Sign in to follow this  
badhairdo

Best Fue Transplant Surgeon?

Hi all,

I was just wondering if anyone can recommend the best surgeon/s for the FUE technique. I Need HT round the front as I have been told i need 1000-1500 grafts to 'lower the forehead'. Cheers.

Dr Feller in New York is the best FUE surgeon in the world and i have the results to prove it :) He is also the most honest. Run a search on him on every forum. He is the very best.

In the US:

Dr Feller (NY), Dr Lindsey (Virginia) - There are more but I know for sure these two are good

In Europe:

HDC in Cyprus, Prohair Clinic in Belgium

Cheers PB. Saw your post. Rather encouraging, as the cover up seems to work pretty well. I definitely need a good cover up as I share an open office with 400 people :ph34r: So I am planning to take 4 weeks off as the HT will be mostly round the front 1/4. Good luck with the recovery and sproutings, looking good.

BTW, I did have a consult with HDC a year ago, and they were very impressive. But I heard mixed reported about them. Especially in a post from Badhairuk, something to do with an expensive wig sold as "liquid hair".

If they :unsure: are indeed good, it may be easier & cheaper to travel there rather than NY. Are they as good as the results you see on their websites?

I'm 36. My hairloss pattern has been unusual in that it happens very aggresively but only in stages. I think it happened at ages 14, 18, 25, and 30. Each time I think I lost about a cm or 2 round the front. My temples were high from a very young age and I had to comb strategically from around 18 onwards. The front of my hair was low enough to cover the sides until age 30 when I had to start brushing it forward leaving the sides exposed (lost about half inch all around the hairline). The hairline hasn't receded much since, although I have noticed gradual thinning throughout, especially round the back of crown area. I don't think it shows much except in flash photography or very bright light. The crown is beginning to be more obvious now. I am not looking for a perfect hairline as I am sure once it gets out of contol I will have to shave it off or have more HT (with no potion of shaving after that i.e. strip). For now I want to wait and see how it develops and just have a Fue to plant some hairs strategically to allow at least a reasonable hairstyle (not just brushed forward which looks naff and makes me look much older).

HDC took measurements and told me I will need 1000 grafts to bring my hair forward as per the lines drawn. I have pasted below HDC feedback, which others here might find useful. I would appreciate your comments as well. I have also attached photos if this helps.

"It was a pleasure to meet you last Wednesday. Thank you for your great feedback about our Clinic’s presentation and that you felt comfortable through out, it is positive to hear that our work is recognised. I trust that seeing our detailed presentation on the latest Hair Transplant techniques and the results of our Clinic has provided you with valuable information on deciding how to proceed with restoring your hair. As we have discussed you are a great Hair Transplant Candidate because you have only frontal hair loss that needs to be restored at the moment and your result will be great.

I have recorded the following notes from our meeting:

Taking into consideration the explanation we have provided for the two main techniques used by our clinic, we have agreed that a strip technique will be more suitable for you. Your donor area, which is good and healthy, could give even more grafts than needed for your recipient area. According to what we have discussed in the meeting we have recommended 1300 with this number varying by 10% up or down.These grafts will be used to recreate hairline and dense pack the top (temples) where hair is thinner.

In more detail:

Hairline: an area of 10.4 cm2 at density of 50 fu’s/cm2 = 520 grafts

Temples: an area of 15 cm2 at density of 50 fu’s/cm2 = 750 grafts

I am attaching photo taken during your consultation, with the suggested design of your hairline and area to be covered.

The cost for 1300 grafts will be GBP 3,400.00 and will go up or down according to the final number of grafts counted at the end of the procedure.

Please note that the number of grafts is an estimate and this may vary by +/- 10% on surgery date. We will charge for number of grafts placed.

We will provide complimentary return transfer from Larnaca airport. If you wish to stay in our guest flat, the rate offered is GBP 30.00 per night. You will also be required to take a blood test, at an extra cost of GBP 60.00, but this can be arranged here for free or you can go to a lab of your choice in the UK. It is probably better to have the test in Cyprus. "

Thought I mention, the last photo is with flash.

Thought worth mentioning, last photo is with flash

post-10230-1215989571_thumb.jpg

post-10230-1215989583_thumb.jpg

post-10230-1215989591_thumb.jpg

post-10230-1215989599_thumb.jpg

post-10230-1215989649_thumb.jpg

post-10230-1215989655_thumb.jpg

Thx for the pics, are u on meds ?

the last pic seems to suggest u are diffuse.

theres a lota ppl who know the meds scene im sure they can suggest whats best.

i think 1000 fue would help your hair line but in the bigger picture im not sure if that will give u the whole coverage u,ll want further down the line !?

Thanks for comments St domingos. I tried Minoxidil a few years ago for 6 months. It didn't do anything. I have resisted taking any oral med as I am principally against putting stuff in my body without knowing the long term side effects. I am not sure what you mean by "defuse", but my hair is thinning throughout, but don't think the scalp shows in reality like in the flash photos.

Badhairdo - Hi mate!

Thanks tfor the emails - the penny has now dropped since i have logged in here - i have been away so didn't put 2 and 2 together.

I am more than happy to send these pics over to the doc if you like and get the ball in motion as you implied via email.

I believe Dr Feller will perform on you via FUE if that is the route you wish to take but as long as you are well aware that FUE is unpredictable in terms of how many FUE grafts can be extracted safely in one day - regardless of the BS on the forums. Feller on average extract approx 1500 a day so therefore to hit the exact numbers you require depending on hairline position etc you may need a second session at some point via FUE. With a strip session you will hit the appropriate numbers required in one session definitely. You may only require 1000+ therefore you will hit the numbers via FUE.

Its ONLY on the day of surgery with FUE that the numbers can be determined as it is down to your physiology.

Let me know if you are happy for me to show your pic to Dr F - happy to help - no worries!

Spex

Pic below:

post-17-1216022756_thumb.jpg

I spent a great deal of time reading through various forums and they have been very helpful. I have done a great deal of reading and it has lead me to come to the conclusion that Dr Feller is one of the very best strip and FUE surgeons in the world. I am having FUE with him in 2 weeks and after a lengthy decision making process feel 100% confident i am going to the best FUE guy. I need slightly less than you but am planning on 1000 grafts to restore my hairline. Once i have had it done i will do a write up here and also provide pictures. Hope this helps :)

BTW, I did have a consult with HDC a year ago, and they were very impressive. But I heard mixed reported about them. Especially in a post from Badhairuk, something to do with an expensive wig sold as "liquid hair".

If they :unsure: are indeed good, it may be easier & cheaper to travel there rather than NY. Are they as good as the results you see on their websites?

Whoever it was was probably referring to the UK rep they used to have or the HDC wig place in London; the rep in question no longer works for HDC and the HDC wig place doesn't have anything to do with HDC in Cyprus. I haven't seen any of their results in the flesh - only pictures posted on various forums and their own website. Escar, HDC's Spanish rep, is a good guy though and I doubt he would post any misleading pictures. I'm not sure if it would work out cheaper or not seeing as the cheap US dollar makes travelling to the US and having surgery there very cheap at the moment.

I believe about 1500 grafts should do it. But the first thing you should do is to get on meds if you are not yet on them. You seem to be a diffuse thinner and it is very important to do all you can to keep those existing hairs as long as possible.

BV

I believe about 1500 grafts should do it. But the first thing you should do is to get on meds if you are not yet on them. You seem to be a diffuse thinner and it is very important to do all you can to keep those existing hairs as long as possible.

BV

Hi bverotti. What medication can you recommend? If you mean Finesteride, do you know if the side effects have been established? is HT recommended for defuse hairloss?

Propecia/Proscar (Finesteride) is the best known proven med to help against DHT - been on it myself 8+ yrs - no sides! - Just increased fertility - (twins)

Will help prevent further loss mainly in the mid and crown - it will not help front! - Hope this helps mate B)

Thx Spex,

I did a quick search for the 2 meds and Proscar seems cheaper. As it comes in 5mg doze you can cut it in 5 pieces which works out a lot cheaper. Any ideas what is a good price / recommend an online shop? Will I need prescription? are Proscar / Propecia equally safe?

Cheers.

Ta.

Does he prescribe proscar or Propecia for that price?

Also, since my hairloss is becoming more "defusive" will I be suitable candicate for HT? I am not sure how the hair can be maintained if the density between transplanted hair and the rest of the hair changes over time, it will look odd and also not sure if there will be enough donor to keep "thickening" it up.

decisions...decision...sigh

Proscar.

Diffuse thinners receieve HTs all the time - You just need to make sure you choose a Doc who knows what he is doing. ;)

In the US:

Dr Feller (NY), Dr Lindsey (Virginia) - There are more but I know for sure these two are good

In Europe:

HDC in Cyprus, Prohair Clinic in Belgium

I did have a consult with HDC last year and was quoted £3400 for 1300 FUE grafts. They also discussed "Trigrowthic Closure" for strip surgery.

My question is does Feller provide the same technique for strip to minimise scarring. Also how good are HDC in comparison, since the treatment with them will cost £3000 less (£3500 as opposed to £6600). Are there any examples of their before and afters? Any disgruntled patients?? :blink:

Of course he does. He is one of the best surgeons performing both Strip and FUE.

See Pete's scar, well actually you can't. He had tricho with Dr Feller. I inspected Pete's head and couldn't find it in person.

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=uiQgXY4K-uI&feature=related

Tricho is strip surgery not FUE. Make sure you know the difference.

HDC charge much more than you quoted for FUE, its here; www.hdc.com.cy. I think you are looking at the strip charges, not FUE charges.

Feller is without a doubt the best FUE surgeon out there, I do not know much about HDC, sorry. Think they perform good work though. As good as Dr Feller?? :huh:

Hi peeps, cheers for the kudos Hairroot, hope you are well.

Badhairdo, as far as strip/Fue surgery is concerned you cannot go wrong with Dr.Feller, i myself have been to him twice and the results are really coming along nicely :) , i had strip surgery as Hairroot mentioned, and my tricho closure scar is excellent, and cannot be seen.

If you are going for Fue then you only have to look at the likes of Hairroot,Spex etc etc to see that Feller is one of the very best in the world, and he proves this day in, day out with a constant supply of photos, from happy patients.

I must say though if you havent been to the big apple before, then that is one of the great perks of going to Dr.Feller and with the uk £ being so strong at the mo, everything is half price B)

Cheers Pete

I'm not sure European clinics can compete with the US clinics at the moment due to the cheap dollar - going to the US works out very cheap at the moment.

I did have a consult with HDC last year and was quoted £3400 for 1300 FUE grafts. They also discussed "Trigrowthic Closure" for strip surgery.

I think you were quoted Strip price mate - not FUE.

post-17-1217265990_thumb.jpg

1000 FUE with Dr feller cost $10 a graft - Patients will vouch that Dr Feller is very generous also and his patients often get more grafts than they pay for. B)

Exchange rate today i believe is 2.03 B)

I think you were quoted Strip price mate - not FUE.

post-17-1217265990_thumb.jpg

1000 FUE with Dr feller cost $10 a graft - Patients will vouch that Dr Feller is very generous also and his patients often get more grafts than they pay for. B)

Exchange rate today i believe is 2.03 B)

Spex im very tempted to have a HT but only been on fin for 2 months what would i do from here wait and see if the fins working?? Im receding at temples thining on the crown if the fin works for me will it stop the frontal loss by supressing DHT?

Most defo - wait 8-12 months before deciding anything mate. Stabilise loss!

Whoever it was was probably referring to the UK rep they used to have or the HDC wig place in London; the rep in question no longer works for HDC and the HDC wig place doesn't have anything to do with HDC in Cyprus. I haven't seen any of their results in the flesh - only pictures posted on various forums and their own website. Escar, HDC's Spanish rep, is a good guy though and I doubt he would post any misleading pictures. I'm not sure if it would work out cheaper or not seeing as the cheap US dollar makes travelling to the US and having surgery there very cheap at the moment.

You got it spot on PB.. The HDC I referred to in another thread was 'Hair Design Clinic' based in Hendon, London. Its just a wig shop like Advanced Hair Studio :angry: and has no connection with the HDC in Cyprus.

;)

Hi guys,

Just checked the latest responses. Thx for clearing the air on HDC badhairuk. I thought they seemed too professional to have pulled a fast one on you like that. Saw, your latest photos, your hair looks great! Wear it with confidence.

As regards the HDC costs, I was emailed by them a while ago offering £400 discount on the procedure, so it works out £3789 for 1000 FUE grafts. Feller works out £5000 for the same at 2:1 rate. I guess travel and hotel would be about the same, so HDC still works out considerably less. But from what I am reading here, it may be well worth the extra £££ and flight time to go over to the States :unsure:

I have noticed that my hairline is receding again little by little. I am planning to try Proscar, but reading BHUK's comments about shedding a lot of hair after starting on the med, I am a little apprehensive now :o

Is this normal as an initial reaction to the medication? Also, is it necessary to wait a few months to see what the outcome with fin is before going ahead with HT? I don't really want to miss the xmas slot, and although I'm a little diffuse, the hair doesn't look too bad on the crown to be perfectly honest (most people don't seem to tell). IT's just the front 1/4 I need working on for now.

One more thing, someone at work was telling me that his uncle had HT and apparently the follicles in the recipient area are slightly raised; that is, the skin surrounding the hair is a little like spots, which I am not sure whether is due to scar tissue or having to make incisions / holes to place the hairs in?! Is this common? Or is it because perhaps it’s from an old technique?

Keep them coming :D