Sign in to follow this  
longpig

Nightmare In The Pharmacy

Had a very embarassing moment in Superdrug yesterday. I went in to pick up my finasteride. The chemist looked at my prescription, walked round the back to where they prepare it, then a minute later came back looking puzzled. He then said in a voice loud enough for everyone nearby to hear: "You're taking this for hairloss are you?"

It was one of those moments when you want to be anywhere else. I just tried to act normally and answer his question but I was fuming inside. I couldn't believe the lack of discretion. You don't ask a bloke buying condoms if he's going to use them to shag his girlfriend with do you?!

I presume he was puzzled by the instructions on the prescription to take half a tablet every two days but he could have been more discreet.

Wondered if anyone else has had a similar experience?

Longpig,

I would write to them and complain, lots of people have medical conditions that they do not wish the world to know about and this should be kept private... these people should know better.. and you may prevent some other poor sod being put on the spot like you..

I am a typical Brit and dont complain about many things but I think you should.

TimuK

Tim,

I would normally complain, but the chemist was foreign, clearly not very experienced and apparently just a locum. The more I think about it the more I feel he just wanted to make sure I knew what I was getting. But there are more tactful ways of dealing with it and I won't be going there again.

Hi Longpig...

so, guess there is not much point in complaining. I did post a reply to you on another thread, have you not thought about getting proscar from Spex's Doctor Ashcroft, same med and £120 a year, you can get a years supply via post and no need to visit a chemist every month ?

Cheers

TimuK

Compared to some of the stuff they have to deal with on an everyday basis the chemist probably did'nt think that was anything to be embarassed about, but he definatley should have been more descreet. Dr's receptionists are also as subtle. <_<

I was given Propecia by my GP back in 2002 when it was first licenced in the UK. - the pharmacist looked puzzlingly at the prescription and asked me, in front of a full shop, what it was for. I went bright red and sort of pointed at my head; I felt such a c*nt. I was fuming that he was so indiscreet.

My GP now prescribes Proscar. I went to see him the other day for a blood test but had to see a different doctor. He looked through my records and was quizzing me why my GP had given me Proscar, and to be honest didn't look very impressed. To be fair though he did have a full head of hair so probably thought I was a time wasting pr*ck.

Beardy,

I went pretty red when it happened. It wouldn't have been so bad if he'd asked me at the same time as he gave me the tablets and I could have legged it straight out, but he then went back for another couple of minutes to complete the order - longest two minutes of my life :angry:

As for doctors... don't get me started. In my experience when you mention hairloss to them they look at you like you're a different lifeform to them. One classic comment a doctor made that has always stuck with me from back when I was about eighteen was: "Just look at it as something that you can't do anything about...a problem that you can do nothing about is no longer a problem!"

Cheers for that doc! I see why you get paid so much now!

It's like everything in life.... if you do not suffer from it then it's not a problem.. Like these people who get invlolved in charity work only after they or a close friend / relative suffer from the associtated illness, I am not knocking them and do admire anyone that puts effort in helping others...but it's the way of the world.

A comment I got from a friend when I said I was "down" about my hairloss was "it's not life threatening", she was right, you are not going to die from hairloss....Unless someone gets so depressed they kill themselves) but it IS and CAN be "life" altering in a very negative way.

I admire anyone who just shaves down and gets on with their life, hats off to them... but some of us cant do this.

I still think that people accepting us guys wanting to do something about hairloss is a long way off, no-one said a negative thing to me when I had some cosmetic dentistry, everyone thought it was great... but with my HT.... different story...

Will end my rant here... life goes on, hair falls out and tomorrows another day...

Cheers

TimuK

I was given Propecia by my GP back in 2002 when it was first licenced in the UK. - the pharmacist looked puzzlingly at the prescription and asked me, in front of a full shop, what it was for. I went bright red and sort of pointed at my head; I felt such a c*nt. I was fuming that he was so indiscreet.

You should have told him to mind his own f##king business! surely the reason your doctor has prescribed you a drug is confidential between you and your dr.

Great way with words as always Haggis but i totally agree with you.