Sign in to follow this  
Scotty

Proscar Dividing

I have bee taking Proscar half a tablet mon-wed-fri and was told that would be ok. its impossible to divide the pills into fifths. will it make any difference of is it ok with the mon-wed-fri regime?

I have bee taking Proscar half a tablet mon-wed-fri and was told that would be ok. its impossible to divide the pills into fifths. will it make any difference of is it ok with the mon-wed-fri regime?

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=3UUjPNTr9eM

aaaargghhhhh!!!! cant access you tube.......can anyone help me with the above question?????

I use a pill cutter - it is very tricky cutting it into fifths, let-alone equal fifths but I manage it just about. I don't think it matters if one day a segment is bigger than the next day.

You could try dividing it into quarters and take one quarter a day which is fine, but you'll run out of your supply a little sooner.

I use a pill cutter - it is very tricky cutting it into fifths, let-alone equal fifths but I manage it just about. I don't think it matters if one day a segment is bigger than the next day.

You could try dividing it into quarters and take one quarter a day which is fine, but you'll run out of your supply a little sooner.

I have heard that taking half a pill mon-wed-fri would be ok but as my hair is getting worse im wondering if its doing any good

I find cutting into fifths is really easy,i put the pill on a tea towel,get a sharp knike and with the middle of the blade cut the top of the pill .Then the remaining part i cut into quarters.

Rarely you get a fifth which may crumble slightly.I just stick my tongue on any small bits.

Did you get your proscar ok in the end from Dr A.

I find cutting into fifths is really easy,i put the pill on a tea towel,get a sharp knike and with the middle of the blade cut the top of the pill .Then the remaining part i cut into quarters.

Rarely you get a fifth which may crumble slightly.I just stick my tongue on any small bits.

Did you get your proscar ok in the end from Dr A.

Yeah got Proscar form the Dr......Does anyone think taking these pills mon-wed-fri will be working or actually making my hair worse.....is the dosage unbalanced or it it ok..........if i change to fifths im wondering this change in regime will cause me to shed more hair????? help!!!!!!

My personal opinion i would say its ok taking it like that,but most people who dont do fifths nearly always do quarters and miss one day,then start again.

Scotty

Have a look at this topic as it may answer your question.

http://pb-hair.co.uk/forums/view_topic.php?id=67&forum_id=5

Forgive my ignorance but im still unclear if taking half a pill mon-we-fri is still working????

The attachment seems to focus on the comparison in performance to Propecia and Proscar???

In the 'finasteride half-life thread' Pondle said that it takes several days for DHT to return to normal levels after taking one dose. So I guess taking it every other day shouldn't make a difference to the amount of DHT supressed.

However if you're concerned, switch to taking 1/5 or 1/4 every day so then you know for sure that you're getting a daily dose of Fin.

Scotty

Have a look at this topic as it may answer your question.

http://pb-hair.co.uk/forums/view_topic.php?id=67&forum_id=5

Forgive my ignorance but im still unclear if taking half a pill mon-we-fri is still working????

The attachment seems to focus on the comparison in performance to Propecia and Proscar???

In the 'finasteride half-life thread' Pondle said that it takes several days for DHT to return to normal levels after taking one dose. So I guess taking it every other day shouldn't make a difference to the amount of DHT supressed.

However if you're concerned, switch to taking 1/5 or 1/4 every day so then you know for sure that you're getting a daily dose of Fin.

When people are taking it in quarters how often throughout the week are they taking it??????

Four days in a row then miss a day and repeat for life

Four days in a row then miss a day and repeat for life

[/quoi

is this as effective as taking half a pill mon-wed-fri sounds like its a pill and a half per week anyhow?????

You need one mil per day on average for it to be effective so with your current regime you may not be getting enough fin in your system.

Do the quarters or fifths and and take it from there.

The well-known hairloss community expert Bryan Shelton has a graph showing that even after various SINGLE doses of finasteride, DHT levels only slowly rise back up over the next few days (despite the fact that finasteride is almost completely out of the system after only a day or two).

The reason for that is that the DHT-creating type 2 5-alpha-reductase enzyme inhibited by finasteride only slowly regenerates (apologies to Bryan for my plagiarism of his post on another site).

However, for me the bottom line is that 1mg per day is the recommended and most well-studied dose for hair loss. It seems wise to follow it as closely as you can, and not muck about with different dosing schedules and quantities. I cut my Proscar tablet into either quarters or fifths and try to take a piece every day.

However, for me the bottom line is that 1mg per day is the recommended and most well-studied dose for hair loss. It seems wise to follow it as closely as you can, and not muck about with different dosing schedules and quantities. I cut my Proscar tablet into either quarters or fifths and try to take a piece every day.

do you take dutesteride as well now?

The well-known hairloss community expert Bryan Shelton has a graph showing that even after various SINGLE doses of finasteride, DHT levels only slowly rise back up over the next few days (despite the fact that finasteride is almost completely out of the system after only a day or two).

The reason for that is that the DHT-creating type 2 5-alpha-reductase enzyme inhibited by finasteride only slowly regenerates (apologies to Bryan for my plagiarism of his post on another site).

Ok, Just to confirm then, I should take a quarter mon-tue-wed-thu none fri then sat-sun-mon-tue is this the correct way?????

Also is this effective as taking it in fifths, its just really hard trying to cut the pill in fifths????

Thats correct Scotty on the regime.

I`m sure Spex does it in quarters too.

No, it would be pointless to take two similar drugs at exactly the same time! I have experimented with Avodart & Dutas as replacements for Proscar in the past, but I got sexual sides and I was worried about the possibility of gyno.

Ok, Just to confirm then, I should take a quarter mon-tue-wed-thu none fri then sat-sun-mon-tue is this the correct way?????

Also is this effective as taking it in fifths, its just really hard trying to cut the pill in fifths????

That should be fine. Personally, I try to take a piece every day, but missing a day here and there shouldn't pose any problem.

No, it would be pointless to take two similar drugs at exactly the same time! I have experimented with Avodart & Dutas as replacements for Proscar in the past, but I got sexual sides and I was worried about the possibility of gyno.

That should be fine. Personally, I try to take a piece every day, but missing a day here and there shouldn't pose any problem.

I have read that changing my regime could cause further shedding is this true?

Is taking a quarter a day as effective as taking fifths everyday???

It depends what you mean by changing your regimen. If you mean adding minoxidil, that's certainly true.

Yes.

It depends what you mean by changing your regimen. If you mean adding minoxidil, that's certainly true.

Yes.

#

By changing regime I meant can changing form half a pill mon-wed-fri to quarters cause any effect on shedding ??

By changing regime I meant can changing form half a pill mon-wed-fri to quarters cause any effect on shedding ??

It shouldn't make any difference.

It shouldn't make any difference.

Whats the effects of coming off the meds all together, i have been on it for 1yr and half since i have started my hair on the top of my head has got so much thinner im receding to the extent now i cant disguise....how do we know for sure these meds are in fact making our hair worse because I havent seen anything happen except my hairloss has got more harder to disguise

If you come off the meds, you will experience a shed and within a few months you'll lose all of the hair you gained or kept as a result of the treatment.

Like I told you in another thread, we know that finasteride and minoxidil won't make your hair loss worse because (a) they have been the subject of numerous clinical trials, which proved their benefit for hair loss; and (B) in the case of finasteride, the way the drug works means that it would fly in the face of clinical logic for it to make hair loss worse.

Unfortunately, maybe you just aren't a good responder to hair loss meds. Have a conversation with Dr Ashcroft and see what he thinks.

Is it possible to take too much? ie if I take a quarter everyday do I have to take a day off after four days?

No, because:

a. The drug doesn't build up in your system - it's virtually eliminated within 24 hours; and

b. There are diminishing returns to doses higher than 1mg - they don't inhibit much more DHT. I've posted the chart below, which demonstrates this, a few times in different threads.

IPB Image

Is it possible to take too much? ie if I take a quarter everyday do I have to take a day off after four days?

No, because:

a. The drug doesn't build up in your system - it's virtually eliminated within 24 hours; and

b. There are diminishing returns to doses higher than 1mg - they don't inhibit much more DHT. I've posted the chart below, which demonstrates this, a few times in different threads.

IPB Image

Hvae to say everyone I have been on proscar since 2006 and my hairloss at the crown has got worse. Im able to disguise the hailine with the hairwax i use but my crown is getting thinner by the month, im wondering whether to come of the proscar for all we know this could be making it worse, i did a search on the net and there are many forums whereby people find this is happening too. the truth is since on the meds my hair has thinned a hell of a lot

Hvae to say everyone I have been on proscar since 2006 and my hairloss at the crown has got worse. Im able to disguise the hailine with the hairwax i use but my crown is getting thinner by the month, im wondering whether to come of the proscar for all we know this could be making it worse, i did a search on the net and there are many forums whereby people find this is happening too. the truth is since on the meds my hair has thinned a hell of a lot

Internet forums aren't reliable sources of information. You have to remember that a lot of guys on hairloss forums admit to buying (probably fake) drugs from internet pharmacies; then there are the countless cranks, spammers, trolls and self-appointed, misinformed "experts".

I seriously doubt that finasteride is making your hairloss *worse* - I'd guess that, at the very least, it's slowing it down. As SAF recently said in another thread, no treatment is foolproof. Around 1 in 6 men taking finasteride continue to lose hair after a year.