Sign in to follow this  
sure

Propecia And Sex(direct Contact)

I am planning to start taking propecia in a few days and I am getting married in a few months.

Can I have direct contact with my wife without having condoms while on propecia?

The warning in propecia says that pregnant women should not get in contact with propecia.

What does this mean?

Thanks for the response

It is absolutely fine!!!! It is only unsafe for a pregnant women to touch the powder form of propecia or ingest it.

You and your future wife are at NO risk whilst you are on propecia/proscar.

Thanks a ton Specs for your reply.

My doctor asked me to stop having propecia three months before I am planning for a child. If direct contact while on propecia is not a problem why did he ask me to do so? My fiancee is not allowing me to take propecia because of that.

Please advise.

There is only a theoretical possibility that it can. The probability is close to nil and there has not been a single case report of a birth defect due to taking finasteride. The association of a lack of DHT and birth defects is that a woman who has a congenital severe deficiency of 5 a-reductase can give birth to a male child with abnormalities of his urinary tract and be born as a pseudohermaphrodite. It has not been demonstrated to be caused by taking finasteride either by the father or the mother. There have been many patients, whose wives have conceived while the father was taking finasteride without any reports of birth defects or any other complications. I have never heard of one case in actual fact and propecia has been used now for over 15yrs to prevent hairloss - if there had been any cases assossiated to propecia and birth defects i think we would have heard.

For peace of mind you could cease to take propecia on the lead up to conception - but for what its worth i don't intend to.

Regards

specs

Thanks Specs. That gave me a lot of insight. I will start taking propecia from tomorrow.

Specs, Should I avoid taking propecia before my wife conceives or after she conceives(and is pregnant)?

Is 3 months enough?

until she concieves - once she is pregnant then you can start on the propecia