gm68

How Long To Give Propecia/proscar

Gav, when did you start taking the Proscar from Dr Ashcroft, as opposed to the stuff you bought off the net? I don't have a lot of faith in internet pharmacies, a World Health Organisation report a while back estimated that 50% of the drugs bought online without prescription are fake!

If you started shedding heavily while taking meds you bought online, and the loss appears permanent, well that could be a sign that the meds were fake and you were simply experiencing a period of accelerated "normal" loss. Acording to an article in the BMJ journal even without treatment the progression of male pattern baldness can fluctuate considerably, with periods of accelerated loss lasting 3­-6 months followed by quiescent periods lasting 6-­18 months.

I started the Dr Ashcroft proscar about 2 months in, 1.25mg per day. So I have now been on it for 7 months. Before that I bought generic fin (the Cipla and Dr Reddys variants) from inhouse and united, and alternated between them day by day. I think the main concern about fake drugs was the genuine propecia?

I have to say though that the scale and rate of shedding was something I had never experienced before :angry:

Finasteride starts reducing DHT immediately, but because of the length of the hair cycle its effect on the number or thickness of hairs isn't usually felt for months - except in those cases, such as yours and Bobilero's, where a phase of 'shedding' is perceived. If this loss turns out to be permanent, it's possible that it was just related to a "lagging effect" from the accelerating hair cycle prior to treatment. Make sense?

It's interesting that you guys have a very different experience of finasteride than me. Personally I never experienced any 'shedding' from finasteride, in fact quite the reverse! Before starting the treatment I noticed that I was losing loads & loads of hair in the shower, on my pillow etc; within 2 months of swallowing my first Propecia tablet, that daily loss seemed to reduce quite considerably. That's how I could tell the stuff was working. We have to remember that there is a wide variation in response to finasteride, which appears to have a genetic component. One company has now introduced a test to predict whether you'll have a good, moderate or poor response to the drug -

I've been wondering if my very gradual loss could indicate a slow hair cycle? In which case there may be hope yet!! Or does everyone's hair cycle have the same/similar duration?

Could this also be an indication of a slow recovery after any future HT? :unsure:

I think the main concern about fake drugs was the genuine propecia?

Nope, any drug bought online without prescription is very likely to be a fake, regardless of the brand. I think it's quite possible that you've only been taking finasteride for 7 months, so you'll need another 5 to judge its effectiveness.

If after 12 months you can look back upon the point you started Dr Ashcroft's Proscar and see no change, then consider it a success.

I've been wondering if my very gradual loss could indicate a slow hair cycle? In which case there may be hope yet!! Or does everyone's hair cycle have the same/similar duration?

Could this also be an indication of a slow recovery after any future HT? :unsure:

Ordinarily male pattern hair loss means a progressive shortening of the anagen (growth) phase of the hair cycle, and a reduction in the ratio of anagen (growing) hairs to telogen (dormant, about to shed) hairs.

The progress of balding is extremely variable - some people can go completely bald in 5 years and others take 25 years.

Nope, any drug bought online without prescription is very likely to be a fake, regardless of the brand. I think it's quite possible that you've only been taking finasteride for 7 months, so you'll need another 5 to judge its effectiveness.

If after 12 months you can look back upon the point you started Dr Ashcroft's Proscar and see no change, then consider it a success.

I'm not so sure. Inhouse & United seemed to have a good reputation, I checked before ordering. But I did alternate just in case one or other order contained fake drugs. And then there is the shedding, whose severity, timing and duration would tend to indicate that something was having an effect.

But since I'm planning to give it another 3-4 months, I may as well make it 5 ;)

I've already had more shedding since starting the Dr Ashcroft proscar, although only for the first 1-2 months after that.

Ordinarily male pattern hair loss means a progressive shortening of the anagen (growth) phase of the hair cycle, and a reduction in the ratio of anagen (growing) hairs to telogen (dormant, about to shed) hairs.

The progress of balding is extremely variable - some people can go completely bald in 5 years and others take 25 years.

I think I was on course to take 25 years, or longer, until last year's shed kicked in anyway :rolleyes:

Thanks

Gav.

I'm not so sure. Inhouse & United seemed to have a good reputation, I checked before ordering.

Some sites have a better reputation than others on hairloss forums, but the bottom line is that Inhouse, United and all the rest are selling you "grey market" products of uncertain origin from a warehouse somewhere in the Third World. They aren't subject to any regulation or accountability; they don't even list a physical address!

You simply have no idea what's gone into the pills, and short of having them analysed, there's no way to be certain. Watchdogs in the developed world, such as the UK Medicines and Healthcare products Regulatory Agency (MHRA) and the US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) advise patients not to buy medicines from the Internet. My girlfriend, who is a pharmacist, wouldn't touch these sites with a bargepole.

And then there is the shedding, whose severity, timing and duration would tend to indicate that something was having an effect.

Well if it was treatment-induced, then the hair would have (or will eventually) return at its previous level of thickness and density. If it doesn't return, you would have 'lost' that hair anyway.

Either way, the amount of hair shed each day/week/month is a poor indicator of hair loss. Some people have a high rate of shedding but also a high rate of hair growth - they don't go bald. What matters is what's left on the scalp. See how you stand in a few months time.

Split up with the missus some months so have been doing the dating game since. None of the girls iv seen have twigged i use aload of nanogen every day. How the hell am i going to approach a subject like that when things get serious :unsure: :(

Im sure loads of folks on the forum have the same issue here! One thing I would say (which my Dad said to me, when I was adamant I wanted a HT), is that women (or the ones worth knowing) don't actually care. In fact, I think most blokes dont care about anyones hair other than their own!

And if you think its tricky to explain nanogen - try explaining a Hair Transplant to your new woman! I waited until I was very sure about my future wife before I told her about that particular "elephant in the room"

I started taking generic fin from dr ashcroft at the start of the year, just after having a HT in the front 1/3. For the first couple of months I noticed a huge amount of shedding in the crown area which at 1 point even had me thinking about another HT but with time (6 months now) the hair is thickening back up again to what it was before. Suppose what I am saying is that some people do shed quite badly on meds but if it is down to the meds then you just have to hold your nerve and be patient. One of the best cases I have seen and probably the one that convinced me to start taking fin was a guy on here called Richie (hope he doesn't mind me using him as an example) He has had amazing results from meds and if you read his stuff he says you gotta give it a year

Seems like loads of us in the same situ with how to explain things to women. IE nanogen, what are those pills, and in my case at least, I met someone 2 months post HT and had to explain a fresh donor scar!!! :o I am just 32 and these are girls are in thier 20s that were talking about here but I have found being upfront about it from the start the best way to be. Women don't seem to care (anyone notice how common boob jobs are nowadays) :D and the most interest I have had is "ooh got any pics". I think as far as this goes we are all our own worst critics!!!

I started taking generic fin from dr ashcroft at the start of the year, just after having a HT in the front 1/3. For the first couple of months I noticed a huge amount of shedding in the crown area which at 1 point even had me thinking about another HT but with time (6 months now) the hair is thickening back up again to what it was before. Suppose what I am saying is that some people do shed quite badly on meds but if it is down to the meds then you just have to hold your nerve and be patient. One of the best cases I have seen and probably the one that convinced me to start taking fin was a guy on here called Richie (hope he doesn't mind me using him as an example) He has had amazing results from meds and if you read his stuff he says you gotta give it a year

Seems like loads of us in the same situ with how to explain things to women. IE nanogen, what are those pills, and in my case at least, I met someone 2 months post HT and had to explain a fresh donor scar!!! :o I am just 32 and these are girls are in thier 20s that were talking about here but I have found being upfront about it from the start the best way to be. Women don't seem to care (anyone notice how common boob jobs are nowadays) :D and the most interest I have had is "ooh got any pics". I think as far as this goes we are all our own worst critics!!!

11 month update (9 months on Dr Ashcroft proscar): Little change. If anything, a slight worsening of my situ (thinning). Can't be sure though. I can feel some little short hairs in the crown area but those have been there for months and don't seem to be getting any longer! Still hanging in there with the help of nanogen.

Know what you mean about being our own worst critics. Virtually no one ever looks at my hair. It's me who frets about it.

11 month update (9 months on Dr Ashcroft proscar): Little change. If anything, a slight worsening of my situ (thinning). Can't be sure though. I can feel some little short hairs in the crown area but those have been there for months and don't seem to be getting any longer! Still hanging in there with the help of nanogen.

Know what you mean about being our own worst critics. Virtually no one ever looks at my hair. It's me who frets about it.

Well incredibly it's been 12 months since I started fin (10 months on Dr Ashcroft proscar). I've taken pics at 3 month intervals and looking back, I see little or no change other than the shedding which affected me in the first 3 months or so. So maybe the fin is maintaining the hair that I now have...? Still unhappy about the shedding though.....

Anyway I know I need to give it the full 12 months on the Dr Ashcroft proscar which will be 2 months from now.

Maintaining what you have is the main role of Proscar/Propecia.

Yea i know but i had this strange idea that it may have maintained what i had at the time i started taking it, not inducing a severe shed (& i have yet to see any solid evidence of the shed hairs returning) & then maintaining what's left after that :unsure:

Yea i know but i had this strange idea that it may have maintained what i had at the time i started taking it, not inducing a severe shed (& i have yet to see any solid evidence of the shed hairs returning) & then maintaining what's left after that :unsure:

Ditto Exact same situation .. Over 2 and a half years on it. For sure it improved the overall condition of my hair and hopefully preventing any further loss but that initial shed in the frontal third never recovered which is unfortunate.