I have come off the meds, I am wondering whether this sudden drying and aging of the skin that has aged me considerably, is a permanent or reversible side effect? My other question is: has anyone else suffered similar side effects as a result of taking finasteride, and if so, has the skin rejuvinated over time after stopping usage?

Not sure to feel :( or :angry: about the whole thing, but it sucks...

het mate

i've been on proscar for over three years now and have noticed NO side effects what so ever... never missed a dosage ;)

just the yearly shed, which everyone goes through, regardless of being on meds/hair loss sufferer...

Hey badhair, hope you are well mate B) The feel factor is still there on all accounts and the tool has been in use now for some time with great success - There are several docs already trying the tool out and have been giving it very positive reviews back to Dr Feller. Hopefully they will comment online too to share their feedback on the tool - It will be great to hear from other experienced FUE docs especially B)

This is very encouraging news to hear of this new FUE tool being developed... B) thanks Dr Feller!

het mate

i've been on proscar for over three years now and have noticed NO side effects what so ever... never missed a dosage ;)

just the yearly shed, which everyone goes through, regardless of being on meds/hair loss sufferer...

I have been on FIN since about April 2008 (1 year) and havent seen myself turn into a cabbage just yet also the only major shed I had was at the start for a few months... and since then no major sheds.. hardy any.. the only sheds is when i cut my own hair! :ph34r:

Again to stay on this topic.... its great to have Dr's (Dr feller) knowing they wont be making a huge bundle of cash from developing new tools, but mainly to help further improve our results and his fellow Dr's comfort to speed up the process and move the whole field of the HT world ahead to the next level! Many thanks again from someone that cant thank the worlds best clinics for making our lives not only a happier place.... but making us want to be around at all! ;) truly grateful for this.