Sign in to follow this  
hammer69

Should I Use Regaine?

Hi guys iv just started the finestride the next steps obviously the regaine but im not sure about the shedding stage what if it dont stop il be even worse than i feel about my hairloss now how many people really see better results than bad?? Whats the norizal shampoo and where can i get this oh and does it matter about taking fin in four parts as its a nightmare cutting it up?? thanks H

Hi H69

Lots of questions there then! First off i cut my Finasteride with a Pill cutter into 4, works fine and can get a pill cutter from chemist. I know some folk just do half a tab every other day and that seems OK for them. I tried Regaine for a while, but could never get on with it, made my hair really greasy and flakey scalp, so haven't bothered since. I understand the foam is much better though. You can get Nizoral at most good Chemists, got my last lot at Sainsburys which was a bit cheaper. make sure you get the 2% stuff not Nizorelle (I think).

You can get Nizoral at most good Chemists, got my last lot at Sainsburys which was a bit cheaper. make sure you get the 2% stuff not Nizorelle (I think).

is nizorelle ineffective then? I didn't get the 2% stuff because it seemed too strong and mentioned side effects.

the next steps obviously the regaine but im not sure about the shedding stage what if it dont stop il be even worse than i feel about my hairloss now how many people really see better results than bad??

Hammer,

Hair shedding caused by Regaine is only temporary:

[shedding] is most likely due to minoxidil's action of shifting hairs from the resting telogen phase to the growing anagen phase (old hairs fall out as new hairs grow in their place). This temporary increase in hair shedding generally occurs two to six weeks after beginning treatment and subsides within a couple of weeks.

http://emc.medicines.org.uk/emc/assets/c/h...ocumentid=16535

In general Regaine may generate more hair growth, stop further hair loss, or it may just slow down the balding process. About a third of men get decent results. There was one small study that suggested using Regaine with finasteride was more effective than just using finasteride alone.

the next steps obviously the regaine but im not sure about the shedding stage what if it dont stop il be even worse than i feel about my hairloss now how many people really see better results than bad??

Hammer,

Hair shedding caused by Regaine is only temporary:

[shedding] is most likely due to minoxidil's action of shifting hairs from the resting telogen phase to the growing anagen phase (old hairs fall out as new hairs grow in their place). This temporary increase in hair shedding generally occurs two to six weeks after beginning treatment and subsides within a couple of weeks.

http://emc.medicines.org.uk/emc/assets/c/h...ocumentid=16535

In general Regaine may generate more hair growth, stop further hair loss, or it may just slow down the balding process. About a third of men get decent results. There was one small study that suggested using Regaine with finasteride was more effective than just using finasteride alone.

Thanks chaps very helpfull why does it say on regaines instructions not to use if you have a shaved head i thought it would be more affective no??

Thanks chaps very helpfull why does it say on regaines instructions not to use if you have a shaved head i thought it would be more affective no??

Maybe it increases the amount of systemic absorption, and the likelihood of side effects - I'm only guessing.

I'm still a little sceptical about Regaine, I've used it for quite a while but sometimes it's quite depressing when the regaine makes your hair look thinner when first applied. I get a bit depressed about it. I've recently purchased some nizoral to hopefully compliment it as well as taking fin.

Last year, I was quite happy with how my hair was after a period of it looking rubbish. My girlfriend and I split up just after Christmas and I think it knocked my confidence a bit and since then I've not been too happy with the way my hair looks. When I was with my girlfriend, I used Regaine but not as often, as I'd never take it over to her house etc. Since then I've been using it morning and night and have noticed my hair isn't as good as it was. Or maybe it's me being paranoid...

it's a tough call what to do really - should I use it say 4 times a week in conjunction with Nizoral and fin......

I just dont know!

This is my point exactly what if i start using it and it sheds without regrowing as iv heard of happening il be wounded :unsure: I think im gona keep taking the fin from doc ash and see how that goes i wana try regaine but it will really sicken me if i lose more hair and dont grow any :(

This is my point exactly what if i start using it and it sheds without regrowing as iv heard of happening il be wounded :unsure: I think im gona keep taking the fin from doc ash and see how that goes i wana try regaine but it will really sicken me if i lose more hair and dont grow any :(

Half of the battle on this journey is finding the right thing to do and feeling at ease about it. I cannot afford a regular prescription of any medication, and certainley not in the long term. However, I indulge in blood flow stimulation using brushing and massage - it may only have minimal benefits - but its just another positive step and allows me to feel some control over an otherwise incontrollable situation.

Spraying on a lotion or taking a tablet still requires confidence and not just in the short term.