Sign in to follow this  
hudsonhawke

Patches Of Hairloss, Would Appreciate Advice [photo]

Hi guys,

I'm 30 years old and have very dry, limp hair that is very difficult to style. It is also very thin at the side of my head and practicaly un-stylable there. Though I dont have any scalp irritations or signs of hairloss elswhere. My hairline is receded, but has been like that for many years without much change.

It is only the past month or so that I have noticed pretty bad patches of hair thining/loss in the temple areas, more so on the right side (see photo). Again, this has pretty much happened within a month or so, so it's got me pretty worried.

I'm a total noob on treatments, but I have been reading up here on the big three. Propecia seems to be the main winner for maintaining hair, but could someone direct me to the side effects? and would I need a perscription? Also somthing that would treat the dry limpness would be a major bonus (Minoxodil?)

I've read about the rogaine foam and that sounds good, but it says not to be used on receding hairlines?

Right now I'm just looking at preventing more hair loss around this area and to also improve the quality of my hair, just a bit confused as reading up here it seems most treatments are mainly for thining hair around the crown. There are alot of posts from guys with receding hairlines, but none that really tie up and I think a HT isn't really an option for me right now. Are there any non HT progression photos on receding hairline treatment?

I know you guys have probably answered these questions a hundred times before, but any advice you can offer would be very much appreciated B)

many thanks.

Hudson

http://i273.photobucket.com/albums/jj220/d...79/hairline.jpg

You seem to have done your research pretty well already... hope this helps fill in the gaps.

There are only two clinically-proven treatments for hair loss:

* Propecia is a prescription-only pill, for use by men only, produced by Merck & Co. You take it once per day, every day. The active ingredient is a 1mg dose of finasteride, which reduces the conversion of testosterone to DHT. DHT causes a shortening of the hair growth cycle and a progressive thinning of the hair, leading to male pattern hair baldness. Propecia lowers the levels of DHT in the scalp, generating increased hair growth and preventing further hair loss. The drug was tested mainly at the crown and top of the head. There is no data on its effectiveness at the temples, but in principle it should work for all scalp hair.Side effects - about 2% of men in the clinical trials experienced reduced libido, a tiny number experienced breast swelling and tenderness. There are scare stories about Propecia on the net - take them with a pinch of salt.

* Minoxidil is a topically-applied liquid or foam; the original brand was Regaine (Rogaine in the US) but it's now marketed by a number of different manufacturers. The mechanism by which minoxidil stimulates hair growth is not fully understood, but it is known to stimulate hair growth and increase hair thickness, although only about 1/3 of men experience any cosmetically-significant change. The original Rogaine trials were only focused on the crown, hence the limited claims made for the product. However, it has been shown to generate hair growth at the front of the head.

Side effects - itching, dry skin/scalp flaking, and increased unwanted non-scalp hair growth (mainly a problem for women users). Minoxidil also usually causes a short period of increased hair shedding when you start using it.

More resources:

http://www.propecia.com/finasteride/propec...sumer/index.jsp

http://www.regaine.co.uk/home.asp

http://emc.medicines.org.uk/

Dry hair can be tackled by using a moisturising shampoo and a good conditioner - the Body Shop's honey moisturising shampoo is a personal favourite, but Pantene or Dove are cheaper and will do the same job. The 'limpness' may simply be a sign of declining density; you could try a thickening shampoo - although these typically dry your hair out - or a volumising spray.

hey Pondle!

many thanks for clearing those up :D my next step is to go to my gp and get a perscription for the propecia. I guess the growing man boobs thing should be taken with a pinch of salt ;)

with minoxidil you mention it sheds some hairs when first using it. is there a chance the hair does not grow back?

thanks for the links, I will check them out thoroughly :)

I think the limpness in my hair could just be due to thining, which is where I figured the minoxidil could help out with. I've tried many shampoos and conditioners, but nothing has really been affective so far.

many thanks for clearing those up :D my next step is to go to my gp and get a perscription for the propecia. I guess the growing man boobs thing should be taken with a pinch of salt ;)

you can also get generic Finasteride which is exactly the same thing as Propecia but you have to cut each pill into quarters or fifths. The advantage is that it's MUCH cheaper than buying Propecia. A lot of people on this site get it from Dr. Ashcroft, so it's worth considering that, and he's trustworthy (a lot of internet pharmacies aren't) http://www.hairhelp.myzen.co.uk/?q=node/7

Luckily for you you've still got quite a lot of hair - it's much easier to prevent further hairloss than regrow hair, so there's a good chance Finasteride will work for you.

with minoxidil you mention it sheds some hairs when first using it. is there a chance the hair does not grow back?

some people have had bad experiences with Minoxidil, others good. Personally I think it's a riskier option than Finasteride but it's your decision to make.

hey joe!

cheers dude, I will investigate the link. I've read about this guy here before, so its good he's a trusted resource :)

Though with propecia I'm starting to read about possible loss of labido. If this is the case then can this be permanent or would labido be restored when you stop taking propecia? also if you stop taking propecia is there a danger of losing hair that was there before taking it?

Minoxidil does sound like a wining combination with the propecia, but as you said it can be risky, especially if there is a possibility of it causing more hair loss :o

I saw on youtube there is something you apply before applying the minoxidil. kinda helps prevent the irritation or something like that.

Though with propecia I'm starting to read about possible loss of labido. If this is the case then can this be permanent or would labido be restored when you stop taking propecia? also if you stop taking propecia is there a danger of losing hair that was there before taking it?

Most men find that any libido effects go away after your body has adjusted to the drug. Few people get sides effects but it can happen so it's something to think about. as far as I know there's no conclusive evidence about permanent sides. Make sure you tell your own doctor if your're going to start taking it just to be on the safe side.

you have to take it indefinetely I'm afraid. If you stop then hairloss will probably start again. Also remember that it's mostly for preventing any further hairloss - consider that a success and don't expect it to regrow any hair at the temples.

Actually reading up a bit more I realise that I dont experience any shedding of hairs at the moment. The only hair that occasionally comes out is broken hairs and none with bulbs. so would the propecia cause unnessesary shedding in areas that were never likely to shed in the first place?

though minoxidil also causes shedding, so I guess it's something you deal with when using these.

thanks joe,

so I guess the only other solution for thickening the hair and improving the quality is the minoxidil. maybe worth a shot. do you know where is the best place to get this from?

Personally, from those photos, I would be in two minds about starting Minoxidil especially if you don't shed many hairs at the moment. Other people might have different opinions though. I've never used it myself so I'm not sure where the best place to get it is, other people here should be able to advise you on that.

Actually reading up a bit more I realise that I dont experience any shedding of hairs at the moment. The only hair that occasionally comes out is broken hairs and none with bulbs. so would the propecia cause unnessesary shedding in areas that were never likely to shed in the first place?

though minoxidil also causes shedding, so I guess it's something you deal with when using these.

Propecia is a preventative drug and works best in the first stages of hairloss. It's not supposed to cause any shedding.

I was reading a post of one of the guys ordeals with minoxidil which has pretty much put me off it at this stage. I think it's best to go with the propecia alone and see how that goes.

I did pull a hair out today and figured it was another broken one, but inspecting closely notced it had a tiny white bulb at the end :o so it's pretty much got me fired up.

Also do you know what the recomended vitamin intake should be specificaly for hair? at the moment I'm just going with basic a-z vitamins with an omega 3 oil capsuals.

by the way joe, I read that you are also taking propecia alone for a month now, is that correct? if so are you posting any kind of progress thread or something? would like to keep tabs on that :)

I did pull a hair out today and figured it was another broken one, but inspecting closely notced it had a tiny white bulb at the end :o so it's pretty much got me fired up.

It's normal for everyone - men and women - to lose hair every day whether they're going bald or not. the white at the end isn't the hair root it's just a piece of skin.

Also do you know what the recomended vitamin intake should be specificaly for hair? at the moment I'm just going with basic a-z vitamins with an omega 3 oil capsuals.

The vitamins page has some good info but remember vitamins will only make your hair healthier (maybe) they don't stop MPB.

by the way joe, I read that you are also taking propecia alone for a month now, is that correct? if so are you posting any kind of progress thread or something? would like to keep tabs on that :)

I've been taking it since April. So far I haven't noticed hairloss getting any worse so I'm hoping it's stopped the balding process or at least slowed it down. I've been using nizorelle shampoo too.

Welcome HH,

Go steady with Nizoral - it can cause shedding too <_< Once a week max IMO.

ok guys, been reading up a bit more and have some questions.

There was a guy who says that he uses Nizoral every day at 2%. he got pretty good results out of it using bryle cream to counter the dryness. though what does he mean by 2%? how would you measure that?

I've also heard about a supplement called MSM. has anyone had any experience with that?

Also is proscar basically the same as fin?

hope you all had a great christmas :)

H

There was a guy who says that he uses Nizoral every day at 2%. he got pretty good results out of it using bryle cream to counter the dryness. though what does he mean by 2%? how would you measure that?

Nizorelle contains a 1% concentration of ketoconazole, which is the active ingredient. Nizoral contains a 2% concentration.

I've also heard about a supplement called MSM. has anyone had any experience with that?

There's no evidence to suggest that dietary supplements such as this have any benefit for hair loss sufferers.

Also is proscar basically the same as fin?

Proscar = 5mg dose of finasteride, marketed for the treatment of benign prostatic hyperplasia.

Propecia = 1mg dose of finasteride, marketed for the treatment of male pattern baldness.

Proscar's patent expired recently and since then various generic versions, some simply called "finasteride 5mg", have appeared.

hey guys. I'm thinking of getting some minoxidil when I get on the propecia. though I was wondering why it is risky to use? can it actually cause more hairloss? I'm thinking of applying it to my front, temples and side/ear area hairlines.

Also do I need to get a pescription from my gp to order the fin from dr ashcroft?

Also do I need to get a pescription from my gp to order the fin from dr ashcroft?

no, but it's a good idea to tell your GP that you're starting it.

no I haven't used Minoxidil. From what I gather, it can cause a shedding phase which is supposed to be temporary but some people have said it permanently shed their hair. On the other hand lots of people have said Minox works great for them.

I guess it's a gamble.

no I haven't used Minoxidil. From what I gather, it can cause a shedding phase which is supposed to be temporary but some people have said it permanently shed their hair. On the other hand lots of people have said Minox works great for them.

I guess it's a gamble.

the people who said it was 'permanent' didnt ride it out and gave up, hence it seemed 'permanent' to them

im in my early twenties, have been on propecia for 3.5 years and minox for 2 years, front and crown- my hair is thick as hell now, gone from a norwood 2.5 to a 1, im even starting to get a really good tight hairline!