Sign in to follow this  
badhairdo

Shedding Badly On Meds !

Greetings all,

I've been on 1/4 proscar now for about a month (went on it quickly after noticing my hairline was begining to recede again after a long break!)

Anyway, in the 2nd week I noticed a lot of hair shedding, it was frightening, and now my hairline is so thin I can see a heck of a lot more of my scalp! I estimate about a fifth to a quarter of the hair seem to have fallen out (or it seems that way anyhow). i think this is more to do with the meds than natural hairloss, as I've never shed this badly so quickly.

The question I have is whether I should carry on or stop? I am not sure if shedding due to med is temporary or permanent, or whether this amount of loss is normal?? It's so drastic that I have had to cancel my ht in December (gutted), thanks to Dr Feller and Spex's honest advice and recommendation to sit it out for a while till it stabilises, which was reassuring that we are in good hands :rolleyes: .

Also, the exchange rate is murder, and Spex managed to get my deposit back, eventhough it was past the deadline (just), which I am forever grateful for. Credit where it's due boyo. Cancelling the flight only set me back £60 which is fantastic, considering these cheap flights are usually not refundable.

I am quite devestated at the prospect of losing so much hair so quickly, to the point that I am beginning to realise, unless the meds work, I don't think even ht will be the answer, as it could prove quite risky, at least for time being til things settle down (hopefully!).

All thoughts / advice / opinions / euthanasia would be most welcome :(

hey bad-do

firstly stop panicking , hts and meds are long term fixes and therefor give yourself atleast two years , yes two years .

check out my results from a ht and meds , on here

I shed loads at first so i just shaved it right down to an ungaurded cut , as my hair grew back it was alot thicker , by that i mean the hair shafts was were thicker and the condition of my hair was overall alot better .

I only had my ht in the crown , the rest of the improvement is down to the meds alone .

Give it time to work , just shave your hair for a new style for a while , easy .

stick with the meds , but give it time bud

richie

Hey BHD,

I also was pooping it a bit at the start of taking Fin/Prosc. I didnt notice much shedding for the 1st month and then it really starting shedding for the next few months...(from my crown) I could see loads of hair in my comb every day and it was everywhere... I would go to get in my car and it would be all over the seat... on the dashboard... even on the outside of the car on the glass! I would read the newspaper and hair would drop on the part I was reading...etc etc... its pretty scary! :blink: But I stuck with it... and after those 2-3 months its stabilised now... I have just a few hairs in the comb and not hairs scattered everywhere I go.

I have let my hair grow out a bit as that really helps to give better covereage, the crown is prob not a massive lot worse than it was before I started the meds but noticeable to me....but I'm sure it has stabilised and I am pleased I am taking it now. Just for the knowledge of knowing I am preventing it disapearing for good in the near future and thickening the hair shafts that are remaining.

I dont know if everyone else is the same..but I shed for 2-3 months... so hang in there mate I know how frightening it is when it starts dropping out.

But it is completely normal to shed... so dont panic as Richie said ;) and if you see his results on meds....it will totally put ur mind at ease.

I'm always surprised by posts about shedding caused by finasteride, because (unlike minoxidil) it's not one of the listed side effects and I never experienced it myself. In fact, after two months on finasteride, I noticed that I was losing many fewer hairs per day.

However, there are some people who report temporary shedding and you might even see it as a good sign - hairs are being kicked into the growth (anagen) phase, so dormant (telogen) hairs are falling out to make way for new growth beneath.

http://www.baldingblog.com/2008/11/06/my-d...cause-shedding/

http://www.regaine.co.uk/women/Understandi...?mn=0&sn=0&tn=1

Mate,

Don't worry! This is not the first or the last time you will experience shedding on meds. Once on meds, you will experience something known as synchronised shedding. Its been reported my many people on meds and I have experienced it every year for the last 10 years on meds. Each time the consequence of the shedding is less severe and you do get all of the hair back. I understand its all a bit un-nerving. My brother has just come out of his first month on minoxidil and fin and has experienced a massive shed. However, its beginning to slow down and I was able to support / talk him through it.

Generally, if you shed, its a good sign. Old, weaker hair are being shed and replaced by thicker stronger hair.

Thanks folks. It's a little reassuring that the initial shedding seems to have at least stopped / slowed. I think the hairline is still suffering, but not sure if that is med or natural causes.

Will keep you posted if anything interesting crops up boom boom :unsure:

Hey richie cracking results their mate. i havent really lost any at the crown but think its starting to thin been on fin for about 5 6 months now ob too early to say if working im sure iv lost a bit more at the front but been on minox so stopped that now if the fin stops the loss id be happy to go for a ht. Lifes so fcuking good at the minute my hairloss is the only thing that pulls me down i dont like going out anymore without my cap on or hair cut and styled to perfection even then its obvious im losing it. :(

Hey Guys,

Just thought I post an update on things as I have been on 1/5 proscar for 3 months now. TBH there has been no improvement, if anything, I've lost a little more since, perhaps from early shedding, or just perhaps I may be in the minority of people who dont get any benefits from the stuff. Here are 2 pics, from 2007 and today, just for comparison (wet look with direct lighting). A mate of mine has been on a natural drug which is supposed to inhibit DHT and he has been on it only for a month, and the result is already impressive (not cheap though). I will give proscar a chance until the course runs out next month and then jump onto this baby to see what happens.

Spex, would Feller recommend an HT if I don't get anywhere with these drugs (except for some more wrinckles cropping out of nowhere! Perhaps staring in the mirror too much :P )

post-10230-1232930378_thumb.jpg

post-10230-1232930416_thumb.jpg

Hey Guys,

Just thought I post an update on things as I have been on 1/5 proscar for 3 months now. TBH there has been no improvement, if anything, I've lost a little more since, perhaps from early shedding, or just perhaps I may be in the minority of people who dont get any benefits from the stuff. Here are 2 pics, from 2007 and today, just for comparison (wet look with direct lighting). A mate of mine has been on a natural drug which is supposed to inhibit DHT and he has been on it only for a month, and the result is already impressive (not cheap though). I will give proscar a chance until the course runs out next month and then jump onto this baby to see what happens.

Spex, would Feller recommend an HT if I don't get anywhere with these drugs (except for some more wrinckles cropping out of nowhere! Perhaps staring in the mirror too much :P )

what is the natural drug?

Hi mate - First of all 3 months is NOT a sufficient timescale to assess the success of Propecia - You have set the foundation and done the hard work - ANY benefits will hopefully now be seen from 4 months through to 12.

NO MEDICATION natural or prescribed can have results let alone dramatic in 1 month - its impossible as hair has a 3 -4 month growth cycle - Ride out the meds for several more months prior to making any further judgement on its success or not.

Can't remember. I have just texted my mate and will post when he replies.

Hi mate - First of all 3 months is NOT a sufficient timescale to assess the success of Propecia - You have set the foundation and done the hard work - ANY benefits will hopefully now be seen from 4 months through to 12.

NO MEDICATION natural or prescribed can have results let alone dramatic in 1 month - its impossible as hair has a 3 -4 month growth cycle - Ride out the meds for several more months prior to making any further judgement on its success or not.

You are right. Frankly it is very hard to tell as he did not take pics before he went on the med. But his barber was the first to notice. When he mentioned it to me, I kind of figured that his head had better coverage and he swears by it. But tbh it's hard to tell as he has short curley hair, so combing it would have the same effect. I've taken a photo of his hair and will take another in a couple of months. If it's really imrpoving so quickly, then the results should be obvious.

Spex, how long before you noticed improvement from meds? I have another month's supply so not sure if that's enough to draw any conclusions.

A mate of mine has been on a natural drug which is supposed to inhibit DHT and he has been on it only for a month, and the result is already impressive (not cheap though).

It's a scam - there are no 'natural drugs' on the market proven to inhibit DHT. If such things did exist, the FDA and MHRA would demand that they secure marketing authorisation through the normal process of clinical trials.

There's one study in mice showing that Saw Palmetto (a common ingredient in 'herbal hair loss treatments') can inhibit DHT, but it was at daily doses equivalent to something like 25,000mg (25 grams) in a human - you'd have to take an entire bottle of Saw Palmetto capsules every day, and even then you wouldn't be guaranteed to see the same effect because mouse physiology is different to human.

As Spex says, if you can see visible changes in your mate's hair after just a month, he's clearly using Toppik or something similar. The hair cycle is simply too slow for visible changes to manifest in this timescale.

Spex, how long before you noticed improvement from meds? I have another month's supply so not sure if that's enough to draw any conclusions.

You need to be on it 6+ more months to draw any conclusions - stopping it now (or in one more month) would render the entire attempt usless IMHO.

Nourkrin MAN. Although checking the active ingredients on the website doeesn't suggest anything extraordinary: Shark cartilage and shellfish which contains Glucosamine (something you can buy for a lot cheaper from Boots). Perhaps its the combination of ingredients? Anyway, I am not really into unproven drugs, especially were hair is involved. But if my mate's hair improves, then I might give it a go (he reckons it's working all over and not just crown!!).

Spex, have you changed the photos in your webste? I can't find the before/after shots involving fin. Also, is it me or your hair changed colour after HT :P

Spex, have you changed the photos in your webste? I can't find the before/after shots involving fin. Also, is it me or your hair changed colour after HT

My hair is brown but in sun goes lighter - Taken many pics at different lengths and in different seasons so that will help explain :)

Crown pics link - Crown links

Hi mate, I have been on generic fin since just after christmas and have shed badly myself but you just have to try not to worry, look at guys like richie and the results you can achieve.

Thanks for posting guys. Glad to hear my new hairs wont be growing out a different colour Spex :D Is it worthwhile putting me on the waiting list for an op in six months, since I would've been on the meds for 10 months already?

Does anyone know if the amount of donor area that can be harvested is related to the thickness of the skin? I have thick skin and don't feel much scalp movement when I pinch it. Will that limit the number of FUs that can be harvested?It seems the most I can pinch is about 1/2", which can't amount to great deal of hairs :( especially since I will be restoring the hairline and will need a great deal more later to improve coverage as the shedding has become progressively more diffusive in the recent years.

It seems the most I can pinch is about 1/2", which can't amount to great deal of hairs

½" !? :o I could hardly nip my scalp and was still able to get 2 * 1cm strips. If you can pinch ½" there shouldn't be any problems.

Is it worthwhile putting me on the waiting list for an op in six months, since I would've been on the meds for 10 months already?

Sorry fro delay mate been away.

10-12 months on meds is sufficient time to know whether or not its doing the job or not so if you were to have a sesison in 6 months you would know for sure where you were at at that point. Call me when you get chance and we can look into the dairy - the summer is very busy already with guys booked in utilising school holiday time - lot of teachers :P