Sign in to follow this  
Quiff

My Ht Journey

Alright guys

Back from my HT journey, in New York. It was quite a surreal experience, as it is the first time I have travelled alone and saved money like crazy so it was possible. I am hoping this write-up will be of benefit for those who dislike travelling.

Booking Preparations

Booked the flights via Virgin, just called their reservations line and had eveything booked within 5 minutes. Visas shouldn't be a problem as long as you have a machine readable british passport. To find out if it is machine readable, underneath your photo there should be 2 lines at the bottom of the page, which look something like this:

<<<<<<your name here>>>>>>>>.

<<<<<some random numbers>>>>>>>>>

Accomadation

Accomadation wise, there was a mix up in communications with the Andrew hotel, so I opted for the Royal Inn Motel (in Manhasset) instead. It is a measly 7-10 minute taxi ride to Dr Feller's Office. It worked out OK as the rooms were $125 a night, which were cleaned daily and had a/c. There is a really good Chinese/Japanese restaurant next door to it, called Pearl East.

There was a little problem on the day of the surgery. Knowing my luck, I thought I'd get up extra early (about 6:50) and ring the taxi to get to Dr Feller's office. Around 7:10, there was no taxi in sight. I rung the taxi firm again and they said I hadn't ordered a taxi (talk about a self-fulfilling prophecy). Slightly annoyed I ordered another one and made sure they had my details. I got to the offices in a real nervous state, as soon as I saw Dr Feller I knew everything was OK and I had made it on time. He has a really cool and calm demeanour.

The Procedure

In the procedure I was predicted around 3500 grafts but recieved 3600 in the end which was really cool. I don't want to sound like a drama queen but the injections are probably the most painful part of the experience. You won't exactly be howling like a banshee, but probably let off a sigh (it really is not that bad, looking back on it). After the first three, the area becomes numb so you feel less pain.

Then you spend the day having the strip taken out and having grafts put in. The technicians were highly skilled and I spent the day just chatting to them and watching the Portugal Vs. Germany euro game. We were finished about five and took the taxi back to the inn. I took the painkillers (Vicodin) every three hours. They do kill pain and make you feel real drowsy so I just slept for the rest of the day.

Tips

As soon as you leave JFK, get a licensed cab to your accomodation. The cost should be about $48-58. I had a Greek guy with the dodgiest tash pretty much taking my bags out of my hands and charging me $76. Stand your ground and DEMAND the price beforehand.

You may want to load up fruits to get the healing process kick started. There is a supermarket called King Kullen. Walk up the road from the Inn and cross the road after the first traffic light. Continue walking past the second traffic lights, and on your right there will be a shopping complex, with come arts and crafts shop, Staples and King Kullen.

When coming back to the UK, you will have to walk through the security scanners at JFK airport. If you have a hat/cap on you may want to bandage your head, just to hide the scars/scabbed forehead. I managed to walk through with my cap on and the security personnel said nothing. You may be asked to remove your hat.

You may decide to do a bit of travelling/shopping downtown Manhattan to kill some time. Get a map for the underground, when in NY. Don't think "Well if I can navigte through London Underground, NY will be a doddle" (which was my thinking). Not only is it colour coded but it is numbered as well, which is confusing. I followed a Fillipino midget as I overheard from a conversation that he was going where I was heading. Unfortunately he got caught after he ran under the swinging gates without swiping his card second time round, which screwed up my plans.

That is pretty much all I can think of. Any first time travellers please do not hesitate to message if you need any info. I am so glad a forum like this exists as I was about to go to Norton for a HT. A special thank you to Spex, PB and Tim UK for answering my newbie questions.

Below are photos of the staples and my hair just over 2 weeks (19 days to be exact, I'm not counting ;) ).

post-5981-1215551663_thumb.jpgpost-5981-1215551425_thumb.jpg

Hi mate and well done.. great write up

Glad to see that you are back safe and sound.. the whole thing is a bit of a worry.. traveling abroad on your own etc... but before you know it you are back at home wondering why all the worry.. well worth it when you consider what Norton would have done to you...

19 days and not counting :) ... I am now at 92 days.. one thing I can tell you.. you will be amazed how quick the time flies.. I cannot believe its been 3 months already for me..

Anyway... again... well done mate and look forward to seeing your updates

Tim

PS... did you stay in the USA for long ?

Cheers Spex.

Alright Tim. It's really not that bad, builds up your confidence. I wouldn't mind doing it again, prob will for HT journey no. 2 (darn hair greed :) )

Start work on the 21st July, so time will fly by. I had the interview, sooner than expected and the HR manager that was interviewing me looked at my head in a weird way. I will have to make an excuse for the scar.

I stayed for 5 days. Would have come sooner but paying £998, just to come back on the Saturday was too steep.

Hi Quiff..

I have to admire you for returning to the "world" so quick.. I hid away in the USA for nearly 2 weeks post op.. was silly really as made the Andrew Hotel room my own personal prison cell, feel stupid now for not exploring... all I managed was a trip to the local shops once a day...then when I got home did not go out for another 4 weeks... (bloody murder)..

still wearing a cap but hope to get rid of it soon..

Cheers mate

Tim

still wearing a cap but hope to get rid of it soon..

Cheers mate

Tim

Tim, I wore a cap non stop for 13 years to hide my Nobel UK nightmare head... :o ... even to answer the door to the bloody postman! :huh: Havent worn one in about 2 months now!! B) U'll be able to burn that cap soon.

Quiff... All the best with the recovery and growth mate.... keep us posted :)