Sign in to follow this  
AGT

Advice Needed

Hi

Advice needed.

New here, I have just turned 26 and really starting to notice my hair is thinning.

What do you think I should start taking.

I have a limited budget so cannot just start taking everything.

Regards

AGT

The big 3 to beat DHT, THE CAUSE OF HAIRLOSS!

- Propecia ( Finesteride ), Minoxodil and Nizoral

Here is the thing you need to make sure you understand when it comes to MPB:

The main known factor that causes hairloss is DHT. To form DHT your body's 5a-reductase enzyme converts free roaming testosterone DHT inside the hair cell follicle. The DHT then binds to the hair cell receptor and causes it to atrophy or shrink. Eventually your hair follicle stops producing hair and you lose that follicle.

There are two types of the 5ar enzyme; Type I and Type II. Type II 5ar seems to be the main culprit in MPB as the type II enzyme is present in the hair follicles. Finasteride is a specific inhibitor of Type II 5ar inhibitor that reduces DHT produced by the type II 5ar by 85%-90% and reduces the overall DHT blood serum levels by 65%.

As you can see Finasteride (PROPECIA ) is extremely useful as a treatment for MPB as it directly attacks the problem. Nizoral shampoo is thought to help "dull" the androgen receptors in the scalp which the DHT binds to. Together they provide a synergetic effect.

Minoxidil is a hair stimulant. It is the only FDA proven hair stimulant on the market. However stimulating hair and protecting hair from further damage are two separate actions

Minoxidil will artificially augment your hair while you use the compound but it does NOT have any know effect on 5ar or the androgen receptors in the scalp.

The best way to attack MPB is to:

1. Stop further damage to your hair via DHT. You can accomplish this best by using Finasteride to inhibit the 5ar enzyme and Nizoral to "dull" the androgen receptors.

2. **If** further thickening/regrowth is needed after the hair damaging DHT androgen is reduced then minoxidil can be used to further augment your existing hairs and perhaps even stimulant some dormant hair follicles to resume growing.

Regards

Specs

Hey there, i was wondering if anyone could help me at all. i am 17, probably a lot younger than all of you, and i have been losing my hair since i was 16, i think its inherited frm my father who simply has a receeded hairline but its thinning on the top towards the front (not in the bald patch area) and i wondered if anyone could help. people have commented on the thinness of my hair, probably because it is rare for my age. i have looked at rogaine, obviously i am not 18 yet but it seems to be just for bald patch areas on top. any ideas anybody? :(

Hello joe!

Just reading your thread, and couldnt help comparing your story to my own a little, first off, try not to worry to much as there is treatment out there that can help your condition and the earlier you start the treatment the better!

I too noticed my hairloss at 16, it reached chronic proportions by age 22 which left me extremely depressed! By this time i had discovered a trichologist who gave me good advice and informed me that there was treatment available which i agreed to try, at this point i would of tried anything!

All my family were sceptical after i told them about the possible side affects but i was desperate! Luckily it was the right decision as it halted my hairloss an i experienced regrowth with minimal side effects. This brought back my confidence and generally a better quality of life. I am now approaching my 30th birthday in june with hair :( which take it from me without the treatment i would of been bald as a coot. guaranteed!

You will probably have seen mentioned the "BIG THREE" on this forum which is probably the best way to go at ur age, as it will buy you time. This is the treatment i use, Although i would advise that u see a credible trichologist/doctor before you start any treatment as everyone is different!

There are also costs to be considered before any course of treatment, because once u start u have got to continue the treatment for optimum results. I personally think its worth it for the better quality of life.

Just thought i would share my experience and give you a little hope!

Best of luck kid!

Regards

Tom

Thanks a lot Tom, whats this big three? i cant seem to find it in the search engine. im glad to hear you managed to minimise your problem! and i hope you have a great 30th. reply if you, or anyone see's this with information regarding big three? or is it simply referring to the main 3 brands of hair product out there? Joe

JO, -The big 3 to beat DHT, THE CAUSE OF HAIRLOSS!

- Propecia ( Finesteride ), Minoxodil and Nizoral

Here is the thing you need to make sure you understand when it comes to MPB:

The main known factor that causes hairloss is DHT. To form DHT your body's 5a-reductase enzyme converts free roaming testosterone DHT inside the hair cell follicle. The DHT then binds to the hair cell receptor and causes it to atrophy or shrink. Eventually your hair follicle stops producing hair and you lose that follicle.

There are two types of the 5ar enzyme; Type I and Type II. Type II 5ar seems to be the main culprit in MPB as the type II enzyme is present in the hair follicles. Finasteride is a specific inhibitor of Type II 5ar inhibitor that reduces DHT produced by the type II 5ar by 85%-90% and reduces the overall DHT blood serum levels by 65%.

As you can see Finasteride (PROPECIA ) is extremely useful as a treatment for MPB as it directly attacks the problem. Nizoral shampoo is thought to help "dull" the androgen receptors in the scalp which the DHT binds to. Together they provide a synergetic effect.

Minoxidil is a hair stimulant. It is the only FDA proven hair stimulant on the market. However stimulating hair and protecting hair from further damage are two separate actions

Minoxidil will artificially augment your hair while you use the compound but it does NOT have any know effect on 5ar or the androgen receptors in the scalp.

The best way to attack MPB is to:

1. Stop further damage to your hair via DHT. You can accomplish this best by using Finasteride to inhibit the 5ar enzyme and Nizoral to "dull" the androgen receptors.

2. **If** further thickening/regrowth is needed after the hair damaging DHT androgen is reduced then minoxidil can be used to further augment your existing hairs and perhaps even stimulant some dormant hair follicles to resume growing.

Regards

Specs

Hello, I'm in about the same situation as Joe. People don't really notice my hairloss unless i take off a hat, or it gets wet or something but it is progressibly getting worse. I would like to try the "big 3" bt how much would that cost a month to support, and where would you get them?

mikey 4 - You can get nizoral 2% from boots. You can also get minox there but it's very expensive - check out -http://minoxidil-direct.co.uk/

you will need to get a perscription from your GP for propecia - Propecia is expensive so you need to get on proscar - proscar is the same drug as propecia (finesteride) it comes in 5mg whereas propecia is 1mg - so just cut it down into 5ths.

http://www.proscar.com/proscar_finasteride...sumer/index.jsp

Hey again guys. thanks for all your help. but i am still very stuck, i have looked into rogaine and minixodil and after finding out its for balding from the crown of your head, and not for a receeding hairline like i suffer from i have been searching for other products. http://www.boots.com/shop/product_details....oductid=1008221 tell me what you think of this, and if anyone has used it for themselves id much appreciate some input.

Joe

minox doesn't just work in the crown it can work in the front as well.

re boots product - waste of money in my opinion

hmmmm, everywhere ive looked says its quite useless on anywhere but the crown but i think i will give it a try. my hair is certainly thinning all over the frotn back half way and the front, temple area :( why do you think that boots product is a waste of money? please reply, joe

joe - in all my research and all the dr's i've met they all say that the only way to stop your hair loss is with the big three! minox being part of that combo - re boots product - i personally tried it with the hope that it would do something for me like yourself but was disappointed with the outcome.

if you really want to give it a go then go for it i'm just relaying my experience with it.

Hi Joe and Welcome

Minoxidil trials were originally done on the crown that is why they claim it works best on the crown. It was found that it did indeed work elsewhere but they had not done trials on the temples so could not make claims.

Here is a study on minoxidil that shows it works elsewhere -http://www.stophairlossnow.co.uk/Rogaine_News.htm

As for the Boots stuff, you would be far better off using Minoxidil.

Bill

Thanks everyone for the great advice.

Have been away so unable to post.

Ordered Propecia from the main site, got it next day. Great service.

Have been on it almost a month.

No side effects at all.

Shedding appears to have slowed down.

Bit early but seems promising.

Will keep you posted.

AGT

Thanks everyone for the great advice.

Have been away so unable to post.

Ordered Propecia from the main site, got it next day. Great service.

Have been on it almost a month.

No side effects at all.

Shedding appears to have slowed down.

Bit early but seems promising.

Will keep you posted.

AGT

That's great AGT, you might have just convinced me to buy Propecia.. If I don't try I'll never know like they say. I'm worried about side effects specially since I'm still 22 but what the hell.. it seems to be the best product and the only one that could give me hope. Glad it worked for you :(

By the way, are you supposed to take Propecia longer than 3 month? or do you stop after that? and where did you buy it from? I'm looking at the main page of this site but I see nothing.

if you intend to start taking propecia / proscar you have to be aware that you have to keep taking the drug indefinately inorder to maintain hair and keep the benefits from the drug as it prevents dht attacking your hair folicles - you stop taking it - the dht will attack!

Hi Joe and Welcome

Minoxidil trials were originally done on the crown that is why they claim it works best on the crown. It was found that it did indeed work elsewhere but they had not done trials on the temples so could not make claims.

Here is a study on minoxidil that shows it works elsewhere -http://www.stophairlossnow.co.uk/Rogaine_News.htm

As for the Boots stuff, you would be far better off using Minoxidil.

Bill

I was just reading that article, has it worked on more people or was this one of those special cases? From that picture it looks like it worked at the front, middle and back.. damn, that puts my hopes up but maybe I shouldn't.