Sign in to follow this  
badhairdo

Meet Up With Spex

Hi all,

I thought I should write and give an update on things. As you know I have been thinking about HT most of my life, as my hair began to recede in my late teens. In 1994 I saw a rep for a free consultation on HT as I was hoping to have small amount of grafts to cover the receding temples. The rep himself was a norwood 7 who had received small number of grafts (by today's standards) placed strategically which made him look more like Norwood 5. I was very impressed with the individual strands of hair and could not tell between his original and new roots. I am surprised and saddened to read so many people have rceived bad HTs in the past, especially since micrografting seems to have been around for some time. I guess I was lucky with my choice of consultant, since he turned me away as I was only 21 and my hairloss was minimal.

14 years on, I have been lucky again to have come across this forum through the medium of which I've been able to get valuable advise from many of you, and Spex has been very helpful and caring and has helped me understand HT.

I met with him a couple of weeks ago in his home town and we spent about an hour discussing my options. He also kindly showed me his grafted hair and HT scar which was completely undetectable even at close inspection. Scarring is something I had been dreading about, at least until that day. I was amazed by his natural looking hairline and that there was no obvious sign of scarring which apparently with today's tricho closure procedure should be even less of an issue. I understand, however, that he has had FUE placed into the scar which has made the scar practically undetectable. The meeting was encouraging, and i proceeded to book a session with Dr Feller this side of Christmas to make the most of the compulsory 2 week shutdown at work. The procedure will take place on 15th December, and I will be booking 4 weeks in total to allow good recovery before having to face the 400 people in the office.

Before my face-to-face meeting with Spex, I was convinced that FUE was the only way to proceed for me, however, after our little chat I have decided to keep all options open and make the decision when i have spoken with Feller on the day of surgery.

My main concern with strip is that it takes you passed the "point of no return" i.e. once you have it, you will have to have more if your hair continues to recede, whereas, FUE provides the option to just shave your head if things get out of hand. However, I don't think shaved head suits me, and besides, with strip Spex tells me there should be plenty for further coverage if and when needed.

Spex, I know what you mean about the urge to have your hair back if you're used to having long hair. I also used to wear my hair long, and having recently been to a fancy dress party; it is amazing how much of a positive impact my long flowing "wig" made, both to my confidence and also with members of the oposite gender ;) Now, I am not that shallow, although I have been accused of vanity in the past, but can you blame me when it makes you the centre of attention ha ha. If a silly wig could make such an impact, i can't wait to see what the real mccoy will do. I was told over and over at the party "long hair suits you, you should grow your hair back". My response every time would be "just as soon as I grow back my hairline"...I very much doubt anyone understood the irony in that statement..but as Aristotle said: The ironic man seeks to amuse himself, whilst the baffoon, amuse others. And it was a sweet not a bitter irony, which I am looking forward to fulfilling.

Anyway, I am now more inclined to have strip surgery, unless I chicken out last minute. I would be grateful for any recommendations, or concerns regarding this procedure if you've at all suffered undesireable consequences. One big remaining question regarding the strip scar is: Is the scar visible / detectable when fully wet? I like to share a shower with my gf.

Cheers guys.

Nice to meet you mate! Good luck with everything! B) Let the Doc help decide the best way for YOU to go - he has experience ;)

Here are some phtos are requested. The hair density looks different in different photos, depending on the flash and angle. The hair is becoming defusive which concerns me, but Spex assures me that it can be fixed with more HT as and when required (which is why i guess he recommended strip method).

post-10230-1223220661_thumb.jpg

post-10230-1223220687_thumb.jpg

post-10230-1223220708_thumb.jpg

post-10230-1223220729_thumb.jpg

post-10230-1223220757_thumb.jpg

post-10230-1223220778_thumb.jpg

post-10230-1223220810_thumb.jpg

post-10230-1223220838_thumb.jpg

post-10230-1223220865_thumb.jpg

post-10230-1223220887_thumb.jpg

post-10230-1223220915_thumb.jpg

post-10230-1223220947_thumb.jpg

post-10230-1223220972_thumb.jpg

post-10230-1223220993_thumb.jpg

post-10230-1223221122_thumb.jpg

post-10230-1223221145_thumb.jpg

post-10230-1223221157_thumb.jpg

Are you on any meds to prevent future loss.

As for the strip scar,they can be near invisible to see,have a look at mine on my updates.

Take care bm.

No but I've been looking into it. The results seem a little inconsistant tho, depending on the individual, type of med (dut/fin/minox) and the genuine article seems to work better than the cheaper copies. Take a look at this:

http://www.hairlosshelp.com/forums/message...LE=&STARTPAGE=1

I used Minox a few years ago for six months, and nothing. Also, it's difficult to determine if these things are doing anything as hairloss happens in stages and not continuous, so can't see how the effectiveness can be established. Anyone here has had positive results?

Also, just did a quick search on the topic and came across these 2 alarming articles which freaked me out !!! http://www.topix.com/forum/drug/proscar/T0KGFP19QC3CDB54V and http://www.scalpmed-reviews.com/the-danger...le-side-effects

Please post your opinions as i am having second thoughts on this... :o

Just checked return flights to NY dep 12/12 return 16/12 works out £292. HT sched. for 15/12. Does this sound like a good deal? Also, my parents live in California, so I was thinking about flying out there after surgery for a fortnight. Is that wise? Will I be in the condition to go about or should I just head back? Will I be able to use a bandana to cover the horror from people / family?

Need to decide pretty soon as must book flight asap. Would really appreciate some feedback. Cheers.

Just checked return flights to NY dep 12/12 return 16/12 works out £292. HT sched. for 15/12. Does this sound like a good deal? Also, my parents live in California, so I was thinking about flying out there after surgery for a fortnight. Is that wise? Will I be in the condition to go about or should I just head back? Will I be able to use a bandana to cover the horror from people / family?

That is a good deal mate!

Travelling over to see the folks is no prob - and yes you can easily continue to wear a bandana to cover head :)

Cheers Spex. I will book the flight once I decide where I'm going from there. Just wondering if the doctor still recommends HT at this stage if I 'chicken' out of meds as I'm not sure the HT procedure he recommended is meant to work in combination with medication. There is a forum specifically set up just to deal with some adverse permanent effects of the meds some people seem to be experiencing http://www.propeciahelp.com/forum/ (I know you are not suffering from side effects, which is great). So there is a lot at stake to gamble for me. But based on the way my hairloss is advancing (recession at the front and defuse everywhere else) does he still believe I will have enough donor hair to maintain a good coverage in the future? I cannot imagine how much coverage I could have if / when my hairloss progresses to norwood 6/7, like my dad & bro did. This is where I was thinking FUE may provide option to bail out if / when things get out of hand, rather than having to spread donor hair thinly because I won't be able to buzz it off. I expect if I shed heavily, then the worst case scenario would be the donor hair will be used in such a way to leave a good coverage in the front and temples at the expense of the crown where the hairs will be less densely packed??

Hi - The exact approach can only be determined when he sees you in person. Many guys do venture down the HT route regardless of meds - its a personal choice and one thats planned for with your HT doc - Best discuss with the Doc on the day regarding the EXACT and appropriate plan off action for you. B)

Personally meds have been my saviour and have aiding me in achieving my end result today - I am sure many agree it has helped them also - i personally know of 1000's of guys who take meds to aid their personal situ long term. The more native hair you can maintain on your head the fewer HT 's you will require. I must say that info site is scary but never come across anyone personally with any of those sides. Many TOP clinics recommend Propecia and Dut to go hand in hand with a HT.

Generally an appropriate plan is formed at the point of surgery based on YOUR long term goal and YOUR unique situ.

I will speak to the Doc again for you mate and give you a bell! - Easier to communicate that way so nothing gets lost in translation ;)

Thx Spex.

One question. I am thinking about flighting to NY on Friday, returning on Tuesday, which is the day after the surgery. Do you think I should give it a bit more time to recover before flying back? Anyone else had problems / disconform flying back the next day?

bad hair do, i had the exact same worries as you regarding the fin. After much research & playing percentages i got on it..

Look at those links you posted, bunch of anonymous comments and it then links for you to buy their topical product which they claim safe at the end..!! dont underestimate the presence of the rival minox companies and the like in all these scare mongering stories.. The drug has been around longer for prostate issues and those problems havent been reported so wtf?

Weighing it up, hopefully being on Fin wont be a lifetime thing either if Hair cloning will hurry up and get on the market in the next decade!

hey bad hair do , just realised im actually booked in exactly a month after you with Dr Feller for FUE procedure,

shit forgot it was so close! cant wait though..

keep us updated on your progress and ill be doing likewise.. And yes similary Spex is a life saver, he is the Obi Wan of the the HT galaxy this side of the pond!! :D met up earlier this year and it sealed it for me...

btw the way i got on the Fin exactly 6 months ago and just took some status photos tonight.. improvement already i believe.. its definitly improved my existing hair and cannot detect any further loss altho they say a year or so before you should judge..

i ditched minox after a over a year on it... The only impact i felt it was having for me was on my bank balance!

Hey Bobilero,

You lifted me right up just as I was falling down the hole of despair and confusion. I too have spent some time researching Fin, and for several years have resisted the temptation to just grab a pill and wash it down with a glass of water, or perhaps something stronger. The website above did give me some concern, but speaking to honest, decent people on this forum like yourself and Spex who have shared their own experience and reached out and pulled me out of the mud of uncertainty and self deprecation has helped getting up in the mornings a little easier.

I have taken the plunge, perhaps more out of despair than anything else, and ordered a first course of fin from Dr Ashcroft who was equally warm and charming. He also explained his concern regarding avodart which confirmed what some doctors have published on websites (although we've established it is not to be taken too seriously). Of course there are no major concerns involving this newer medication, except that the effects of fin are also present in people with certain condition who have been studies for decades without any signs of problems, whilst the effect of Avodart cannot be compared to any naturally occurring phenomenon (although apparently 2.5% strength seems to have caused new hairs in the frontal hairline of some volunteers!) So, I gladly chose to play safe and go with fin for now.

I am really looking forward to my Christmas present and hope that Dr Feller, as always, delivers well, because I really could do with a break in life. I can tell you this that I have had many painful and scary facial operations (which make HT feel like a walk in the park) and every time I have been better for it. Yes, I have been petrified, yes I have been afraid of dying on the operating table or coming out looking like a freak, but as they say, so far so good. I really need some hair to go with my new found looks and HT may just be the answer.

Incidentally I am not sure if anyone has come across this seemingly revolutionary breakthrough in hair growth which is said to be available commercially in 5 years time (hair cloning is probably 10 years away). Check this site out and let me know your thoughts http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/7431092.stm and http://www.baldingblog.com/2008/06/03/in-t...t-5-years-away/ or just google "Intercytex".

PS I am going to book into the Andrews Hotel, so if anyone has any alternative recommendations, lets here it... :)

Good luck Bobilero, and I promise to keep everyone posted once the job is done.

As we engineers say..."if in ain't broke, don't fix it, and if it is, then there is no harm in trying..."

Happy hairdos everyone... B)

btw the way i got on the Fin exactly 6 months ago and just took some status photos tonight.. improvement already i believe.. its definitly improved my existing hair and cannot detect any further loss altho they say a year or so before you should judge..

Any chance you can post some photos and cheer up the lost ones amongst us :huh:

Any chance you can post some photos and cheer up the lost ones amongst us :huh:

yeah sure mate.. sounds like you are all set there on the up.. best of luck with everything.

3 pics here.. One from March 08 (with the outline in it). 2 from last night one with and without flash. Been on the fin since april 08.

post-12029-1224101302_thumb.jpg

post-12029-1224101380_thumb.jpg

post-12029-1224101415_thumb.jpg

OMG what a transformation. You carry on improving like that and you won't need an HT :lol:

Got my first course of tablets in today. Got a bit of cold, so I'll wait till its cleared to make sure I can establish any side effects relating to fin. I also need to get a half decent camera. The pics I took in 2007 are much clearer than the ones I took with my phone. So, I will nip over to Costco in the week and grab a cam before starting on this beast.

I am thinking about having FUE in december as should my hair fall out rapidly like a ticking time bomb going off when it feels like it, then I will just shave it off if it leaves my hair patchy, as I doubt I will have enough donor to do a good coverage. Perhaps 2 or 3 FUE sessions and then crop it down to grade 1 which should look a bit better than shaving down to zero. Of course if Fin retains my hair, then I can consider strip to lower my hairline or impove coverage later...or I could forget about all this and just go around dressed like :ph34r: !!

OMG what a transformation. You carry on improving like that and you won't need an HT :lol:

Got my first course of tablets in today. Got a bit of cold, so I'll wait till its cleared to make sure I can establish any side effects relating to fin. I also need to get a half decent camera. The pics I took in 2007 are much clearer than the ones I took with my phone. So, I will nip over to Costco in the week and grab a cam before starting on this beast.

I am thinking about having FUE in december as should my hair fall out rapidly like a ticking time bomb going off when it feels like it, then I will just shave it off if it leaves my hair patchy, as I doubt I will have enough donor to do a good coverage. Perhaps 2 or 3 FUE sessions and then crop it down to grade 1 which should look a bit better than shaving down to zero. Of course if Fin retains my hair, then I can consider strip to lower my hairline or impove coverage later...or I could forget about all this and just go around dressed like :ph34r: !!

Yeah only regret is i didnt get on the Fin earlier mate to maintain and then i might not have had to have a HT but its been many a year since ive been happy with my 'hairline' so bring it on... im declaring war on MPB! But Now getting grey hairs too.. :angry: Age what a fucking swine it is !!

Good idea all round to document all your progress with a camera . thats what im gonna do at intervals to clearly see any improvements.. i actually had my hair buzzed down to grade 0/1 for quite some time, i feel it suits me so thats why im going the fue option . It will also cover me if the shit hit the fan down the line and the fin stopped working...

Incidentally how long you taking off work? Ive got bout 3 and a half weeks post op so hoping thats enuff to get a bit of barnet back to disguise it all.. Thats why im planning to have the best post op regime i can put together to give me the best chance.. Also im going incognito on this whole thing ! and not telling no-one (except me mate whos me hairdresser)so im trying to think of somewere to piss off for a week or 2 vacation..! i think the Sun is out due to the graphs and stuff so still mulling that over... B)

4 weeks in total. I spent sometime looking at post op photos of people here to see when the scabs, redness, scars etc went away, and it really depends on your physiology mate. With FUE I think the donor area is not an issue, but the recipient area and the redness and swelling and the 'funny' hairs that "haven't fallen out yet" that will be the tell-tale signs of a shameful HT which I hope a strategic comb over may disguise from unsuspecting eyes. I am lucky in a way that my skin heals quickly and I have fast hair growth (well, where it's still growing that is!), so will decide before heading back to the office whether to buzz it all off or keep some length round the front to cover the blushy forehead. I think the best strategy will be to buzz the back to keep the length even in and around the donor area and slightly longer at the front to fringe the temples and hopefully blend it all in.

Incidentally, I came across a couple of scientific test reports that conclude people with liver disorders should consult their doctor before taking fin, and also the drug can accelerate alcohol induced damage to liver. As a student I was a chronic bringer for a few years and found that I have a slightly inflamed liver with fatty deposits after an ultrasound scan detected it, whilst looking for potential kidney stone or tunours. So, I will get a thumbs up from my GP before getting onto this drug as I am not sure I will be doing my liver any favours to be perfectly honest. I guess a rigorous healthy exercise regime should help the poor liver recover somewhat, but the thought of abstinence from alcohol is something I find a hard pill to swallow...

yeah totally fella, get yourself checked out with the GP so before hand.. Always the safest option before u get on anything.. i had a similar boozing culture in college and i dont seem to have gotten out of it unfortunatly.! :P

Must say i did not ever read anything about effects on the liver. i had a quick look up there and

seen some arguments and there is for and against as usual. Im gonna go with the official reports and play percentages on this one. I stopped reading all that stuff , Otherwise you'd go crazy with these endless scare stories .

As i say , hopefully it aint a life time decision anyhow with other advanced treatments coming on the market in the next decade or so.

Im planning a similar plan post op care, getting on MSM although i believe you have to go off the week of the procedure (due to blood thinning).. But the plan would be as you say, try for as much growth as possible on top the first 4 weeks to cover up any evidence. Also im booked in for the procedure on a Friday and i think im gonna leave on the Sunday. That seemed to be the general concensus around the place.

I hope im not like something out of the living dead on the flight home..! :)

Best of luck! I went to New York about the same time last year to see Dr Feller. I did a similar thing and combined a 2 week holiday onto xmas shutdown. Also a great time to be in New York as its cold and everyone is wearing hats etc...

Come January/February you'll wonder why you never had it done earlier in your life... Took me 2 years to commit to an HT and now Im over the moon!

Dr Feller is an excellent choice, and The Andrew is a great place to stay. My gf and I stayed in NYC for 2 nights before having the HT, I then moved hotels to the Andrew in Queens. I then planned to lay low in the hotel for a few days after but after one day of rest, the second I was out walking around the small town getting dvds and snacks for the hotel room. By the 3rd day we were riding the train back into NYC for one last day site seeing....

Flying home wasn't a problem. Straight through security wearing my hat, didn't even get asked to remove it. Flew AA on a night flight so the cabin lights were on really dim so people could sleep so I took my hat off as nobody could see me, just put it back on when landing etc...

Best of luck with your HT...!

Thx guys for keep coming back with useful tips and stuff that helps ease this "journey". Hope it all goes smoothly, as I am dreading about stuff going wrong etc etc. But nothing is without it's risks, and unless disaster strikes, I'm sure I'll be happy with the outcome as I am not fussy, just want a natural look and something better than what I have now. I am sure Dr Feller knows what he's doing.

BTW, I started on fin on Tuesday...so far so good as nothing down there's dropped off yet ;)