Sign in to follow this  
munkychunks

Reproducing

Evening guys,

Have to say the big '3' are performing wonders! The hairdresser says "Every time you come in your hair gets thicker and thicker. Maybe it is just the hair cycle" ha-ha

Anyway, everybody notices the difference and my mum said to me:

"What are the long term effects of taking those tablets (i.e. Finastride)? Can you have kids still?"

I didn't know what to answer to be honest............Pondle? You're the fountain of knowledge on this forum. Can you provide me and the old girl answer......

Thanks

Chronic treatment with finasteride daily does not affect spermatogenesis or semen production in young men.Overstreet JW, Fuh VL, Gould J, Howards SS, Lieber MM, Hellstrom W, Shapiro S, Carroll P, Corfman RS, Petrou S, Lewis R, Toth P, Shown T, Roy J, Jarow JP, Bonilla J, Jacobsen CA, Wang DZ, Kaufman KD.

CONCLUSIONS: Treatment with 1 mg. finasteride daily for 48 weeks did not affect spermatogenesis or semen production in young men. The effects of 1 mg. finasteride daily on prostate volume and serum PSA in young men without benign prostatic hyperplasia were small and reversible on discontinuation of the drug.

However,

The effect of 5alpha-reductase inhibition with dutasteride and finasteride on semen parameters and serum hormones in healthy men.

Amory JK, Wang C, Swerdloff RS, Anawalt BD, Matsumoto AM, Bremner WJ, Walker SE, Haberer LJ, Clark RV.

CONCLUSIONS: This study demonstrates that the decrease in DHT induced by 5ARIs is associated with mild decreases in semen parameters that appear reversible after discontinuation.

And there are concerns that finasteride could have a negative effect on men who already have suboptimal fertility.

http://www.renalandurologynews.com/Propeci...article/104651/

Here's the official word from Merck -

http://www.baldingblog.com/2008/08/01/offi...-and-pregnancy/

I have taken Proscar for nearly 10 years. At our first attempt to conceive - we had twins! :blink:

I think it personally makes you extra fertile! :P