Sign in to follow this  
thinhair

The Nightmare Continues...........

Hey

It's been a frighteningly long 3 1/2 months since me taking the plunge and it still is causing as much heartache and pain since the day I carried out the op.

There has been no significant improvement in the last month or so, if anything my redness seems to have got worse. On one side of the hairline, my skin is inflammed and there is a clear difference between my untouched skin in comparison to the transplanted area.

Also te scalp continues to irritate and itch, I think Dr Feller referred to earlier as post op swelling. Surprised it hasnt subsided as of yet.

Also it seems as though there is a bit of pitting that is visible in certain areas which affects me the most as in public under natural daylight it is visible on the hairline. Indoors the damage to the skin cannot be seen fully, its on a cloudy day or under shawdows (ie say a petrol station) where the skin looks at its worst.

I can't keep my transplanted hair long because I shave my sides down every 2 days, but when I shave the transplanted area, the skin condition is more apparent because its so short. Caught between a rock and a hard place.

I was told I could shave my head no problem after the transplant, but from what I can see there isnt much chance at the moment because the scarring is all too apparent.

I honestly would love to come on here and say my HT was looking good. And even though I regret my decision, i would like to say my recovery and healing is all good.

But this isnt the case :(

I will post pics up next week even though pics cant be very deceptive

I have emailed Dr Feller and he answered my questions, its just a shame he isnt just a short drive away where he can check out my concerns.

Most of the threads on here are of jubilance and joy, but I'm sad to say my case isnt....

I have ocd which causes panic for me, but my eyes do not decieve me and it doesnt hinder me when it comes to assessing my situation. Some feel my condition at times is an excuse for my worries. But that is plain ignorance to the condition itself.

I just want my old balding head back, I think I will end up lasering or FUE'ing my hair out in the future. Hopefully with no adverse effect.

Because my lifes a mess right now

I have been reading your story mate and do feel for you and understand that you have a condition and i dont mean any offense whatsoever, but it sounds to me as though you need to calm down and pull yourself together !

Youve just travelled all that way and paid for one of the best hair surgeons in the world and now your talking about lasering all that good work, time and money off ?

It seems to me your constantly looking at youre head, cutting your hair every other day and looking for problems which i bet arent there.

If youre healing has taken a turn for the worst then my apologies. But i rekon you should calm down and give it a little longer. Stop cutting, looking and fiddling with your head and in a few months or so i reckon you will feel a lot more better and happier. Good luck mate.

Hey thinhair buddy , I agree with jgs ....

Just take a good look back at the first 7 words of your post , read them carefully and take them on board ........

" It's been a frighteningly long 3 1/2 months ..... "

Now take away the " frighteningly long " and put in the word " only" ........... Now I think you shoud really be understanding what I'm getting at here ?

I don't mean to take you genuine concerns and fears lightly , but you have to understand that at only 3 1/2 months you will look a dam sight more worse than you did before your op , I looked fucking terrible at only 3 1/2 months bud , like a fucking stupid monk !

You are been far too hard on yourself , nobody on these forums who has had work done ever looked "good at only 3 1/2 months , you will not be even regrowing any transplanted graft hair after this very short period of time .

Man you have to chill out and take a very very big fucking step back , this is a very very long and irritatingly slow process .

So that is for you lack of growth ,but without pics buddy i can't begin to offer advice over you inflamed scalp , i know from my own experience that my scalp remained red and "pitted" like a strawberry skin for upto 7 months , it got better and better until it is no longer noticable , but it took months and months and fucking months of very very slow healing before it looked like normal skin again .

Please please try not to worry , have faith in yourself and your choice of surgeon , Dr Feller is one of the worlds best HT surgeons and your healthy fear of being the first to have all this shit go wrong is , I'm affraid , unfounded , you will be buzzing by 7 months and smiling like a lunatic by 9 months , but for now you have to really go and find something to occupy your time or you will send yourself insane , and aggrivate your already dificult to cope with OCD .

Have faith and start to believe in yourself more , you will be fine , I live in North Yorkshire and are more than willing to meet up with you if you want to see some 9 month old results , I have over 600 pics on my lap top charting my progess from day 1 untill today .

If you think it may help put your mind at ease , I'm willing to drive , within reason , to chat in person .

Take a deep breath , go grab a coffee and chill the fuck out buddy , you will feel better , I garantee it hahaahaha

richie

Mate,dont even think of lasering your grafts ect-remember why you had a H/T in the first place.Your over three months out so anytime soon you will see major improvements,you have come this far so just hang in there.Have a look at Luckyuk's montage which can be seen after Fellers montage has finished,im guessing your not too disimiliar,look how it grows at the point you yourself are almost at.....hope this helps.At least you havent had crown work like Ritchie and i,thats a whole lot slower! :D

Thinhair,

Lateral slits do not cause pitting. Also when we met several weeks ago, they was NO pitting and you had NO redness to write home about (Your skin is dark brown). Even your brother confirmed there was NO redness who was there when we met. Fingering,touching, shaving your head constantly is going to certainly effect the area HTd and is 99.9 % the reason you still feel you are struggling.

Your extreme anxiety over your HT is quite concerning as i feel you persoanlly are hindering your ht and the area worked on.

No one has ever had pitting via lateral slit so i think you need to possibly rephrase or understand what "pitting" is.

If you had left your recipient area alone as requested by the doc and not caused aggrevation to the area then your situation as you see it would have been a damm sight better.

I recommend you come along to the meet in september and not only see Dr Feller but meet several posters here so they can see your situation for themselves as then they will also be able to understand and help confirm everything is as it should be at this stage, and maybe put your mind at rest..

Spex

Just like to make one thing clear lads, I DO NOT KEEP TOUCHING OR MESSING ROUND WITH MY SCALP. The only thing I do is carefully buzz it after 5-6 days so it keeps to a similar level to my sides which I shave down every 2-3 days. Sorry it came across as if I shave my transplanted area every couple of days.

jgs - thanks for your response, I try to keep positive but then I look at my scalp in certain conditions it looks desperate which causes me great anxiety.

richie - thanks, its incredibly kind and comforting for you to be willing to meet up. It's interesting reading your up on your case and how you've healed etc. You saying your skin was red and pitted like for 7 months before fully repairing also gives me hope of my skin fully repairing.

spex - thanks, there seems to be some sort of pitting since some hairs have started sprouting - there are a few areas which concern me where ithe hairs are growing from a much lower level than the rest. Which causes a holey type of appearance. I am honest hand on heart not talking bullshite for the sake of it. Maybe these hairs were inserted a tad too deep. Also the lad who came with me is my cousin, and bless him he wants me too feel good and always says dont worry it looks fine etc. When I met with u it was a bright sunny day which makes my head look kinda normal because it just shines off. When the sun is out I have a field day! Cos it makes my scalp look more normal.

My inflammed redness concerns me because it is just in the middle and right part of my scalp whilst the left part has more or less settled. I have read this can be caused because of the tissue being damaged from the transplant. Or maybe in time it will fully settle. Looks normal in light and sunlight, but looks a lot different in dull light.

I will try and come at the meet but dont wish to put a dampner on which I'm sure will be filled with people who are over the moon about their transplants. It would be cool to meet Dr Feller and him to give me a proper check. I'm gonna email him and ask for a few minutes of his time when he is over here. I was half thinking of making a trip to Belgium and asking Dr Bisanga to have a quick look to put my mind at ease as its only a 2hr journey in train.

This gig is just not for me, but hope to be smiling some time soon :( :)

Hey thin

Here is a detailed pic of my pink skin , " pitting" and "leather feel strawberry skin " , this is after one month but it stayed for up to 7 months , it faded very slowly and the feel of the skin returned to normal , it became increasingly hard to show in photographs , even with the quality of mine hahahahaha , but I can assure you it stayed for along time , people even commented at our " hair geek meet " in Manchester that my scalp was still pink and this was is in april 2008 , a good 5 months later .

As Spex has mentioned , maybe it would be a good idear for you to go along to the September show case to meet other guys in a similar position to yourself , don't worry about this " mythical " everyone has good experiences as , believe me , many people post but rarly do they admit there own anxieties over that " god I hope I'm not the first for this to fail " ..........

You are right were you should be , so try to stop worring and make arrangements to go to the September meet .

IPB Image

anything I can do to help just get intouch

richie

I feel your pain, I'm going through the same thing a litte after two months out of OP. Worse part for me is the bumps, they seem to be only on one side of my temple and this area is getting worse. The bumps are more sensative and the area is not only sore but numb. I have been applying hot towels every morning and night and just when they seem to settle down, I wake up the next morning and the bumps are back and bigger! I have been applying anti-biotic cream as well, little to no effect. Everyone keeps telling me that it will take several months to see any improvement and any difference. so I keep holding on to that. But I feel the same as you, like I've just spent allot of money for nothing. I will keep waiting and will not give up, hope you keep plugging as well....

I feel your pain, I'm going through the same thing a litte after two months out of OP. Worse part for me is the bumps, they seem to be only on one side of my temple and this area is getting worse. The bumps are more sensative and the area is not only sore but numb. I have been applying hot towels every morning and night and just when they seem to settle down, I wake up the next morning and the bumps are back and bigger! I have been applying anti-biotic cream as well, little to no effect. Everyone keeps telling me that it will take several months to see any improvement and any difference. so I keep holding on to that. But I feel the same as you, like I've just spent allot of money for nothing. I will keep waiting and will not give up, hope you keep plugging as well....

Read the "Post Op Blues" topic on here mate.

OK, for all those worrying about looking crap at 3,5 months, here is my pic at 3,5 months after my first HT into the front third:

IPB Image

And here is a picture 12 months after my first HT:

IPB Image

Looking crap at 3,5 months post-op is normal after a front third HT, so is a pink scalp and so is uneven growth. As you can see from my pic at 3,5 months a lot more hair had come through on one side than the other. A few months later my hair was even, the pinkness had gone completely and I had plenty of hair.

Thinhair,

I met you inside in a hotel in a everyday very normal environment and everything looked 100%.

You are the< only patient ever who has has increased redness as when i sasw you several weeks ago you looked great especially against your dark skin, very quick healing! Your so called inflammed redness is something i have never heard of so therefore your constant shaving of the area will most certainly play a role here as discussed.

Grafts will not have been placed too deep as they get placed at the same depth with lateraly slit.

I know that it will not matter how many times i or everyone on every forum tells you that you need to ride this time out and be patient.

I HIGHLY RECOMMEND YOU COME AND MEET EVERYONE AT THE MEET IN SEPTEMBER AND ALLOW EVERYONE TO SEE. Manhy there will be able to inform you that everyhing at this stage looks normal andithat they were they too and that actually isn't actually as bad as you think it is.

Please come along :)

Hi Thinhair.

You really do have to wait it out as everyone keeps telling you.

I know its a tough time you are having but if you can make the meeting it will help you out so much.

pb buddy

why was your post edited , what did you write ?

come on big guy get your pics back up , they are helpful and much needed support for newbies

a confused richie

Whoa ! far to fuckin' political for me ,

Please try to keep the infomation flowing , you helped me when I started this HT journey and I know your experiences are valued to new guys .

All these sites should put the patients first , fuck the politics leave that for Brown and co , easy for me to say as I don't have to fund them and you guys do , but lets just put the helping of bald guys the priority , eh ?

richie

thinhair, you really are not listening to peole it seems. I too had prolonged redness and had wirey sunken stubborn grafts for ages post op. This is part of the healing process. I can hear the frustration in posters who are trying so very hard to tell you its all normal but you continue to ignore them. You obviously are not prepared to even wait as taking about laser,sheer fucking maddness!! :blink: This clearly highlights a great deal.

Stop looking at it all the time and stop shaving it ll the time, you will feel and look 10x better.

Pull yourself together and instead of posting, read! Read as many posts and previous experiences with redness and funny looking grafts. Its the norm for 3 months.

This will more than likely fall on deaf years which is frustrating so all the best and suck it up!

Thinhair - Dr Feller is here in a matter of weeks and was the Doc who performed your session, knows your session, your condition, physiology, long term plan which you discussed with him - your surgeon

He is in the UK and more than happy to see you to help with your ongoing concerns surrounding your recovery post op your FUE session.

By all means see which ever doc you want to give you their opinion , but they do not know you, your physiology, fellers technique, and were not your doctor.

If you feel it will help you go for it but i personally think Dr Feller might just be a little more insightful into your situation as you see it than any other doctor.

Feel free to email me and i can easily set it up for you to see Dr Feller - who is eager to see you i am sure to to offer ongoing help at this still very early stage of your HT.

You know my email so drop me an email - and i will gladly co-ordinate it so you and the Doc can have a good chat and this will most certainly put to rest your concerns i am sure mate.

All these sites should put the patients first , fuck the politics leave that for Brown and co , easy for me to say as I don't have to fund them and you guys do , but lets just put the helping of bald guys the priority , eh ?

You are right Richie - I put my pics back up. Hopefully my pics will help those panicking at 3,5 months that it will all turn out good in the end. You just have to be patient - easier said than done, I know.

Thinhair, i really must agree with all of the above statements from the forum members.

For you to be judging your ht at this very early stage is oing to cause you even more frustration and anxiety.

I know it can be hard and we have all been there with no exception, but you must let nature do its course in healing and regrowing.

you should come to the september meet, as im sure you will be able to see many ht`s at different stages, and all very similar to your own.

I can`t wait for you to be at 12 - 18 months so i can tell you " I TOLD YOU SO " :D

your topic title can then be " my dream continues"

Cheers Pete

Sounds like you are experiencing a long recovery time. Everyone here knows what they are on about thinhair so i am sure it will turn out well. Badhairuk' s old posts were similar to yours about funny grafts and redness. He was very down back then :( Looki at him now B) B) I think his last post was~ "Dr Feller saved my life" :P

Thinhair,

Hang on and be patient, the first few months are terrifying, I was worried about poor growth etc, at 3+ months I looked like shite, and did so till at least 6-7 months post op, I fully understand why you are panicing but be assured that things will improve, and if things dont work out I am sure Dr Feller will help you as much as he can, BadhairUK is a prime example and his situation was far worse than you and I and look at him now.

Lucky

Thinhair...

try to chill mate... I know thats 100% easier said than done. We all have concerns during this time and it seems to go on forever...

I am at 4 months and still a long way to go. I do not think that any surgery is as easy as we hope to get over... please.. give it another 3 months and think about it then.

PS.

Re PB being edited... not happy about that. This forum and PB are about the best I have ever found. There are many good guys on here and PB that are only looking out for guys best interests. I think that SLHN and PB should support each other.

Tim

Hi Tim,

Hope you are well mate.

try to chill mate... I know thats 100% easier said than done. We all have concerns during this time and it seems to go on forever...

I am at 4 months and still a long way to go. I do not think that any surgery is as easy as we hope to get over... please.. give it another 3 months and think about it then.

Its normal to be anxious and uncertain especially as you start to approach 3/4 months. This is just the start of it though as mentioned many times - Its the start as the body takes time to heal and repair and everyone grows at different time scales and also heal in different time scales - there have been many documtented cases to show this and reassure new HT guys. This uncertainty/anxiety will go on till the end of time - Its human nature and completely normal - People will always be anxious in the early stages - they continue to have concerns for several months until finally the realisation finally kicks in - This commonly takes 8-12 months. See the numerous posts from various patients from a variety of different clinics - 1 common denominater - ANXIETY in the early days ;)

Wait till hair greed kicks in - ;) Thats a whole new world of pain :P