Sign in to follow this  
Seanyboy01

I Quit Proscar After Around 5 Days.....

The sides Im getting arent funny at all. Around my 4th day I was feeling a bit lethargic, my ercetions felt a bit weird.....I was going to give it a run of a month or two but decided to quit it.

After I quit on the 5th day or so I have had no morning erections, and when I do try my best to get an erection at all it is quite numb around the tip. My penis is shrivilled when placid.I have no sexual desire at all. I know the drug had been fine for a lot of you, but does anyone know what I should expect....Im getting quite worried.

I have to say I noticed similar things when I first started - no morning erections, and was a bit worried, but I wasn't sure if it was just psychosematic.

I continued with finasteride and I don't seem to have any problems 'getting it up' now.

speak to Dr. Ashcroft if you're worried

I have to say I noticed similar things when I first started - no morning erections, and was a bit worried, but I wasn't sure if it was just psychosematic.

I continued with finasteride and I don't seem to have any problems 'getting it up' now.

speak to Dr. Ashcroft if you're worried

Its definitely not psychological. Im 26 years old, and very in touch with my mind and my body. I know EXACTLY how my penis was before I started the drug. I called DR Ashcroft and he said the sides should stop once quitting the drug, though he didnt give me a time frame. I dont want to keep calling and torturing the man....afterall hes not my GP, just someone who I could easily get proscar from.

Again, Im not having a dig at anyone here who uses the drug, just looking a bit of advice from anyone who might know about what Im going through. I went to the other site propecia help but I wanted to hear from a few here because Ive been following the posts from the members here for quite a while now.

Propecia Help website is notoriously unreliable I think. ask Pondle about them. you shoudln't take the claims there too seriously

I think the sides should clear up if you quit or continue, according to what I've read about Finasteride.

As I said, my libido side effects cleared up after a couple of months of continuing, and now I have no problems, which I think is typical of Finasteride.

it works differently for different people so its your decision in the end.

i had floppy cocky for a week or two,i had read and been told it maybe possible to have these sides, and if i did get them just ride it out and the body will adjust.set myself a time limit of 5 weeks and if things did not return to normal would dump the stuff.all returned to normal and been on the stuff for 4 years,made the switch to dut/avo in Oct 2006 and being a stronger drug expected and got the same sides, but again all good.length and strength no problem ;) .

i had floppy cocky for a week or two,i had read and been told it maybe possible to have these sides, and if i did get them just ride it out and the body will adjust.set myself a time limit of 5 weeks and if things did not return to normal would dump the stuff.all returned to normal and been on the stuff for 4 years,made the switch to dut/avo in Oct 2006 and being a stronger drug expected and got the same sides, but again all good.length and strength no problem ;) .

did you switch to dutasteride because the finasteride wasn't working?

Hi Seanyboy, sorry to hear about your bad experience of finasteride. How long was it since you quit? The Proscar prescribing information states that "in healthy male volunteers treated... for 14 days, discontinuation of therapy resulted in a return of DHT levels to pretreatment levels in approximately 2 weeks." The Propecia info sheet says "resolution [of adverse reactions] occurred in men who discontinued therapy with PROPECIA due to these side effects and in most of those who continued therapy." Now there are some guys out on the internet who claim that finasteride can cause "permanent" sexual side effects, but there's nothing in the medical literature to back this up.

I don't want to sound patronising or unhelpful, but I think one of the most important things is to try not too worry about finasteride too much. As it says in this article, the 'nocebo effect' (a kind of reverse placebo effect, where people literally worry themselves sick) "can worsen symptoms, exacerbate side-effects and can render drugs less effective. In other words, expectation of sickness begets sickness." As you'll see if you read down the article, the nocebo effect is a particular problem with finasteride; "those who had been given... extra information [about finasteride side effects] were more than twice as likely to have problems".

If you still have concerns a couple of weeks after quitting, then you should really see your doctor. Ultimately, guys on internet forums (like me!) can't give you any expert medical advice. Here's a link to the NHS Direct pages on erectile dysfunction.

Hi Seanyboy, sorry to hear about your bad experience of finasteride. How long was it since you quit? The Proscar prescribing information states that "in healthy male volunteers treated... for 14 days, discontinuation of therapy resulted in a return of DHT levels to pretreatment levels in approximately 2 weeks." The Propecia info sheet says "resolution [of adverse reactions] occurred in men who discontinued therapy with PROPECIA due to these side effects and in most of those who continued therapy." Now there are some guys out on the internet who claim that finasteride can cause "permanent" sexual side effects, but there's nothing in the medical literature to back this up.

I don't want to sound patronising or unhelpful, but I think one of the most important things is to try not too worry about finasteride too much. As it says in this article, the 'nocebo effect' (a kind of reverse placebo effect, where people literally worry themselves sick) "can worsen symptoms, exacerbate side-effects and can render drugs less effective. In other words, expectation of sickness begets sickness." As you'll see if you read down the article, the nocebo effect is a particular problem with finasteride; "those who had been given... extra information [about finasteride side effects] were more than twice as likely to have problems".

If you still have concerns a couple of weeks after quitting, then you should really see your doctor. Ultimately, guys on internet forums (like me!) can't give you any expert medical advice. Here's a link to the NHS Direct pages on erectile dysfunction.

Thanks pondle, and others. As I said before....im just a wee bit frightened and although Its not expert medical advice, you seem to have done a lot of homework on the subject. I appreciate being able to come here for any advice. Cheers.

BTW its was last tuesday I quit the drug and Id been on it roughly 5 or 6 days I think.

Joe.

I had no problems at all with fin/pro,i had made good gains with it and only wished i had got on the stuff 2 years earlier,the reason i switched was on advice from Spex after a meet up in Sept 06 i had with him,he was saying that all the top Drs were seeing some fantastic results with it in comparison to fin/pro.

i thought i could only but gain from it and if nothing came of it the worst i had to do was switch back.

Spex asked the only thing that i give it at least 6 months to see for results,very happy to say the gains have been fantastic,near filled in all my crown when i was looking at 2000+ via a H/T to fill it,and have had some great gains in the temples and the hair line.

Joe.

I had no problems at all with fin/pro,i had made good gains with it and only wished i had got on the stuff 2 years earlier,the reason i switched was on advice from Spex after a meet up in Sept 06 i had with him,he was saying that all the top Drs were seeing some fantastic results with it in comparison to fin/pro.

i thought i could only but gain from it and if nothing came of it the worst i had to do was switch back.

Spex asked the only thing that i give it at least 6 months to see for results,very happy to say the gains have been fantastic,near filled in all my crown when i was looking at 2000+ via a H/T to fill it,and have had some great gains in the temples and the hair line.

wow, great to hear you've had impressive results! Makes me feel more hopeful now. Have you ever used Minoxidil or has it only been Fin and Dut?

how does Dut compare price-wise with Fin?

Joe i have/did use min/reg :angry: ,my first signs of hairloss was to the temples and you could just start to see them thin behind the hairline,this was in late 99,so i used reg/min,i was aged 29.

I didnt have a computer then, so didnt know then what i do now.i did think it would save my hair.

I used it for a good while but i hated the regime of twice a day,and your hair always looking like crap,useing this stuff was my first big mistake.

The second was going to AHS in April 2002,i got ripped of big time for a 2 and a half year laser bullshit therapy at the cost of £6000.at the consult i asked about the use of fin/pro but got told scare stories of flopy cocky and bitch tits,being young and single and told that, fin/pro went out of the window.

Before i went to AHS i had not lost a hair at the crown,it was only temples,but AHS wanted to use reg/min on the crown as a preventive mesure,letting them do that was the worst mistake as my hair just shedd and shedd and shedd,my hairloss was near front to back complete.all within at the most 6 months of going to AHS.

Mid 2002 with my hair near all gone i got on fin/pro from Inhousepharmacy,i used the generic 5mg pill and cut it into 4,after near 2 years of AHS bullshit i stopped going and dumped the reg/min in Aug 2004,for the last 12 months i had been useing the two together, my hair had come back some which i put down to the use of fin/pro,but within 6-8 months of dumping reg/min the regrowth really kicked in ,i am convinced that reg/min was holding my hair back on a permanent shedd,but i now had hairloss at the crown which i didnt before.

Since Aug 2004 the only thing i have used is fin/pro until i made the switch in Sept 2006,which as i said was then 4 years on it with no problems, and as i said had wished i had only gotten on it earlier.

The dut/avo again i use the generic version from inhouse with no problems,the cost was about £130 for the year but that was when the pound was better in price than it is now,if you pay in pounds the price today for generic is just under £200 for 12 months still not bad.

Joe i have/did use min/reg :angry: ,my first signs of hairloss was to the temples and you could just start to see them thin behind the hairline,this was in late 99,so i used reg/min,i was aged 29.

I didnt have a computer then, so didnt know then what i do now.i did think it would save my hair.

I used it for a good while but i hated the regime of twice a day,and your hair always looking like crap,useing this stuff was my first big mistake.

The second was going to AHS in April 2002,i got ripped of big time for a 2 and a half year laser bullshit therapy at the cost of £6000.at the consult i asked about the use of fin/pro but got told scare stories of flopy cocky and bitch tits,being young and single and told that, fin/pro went out of the window.

Before i went to AHS i had not lost a hair at the crown,it was only temples,but AHS wanted to use reg/min on the crown as a preventive mesure,letting them do that was the worst mistake as my hair just shedd and shedd and shedd,my hairloss was near front to back complete.all within at the most 6 months of going to AHS.

Mid 2002 with my hair near all gone i got on fin/pro from Inhousepharmacy,i used the generic 5mg pill and cut it into 4,after near 2 years of AHS bullshit i stopped going and dumped the reg/min in Aug 2004,for the last 12 months i had been useing the two together, my hair had come back some which i put down to the use of fin/pro,but within 6-8 months of dumping reg/min the regrowth really kicked in ,i am convinced that reg/min was holding my hair back on a permanent shedd,but i now had hairloss at the crown which i didnt before.

Since Aug 2004 the only thing i have used is fin/pro until i made the switch in Sept 2006,which as i said was then 4 years on it with no problems, and as i said had wished i had only gotten on it earlier.

The dut/avo again i use the generic version from inhouse with no problems,the cost was about £130 for the year but that was when the pound was better in price than it is now,if you pay in pounds the price today for generic is just under £200 for 12 months still not bad.

thanks for sharing your story. I've always been unsure whether to try Minoxidil, but stories like yours have put me off. I think it's not worth the risk, so I'll stick with finasteride only for at least a couple of years.

It's remarkable that you've had such good regrowth - hope it continues!

Joe,i think with reguard to reg/min its a case of how you respond,just pot luck so to speak.

Since the foam has come out i have read and seen better results,i have even thought about giving the foam a bash :blink:,but knowing how i responded to it last time cant quite go for it.so for now i think i will stick with the pill.

Hope your results are great all the best.