s.a.f

Generic From Dr Ashcroft

I previously got Proscar from Dr Ashcroft, but he now says that a generic brand is also available at a cheaper price. Has anybody tried it, whats the difference?

I previously got Proscar from Dr Ashcroft, but he now says that a generic brand is also available at a cheaper price. Has anybody tried it, whats the difference?

I haven't tried it, but I can guarantee you that there will be no difference. The MHRA (UK drug regulator) has approved various types of generic finasteride since the expiry of the Merck Proscar patent. Here's an example - http://www.mhra.gov.uk/home/groups/l-unit1...s/con013876.pdf

Finasteride 5 mg Film-coated Tablets is considered a generic of the reference medicinal product, Proscar, as it satisfies the criteria of having the same qualitative and quantitative composition in terms of active ingredients, the same pharmaceutical form and is considered bioequivalent to the reference medicinal product.

SAF i used generic fin and dut from in house for years with no problems,in fact still on them,you can get finpecia which is 5 mg from in house for about £50-60 for 12 months supply.

I just started taking generic Finasteride - it was only £100.

Dr. Ashcroft said there was no point asking for my GP to prescribe it as it's been blacklisted by the NHS, which made me :blink: but he assured me it would be fine to take

Don't get scared by the 'blacklist'. It simply refers to drugs that the NHS cannot prescribe. Propecia certainly cannot be prescribed by the NHS as it is a cosmetic treatment. It is listed in the blacklist under its generic name (finasteride 1mg).

http://www.ppa.org.uk/edt/May_2008_version2/mindex.htm (see part XVIIIA)

But there should be no problem with finasteride 5mg (i.e. copies of Proscar). Proscar is not a cosmetic treatment, it is licensed for benign prostatic hyperplasia. The Proscar patent has expired and the NHS prefers to use cheaper generics when possible - it saves the taxpayer money!

http://www.psnc.org.uk/data/files/publicat...supp_2007_4.pdf

but could an NHS GP be persuaded to prescribe generic Finasteride 5mg to you for MPB if you made your case that it was affecting your life, or would that be unethical for them to do so?

but could an NHS GP be persuaded to prescribe generic Finasteride 5mg to you for MPB if you made your case that it was affecting your life, or would that be unethical for them to do so?

Private prescription - yes. But then you pay for the cost of the drugs.

NHS prescription - no. "If a [blacklisted drug] prescription is dispensed then the Prescription Pricing Division of the NHS Business Service Authority (NHS BSA PPD) will refuse to refund the cost to the dispensing pharmacy."

Yes they could and they do!

I have been getting it on prescription from my GP for over 2 years. Just let them know how much it affects you and don't take no for an answer.

People on here think they are getting a great bargain when ordering from the mysterious Dr. Ashcroft. What I don't understand is why he isn't suggesting they ask their own GP to prescribe it. Finasteride costs me just £54 per year! I'm sure I'm not the only one who is entitled to this. The NHS fund some womens boob jobs so they can damn well prescribe the odd pack of fin.

Hi Saf

How much cheaper is the generic costing now.

Hi Longpig

When i consulted with my own GP he didn`t have a clue and chased me out the door.I had a phone consultation with Dr Ashcroft who i checked out and he went through everything and asked if i had tried my own GP.

Remember its a postcode lottery and some people are refused cancer treatment drugs depending on where they live.

Yes they could and they do!

I have been getting it on prescription from my GP for over 2 years. Just let them know how much it affects you and don't take no for an answer.

People on here think they are getting a great bargain when ordering from the mysterious Dr. Ashcroft. What I don't understand is why he isn't suggesting they ask their own GP to prescribe it. Finasteride costs me just £54 per year! I'm sure I'm not the only one who is entitled to this. The NHS fund some womens boob jobs so they can damn well prescribe the odd pack of fin.

do you mean you've been getting Finasteride 5mg or Propecia from your GP? Is it a private prescription or NHS?

If it was Propecia then it might be worth me trying I guess, but £54 per year for generic Fin isn't that much cheaper than what I pay Dr. Ashcroft - £100 for about 20 months.

Anyway, I've got a while before I need a new supply. What about attempting to get a transplant on the NHS? (fingers crossed you won't need one though B) )

Bigmac,

You're right, GPs seem to have a real blindspot when it comes to hair loss. And it is understandable to a point. When I'm in there telling him how hair loss is ruining my life he may have 10 minutes ago had to tell someone they had cancer.

I think the reason I was prescribed it was by telling him if he didn't, he'd better book me in for a long session of counselling to overcome the problem instead! He perhaps thought fin was the cheaper option. Sometimes you've really gotta lay it on thick!

Congrats on your HT by the way, hope you're healing up well.

joe101

It's the finasteride 5mg tablets that I get (half a tablet every other day), and there is no difference whether you take it this way or via a daily propecia tablet. It's a private prescription and costs £18 for a four month supply.

there's not really much in it money-wise - Dr. Ashcroft seems as good a route as a GP. Incidentally, I went to see my GP today and told her I had started taking Fin - she was fine with it and seemed to be aware that quite a lot of people take it.

I think the reason I was prescribed it was by telling him if he didn't, he'd better book me in for a long session of counselling to overcome the problem instead! He perhaps thought fin was the cheaper option. Sometimes you've really gotta lay it on thick!

It can be pot luck with doctors, but NHS docs really shouldn't always be looking for the cheaper option - the patient's welfare should come first regardless of the cost - what do we pay our taxes for?

I wonder if it's possible to change GPs if you aren't satisified?

It's the finasteride 5mg tablets that I get (half a tablet every other day), and there is no difference whether you take it this way or via a daily propecia tablet. It's a private prescription and costs £18 for a four month supply.

£54 per year is a fantastic deal. I've got no complaints about Dr A. though - he's helpful, a totally kosher doc (you can look him up in the GMC register), and he provides a quick service.

I got mine today, £100 for 4pks which will last me over 20months. Dr Ashcroft gives you a letter to give to your GP (if you want ;) ).

Personally I would'nt want to have to go and have a consult face to face with my Dr (a young woman who I've never met yet). Dont know how much it costs Dr Ashcroft but if he's taking a tenner commission for his troubles from that £100 thats fine by me. :D

So one way or another, we can all get finasteride at a really cheap rate, and don't need to run the risk of ordering over the net from some potentially dodgy fly-by-night scam merchants. :)

Joe..

You can change GP's... I did this today.. as I am bored out of my head during my down time I have made a very long list of "to do's"... this was one of them... my old GP was a complete miserable git and never listerned.. not that I have seen him for about 5 years... yep.. that is how bored I am !!!

Best check with local surgerys first that they can accomodate you etc.. then change..

As to Proscar etc... I got mine from Dr Ashcroft... and very reasonable... to be honest I would have paid more just for the fact it comes from such a reliable and recommended source...

TimuK

Tim

I've had GPs like that in the past - ones who I wasn't very satisfied with and didn't really listen. Thankfully my current GP is pretty good.

Is it relatively easy to switch surgerys on the NHS or do they give you a lot of grief? Hope the new doc is better for you.