Sign in to follow this  
Benny

Dramatic Increase In Hair Loss - Please Help

A bit about myself - I'm 29 and I guess I started noticing my hair thinning on top a few years ago, I went to the doctor about a year ago and he assured me I was being paranoid, It's always been in the back of my mind and at times bought me down thinking about it. The problem is the last couple of months it has started to fall out at a far more dramatic rate - I tend to have lots of hair in my hands after washing it and it is always on my clothing etc. Is this normal with male paten baldness or is it possible there could be something else? It's really taking it's toll on me and it's constantly on my mind all throught the day. I've often looked at various clinics but was always sceptical and it was only by luck that I stumbled across this site, it's great and nice to know there are other people out there going throught the same anguish as me and that I'm not on my own. I've already contacted Dr.Ashton about the meds and will get on them as soon as possible - I'm just concerned that if they are to work on me it won't be for three months or so and at the rate my hair is falling out that will be to late, can anybody advise?

I'd just like to say thanks in advance to everyone who contributes to this site, your doing an awesome job.

Ben.

Hi Ben,

My experience was similar to yours - I noticed a real increase in the rate of daily shedding about the age of 29, exactly same time that I started to become aware of a slight thinning around the crown and a receding hairline. The good news is that if you start the meds early, you stand a good chance of keeping what you've got and regrowing a little.

Don't be too concerned about the time it takes for the meds to start working. Hairs grow in repeated cycles, broken down into phases of growth and resting. These phases last months or even years - you won't go bald overnight! The rate that male pattern hair loss progresses is extremely variable, but most men take 15­-25 years to go completely bald. One study found an average rate of hair loss of about 5% per year.

Good luck with the treatments!

Thanks for the vote of confidence Pondle, will hopefully be on the meds soon and will try the shampoo and probably the foam too. Don't know if anybody else has tried this, but i'm starting a course of Hypnotherapy next week, hopefully will help me become less focused on the hair loss and if the meds don't work accept the inevitable a little more gracefully.

I agree with Pondle and if you are worried about the loss you can always use concealer until the meds take effect and you can see if they are working for you.

Was feeling confident about with everyones advice but hair shedding seems to have increased and my hair is noticably thinner (not just on top but all over) just over the course of a couple of weeks. It's not just me being paranoid as a couple of friends have commented too. I'm considering going to see a Trichologist for an opinion but as I've read most of them are basically salesmen - Can anybody reccomed one that know's what they're talking about?

Was feeling confident about with everyones advice but hair shedding seems to have increased and my hair is noticably thinner (not just on top but all over) just over the course of a couple of weeks. It's not just me being paranoid as a couple of friends have commented too. I'm considering going to see a Trichologist for an opinion but as I've read most of them are basically salesmen - Can anybody reccomed one that know's what they're talking about?

If your hair is noticeably thinner very suddenly, then you may have Alopecia Areata or some other kind of illness.

http://www.nhsdirect.nhs.uk/articles/artic...?articleid=1060

See a doctor for a professional diagnosis. If s/he concludes you just have male pattern baldness, then get in touch with Dr Ashcroft for a finasteride prescription.

Thanks for the link Pondle, your a wealth of knowledge. I've booked an appointment to see my GP although last time I saw him he seemed to think concerns about hairloss were a bit of a joke! After reading the link I wonder if there could be a chance of it being some kind of nutritional imbalance? If it is something like this and I manage to resolve the issue, does anybody know if there is any regrowth possible?

Just listen to yourself, YOUR 29 MATE!!! do you seriously not have anything else that is more important to worry about?? accept it and stop being so image conscious. There is more to life, but it just seems many guys obviously havnt experienced enough trauma to understand.

acceptance is the key.

Just listen to yourself, YOUR 29 MATE!!! do you seriously not have anything else that is more important to worry about?? accept it and stop being so image conscious. There is more to life, but it just seems many guys obviously havnt experienced enough trauma to understand.

acceptance is the key.

for some people it can seriously knock their confidence. I know it has for me. But yes, there are more serious things in life to worry about but those are for other messageboards

See a doctor for a professional diagnosis. If s/he concludes you just have male pattern baldness, then get in touch with Dr Ashcroft for a finasteride prescription.

How much does Dr ashcroft charge for a prescription of Finasteride ? :( to be so crude to ask

At the end of the day - every man has to draw a line where vanity exceeds cost

I am just so disappointed with those guys who find a solution that works and then charge money

for their discovery - they quickly forget what it was like before they found their solution.

Many Thanks

How much does Dr ashcroft charge for a prescription of Finasteride ?

£100 for a roughly 20 month supply - if you cut each pill into fifths.

How much does Dr ashcroft charge for a prescription of Finasteride ?

£100 for a roughly 20 month supply - if you cut each pill into fifths.

That's not bad - approx £5 per month - (I probably spend more on vitmains and lotions to find a cure)

But what it's worth asking is its £5 a month for life! - or until I decide to let nature have its way

I want to believe there is a cost free routine that will have a reasonable effect on hair loss prevention

cos if you are 30 years old and start using Finasteride (assuming Dr Ashcroft will offer same service in definately) - the cost till I am 60 is £1800 not allowing for price changes.

Which is better than Regain which will cost £12,500 for the same period. :o

We should definately pool any info that may lead to a cost free remedy

Lets face it - we are more motivated than any scientist who can wait

I want to believe there is a cost free routine that will have a reasonable effect on hair loss prevention cos if you are 30 years old and start using Finasteride (assuming Dr Ashcroft will offer same service in definately) - the cost till I am 60 is £1800 not allowing for price changes. Which is better than Regain which will cost £12,500 for the same period. :o

We should definately pool any info that may lead to a cost free remedy Lets face it - we are more motivated than any scientist who can wait

A cost free remedy? Ain't nothin' in this world for free son! It's a nice dream... :lol:

Pharmaceutical development is HUGELY expensive. Drug R&D requires expensive facilities, expensive scientists and expensive - and mandatory - testing. That's before we start production and marketing. The cost of bringing a new drug to market has been estimated at between $500m and $2 billion. Then in a few years, your patent expires and prices collapse! So drugs firms have to continually bring new products to market to replace lost revenues, or they go under.