spex

Tim Uk

Post by TimUK:

My trip,

All started on Saturday 5th April, stayed at a hotel at Stanstead Airport as my flight meant I had to get there early, I would recommend this to anyone if you are planning a longer stay in the USA. The hotel charge about £10 more for a room and up to 15 days parking than just parking for 2 weeks. Flew out on Sunday morning, flight was good and arrived at JFK around 1.30pm local time. For any other guys that smoke, I was dreading a 7 hour flight but a friend told me to try a nicotine patch, worked very well.

I have read several comments on being ripped off by Taxis, I had pre-booked mine with the Andrew Hotel, there was some confusion and I ended up waiting for about half an hour, Taxi charge was $43 plus the few dollar tip I gave the driver (great guy and I could write forever about our journey). Some guys on here have mentioned paying as much as $100, so make sure you call them, they will give you a phone number to call when you arrive.

Plenty of write ups here about the Andrew, so will not go into detail, nice and clean place, friendly, fell in love with one blonde receptionist….dream on !! Since starting to write this I have only one moan about the hotel, the room service, cant say that I have liked anything that much, but then again I am a fussy eater and even though I now feel ok I do not feel that hungry...

Spent Monday shopping, wanted to make sure I had plenty of supplies to last a few days in case I wanted to hide away. I bought some coffee / sugar and bottled water, you can get from room service but will cost a small fortune. am now looking at a fancy bottle of still water with a price tag of $5.50, and you will be surprised how many of those you could get through.. remember plenty of fluids..

Had a wander around Great Neck, REMEMBER.. DONT use the Green Cross Code here, I nearly got run over on my first road crossing ! Decided to do a trial run to Doctor Feller’s office on Monday evening, I could not find the map that someone posted on here so I used Multimap, my route took me along the main roads and took about half an hour, made me realise how unfit I am. Still, it made me tired and I had no problems sleeping Monday night.

Having seen the many posts on here from Spex about the importance of being on time, better still early, for your appointment I was so paranoid that I set two alarms and booked an alarm call…

So, had a light breakfast and then set off before 7. Arrived at the clinic early and waited around for about 20 minutes, during this time I will admit that I started to have second thoughts and even worked out that I could even have time to be on a plane home within a few hours.. honest ! I suppose this was mainly down to a sudden flashback to my Uk transplants and the pain and healing time.. but just as I was trying to tell myself the reason I was here was to “be fixed” Dr Feller arrived.

I have read how he puts people at ease and within 10 minutes all thoughts of “running away” had vanished.

Dr Feller is a really nice guy, I think his confidence about what he does somehow wins you over. He drew on my forehead, told me the plan and we started. I had decided not to make my mind up about FUE or strip until I met Dr Feller, FUE did not even come into the equation, so strip it was.

The worst bit as mentioned by many is the injections, but as soon as they start they are over, I found that it was worse in the top of my head but its all over very quickly.

The strips were taken, no pain just a funny crunching sound, nothing bad, then the staples put in. Then the dreaded injections into the recipient area, not pleasant but not terrible. Dr Feller then went to work on making the slits in the recipient area, again no pain just a strange sensation. Soon after two of his lovely technicians started to place my grafts. Then a short break for lunch after which another two technicians continued with the graft placement. Ended up with Dr Feller returning to make some more slit as there were some grafts left over. Then I was bandaged up, some photos were taken. It was at this point that we found out that the baseball caps I had got did not fit unless the back strap was left undone, so I was covered but paranoid about it blowing off. A taxi was called for me and before I knew it I was back to the “safety” of my hotel room. I had been paranoid about walking into the hotel reception, but should not have worried as the doorman’s only comment was that he hoped that I had had a good day, the receptionist just smiled and that was that.

Its strange as I feel that the day went very quickly, I was not the nervous wreck I thought I would be and all went better than expected. The strange thing was how tired I was, felt like I had run a marathon and yet all I had done was sit in a chair.

I think that the worse part was the night of the surgery, I did not feel very well and actually threw up, felt better afterwards but probably only slept for about an hour. I suppose I was not expecting a good night. Its now Friday, 3 days post op and I am feeling better and better. Problems with the baseball caps again, there is a vent at the back that is just in the right place to see the staples, so I have resorted to a light bandage for going out with the cap on top. One essential item I forgot and ended up going to buy is a small mirror, the hotel mirrors do not move so to check the back of my head I had to take photos, with the cap problem this ended up being a nightmare, so the mirror has saved me ages in getting ready each day.

So, that’s about it folks, like many of you know I have decided to stay in New York until April 19th, main reasons for this were that I could not think of a better place to hide away than thousands of miles from home and also so that I could have the staples removed by Doctor Feller before my return to the Uk. I do know that it adds to the cost of all this but I think its worth it, but each to their own.

A couple of last comments just to bore you all to death.. plenty of shops nearby that sell anything you could need, people I have spoken to outside of the hotel all thought I was Australian, must be that kangaroo I have with me

Will update on my progress, did post a couple of pictures a couple of days ago, I have asked Spex if Doctor Feller will post some of his photos but will take awhile as they are all very busy. Will have another attempt with my photos soon.

Cheers everyone

Have a great day !!

PS. I know its on here somewhere and have read about this, but can someone confirm when its ok to start the following post op.

1) MSM

2) Aloevera

3) Witchhazel

4) Regaine

5) Anything else I have forgotten

6) Proscar

Cheers again

Tim

--------------------

Crap Uk HT in June 1992. Number of grafts , god only knows !!

Strip of approx 2500 with Doctor Feller 8th April 08

Proscar - 1/5 of tablet per day. 2000 MSM per day.

Nizoral Shampoo twice a week

Hi all,

well, now on the 4th day post op. Last night was the best nights sleep I have had since the op. Feel so much better. The recipient area is still numb, have been inspecting it like crazy and I have to say I am impressed with the condition, obviously still red and a little scabby but from memories of my Uk transplant this work is 1000% better. The staples are begining to get annoying, itching and feel tight, roll on next Friday, cant wait to give the back of my head a good scrub...

As for another of my previous concerns, swelling, I did have some on my forehead which has now dropped down to my eyes but nothing terrible and is well on its way out. Doctor Feller had mentioned that I had a big head and forehead so this would help disguise any swelling, first time having a big head has helped me !

So, all in all I would not say its been the most pleasant experience in my life (better than my Uk butchering) but also I think that I had "over worried" about the whole thing and has been a much better experience than I expected.

So far I am 100% happy with my choice of coming to the USA and having my HT repair with Dr Feller, to be honest with you all the week before I came I was so close to cancelling the whole trip due to those Pre-Op nerves, all those worries about travelling etc etc... but I can say with hand on heart that I am so glad I didn't.

Anyway, thought I would post a link here for anyone who wants to finds out more about what got me to this stage... mostly with the help of the great guys on here..

http://stophairlossnow.ipbhost.com/index.php?showtopic=3269

Cheers Guys

Tim

Great to hear from you Tim

Glad you`ve had a great experience and enjoying yout time in New York.

All that worrying for nothing :)

I`m looking forward to your pictures as well.

Heal and grow well mate.

Cheers Bri.

Hi Badhair..

yes, the next two months are going to be the worst !

as with everyone, I had my head shaved down, what hair I had left at the front and also the old grafts should be back to an ok length by the end of the dreaded 2 months.. not sure about shock loss I may suffer with the hair I had left in my hairline as I have read that "us" diffusers can suffer worse than guys who are receeding... never mind... :(

Cheers

Tim

Good man. I was in just a few weeks before you, still haven't got round to doing the write up, blame my workload/boss. <_< .

glad it went ok. I know from previous threads you were anxious about it mate, so well done. It's really not as bad as everyone says, eh?.

Good flight home mate.

Cheers Guys..

Back at the Andrew now, have realised how much I enjoy being lazy and just chilling, have not done this for years... think boredom factor may kick in soon... only complaint is the staples hurt and I bloody itch.... never mind.

Have managed to take some more photos.. 1st pic is just after I took the bandage off next day after op (looks like a scene from Frankenstein), next 3 are today. 5th day after op.

Timuk

post-1950-1208125238_thumb.jpg

post-1950-1208125281_thumb.jpg

post-1950-1208125320_thumb.jpg

post-1950-1208125373_thumb.jpg

Looking good Tim and once you get those staples out you`ll be feeling great.

Thanks for the pictures.

Bri.

Cheers Bigmac...

These bloody staples are driving me mad :blink: so difficult to sleep, was going to get up early today and go exploring... too tired and only woke up at midday !

Never mind, its all in a good cause :)

Cheers Bigmac...

These bloody staples are driving me mad :blink: so difficult to sleep, was going to get up early today and go exploring... too tired and only woke up at midday !

Never mind, its all in a good cause :)

Well done Tim....nice clear pics.

Are you using a travel cushion to sleep at 45 deg? I felt like my head was floating on air with that... never had any uncomfort using the cushion and even used it in the bath and had a sleep in there for a few hrs.

Just something that I found very helpful even for the flight home :)

Hi BhUK

Yes mate, got an inflatable travel pillow, does help a little but cant seem to find a good position with it, also something I forgot as have not suffered for ages is that I have a long suffering problem with some damaged I did to my neck (a drunken sleigh accident in Lithuiania 5 years ago, long story), if I sleep in a certain position it plays up, see a phyiso every 6 months that keeps it under control, but forgot to visit him before I left... and guess what.. the only position that does not give me agro with the staples starts the old neck problem going.....

Never mind, only 3 nights left to go.

Cheers

Tim

Hi BhUK

Yes mate, got an inflatable travel pillow, does help a little but cant seem to find a good position with it, also something I forgot as have not suffered for ages is that I have a long suffering problem with some damaged I did to my neck (a drunken sleigh accident in Lithuiania 5 years ago, long story), if I sleep in a certain position it plays up, see a phyiso every 6 months that keeps it under control, but forgot to visit him before I left... and guess what.. the only position that does not give me agro with the staples starts the old neck problem going.....

Never mind, only 3 nights left to go.

Cheers

Tim

Sorry to hear about the neck giving you grief... those travel pillows are all slightly different.. I remember that I had 2 and one of them wasnt as comfortable.. I had one for using in the bath..lol..and one for sleeping at night. One of them when u lent u'r head back on it the sides came around and crushed your neck :huh:

This might sound strange.. but try rolling up a soft towl.. like this..

IPB Image

and that will give you the 45 deg angle... and just rest u'r neck on that (so the back of you head isnt touching anything as the towl is on your neck) this is quite a bit more comfortable than having your head against the pillow. Give it a try... be worth a go.

;)

Cheers Bh,

will have a go at the towel thing, too be honest I did not even take the travel pillow out of the pack until the first night I needed it... was an ebay thing and looks like its not even worth the £2 I paid for it.. we live and learn <_<

TimuK

Hi all..

just thought I would pop a day 8 photo on here... still looks a bit scabby... but I think thats me being very careful when washing.. would love to give my head a good scrub and get rid of the scabs... but a little wary..

count down to staple removal now 2 days..

BHUK... the towel thing worked very well last night.. best nights sleep so far, did also take half of one of Doctor Fellers pain killers and a couple of beers... so guess this may have helped also..

Cheers Guys

TimuK

post-1950-1208368155_thumb.jpg

tim

just keep washing it gently with warm water like in the docs instructions and you'll be fine bud , I know what you mean about them scabs , the little fuckers hahahahhaa

richie

Looking good mate

Not many scabs left and you`ll soon have those staples out.

Bri

Hi all..

just thought I would pop a day 8 photo on here... still looks a bit scabby... but I think thats me being very careful when washing.. would love to give my head a good scrub and get rid of the scabs... but a little wary..

count down to staple removal now 2 days..

BHUK... the towel thing worked very well last night.. best nights sleep so far, did also take half of one of Doctor Fellers pain killers and a couple of beers... so guess this may have helped also..

Cheers Guys

TimuK

Good to hear it felt more comfortable.. B) I think around day 3 you can start washing a little more firmly with your finger tips....so u'r super safe to be a bit firmer now with those scabs (and also just as important to keep the donor area clean when washing/shampooing) heal well mate :)

Tim,

Congrats on your HT. Looking good. I'm just wondering about your donor area as it appears quite thin in the first pic. Did the doc comment on this as regards no. of grafts remaining for future HTs ?

Cheers.

Hi Longpig,

Cheers, just 9 days post op now and things going well (I think). Yes donor area does seem thin in that photo, I must admit when I looked at the photo I freaked myself... but there are several reasons. I have very fine hair and the back has never been that thick and always has looked thin until I wash it, seems to "fluff up", also quite a bit missing that has been shaved down to extract the strip, I also had an HT 14 years ago in the Uk which did thin the back out a bit. As to future work, I am not sure, I think I have some donor left but I do not intend to have anything else done, my goal was to just soften my hairline to disguise my existing plugs, I think that the work Doctor Feller has done will achieve this. I am not bothered about being thin or going bald on my crown, I just want to be able to have a short haircut that looks natural. I am also in my 40's and my hairloss does not seem to have got any worse over the last few years, I have also started Proscar this year... so... who knows...

Cheers

TimuK

Hi Tim,

You and me are in the same boat, having both had HTs in the nineties (I had two). Hope you achieve your goals with this one.

I've been on proscar for three years. I've been tempted so many times to knock it on the head, thinking it's doing no good. But recently I compared pics from a couple of years ago with recent ones and was amazed to see no worsening in my crown loss. So make sure you give it a good period of time to assess it's effectiveness.

Hi Longpig,

yep, the plan is to try long term, maybe 3 years..

Also, I just read about your chemist experience.... just a thought, do you not want to try proscar via Spex's Doctor Ashcroft, same stuff as Propecia and only £120 a year..

Cheers

TimuK

Hi Longpig,

Also, I just read about your chemist experience.... just a thought, do you not want to try proscar via Spex's Doctor Ashcroft, same stuff as Propecia and only £120 a year..

TimuK

Tim,

I actually get my finasteride for £54 per year. I just made sure my doc realised how much hair loss affects me and she gave me a private prescription. I've not cost the NHS more than the price of a couple of plasters in my time so that's the least they can do...there's a thought, I might lay it on thick and see if they fancy stumping up for my next HT :D

Hi Longpig,

sorry mate, just posted the same info about Dr Ashcroft on your Chemist thread..

good for you, the more that us tax payers can claw back the better... I could rant on about politics but will not, there are plenty of other forums and its not for this one....

Cheers

TimuK

Hi Guys..

wow... I had a good nights sleep... staples not coming out until tomorrow but found a wonderful way to sleep... bought something called "TYLENOL PM", its an extra strength painkiller similar to our Nurofen but also includes a sleep aid "Diphenhydramine".. a couple of those and a beer... wow.. fell asleep watching TV and woke up feeling wonderful..

not going to praise a combination of drugs and alcohol as I do not think that under normal circumstances its a good idea... but for a good nights sleep with these staples it was wonderful..

TimuK

THE STAPLES ARE OUT !!!!!

Heaven..... just back from Doctor Fellers.... forgot to ask how many...

all I will say is that it was nearly painless... just a little uncomfortable... the paroxide stung a little but nothing to worry about...

I am looing forward to a nice nights sleep.....

Cheers

TimuK

I actually get my finasteride for £54 per year. I just made sure my doc realised how much hair loss affects me and she gave me a private prescription. I've not cost the NHS more than the price of a couple of plasters in my time so that's the least they can do...there's a thought, I might lay it on thick and see if they fancy stumping up for my next HT :D

good for you. We pay enough for the NHS, so might as well get something back. I might try asking my GP the same thing when my curent supply of F runs out.

Hi Guys..

Back in the Uk now... very good flight, that free upgrade to business class was great, also the plane was only half full, so empty seats all around me,attendant told me that this is usual for their late Saturday flight from JFK to Stanstead.

Did chicken out a little and wrap a light bandaged around my head under the baseball cap, lucky in one way as I was asked to remove my cap and place it in the tray for the x-ray etc.. but in all honesty everything happend so quick that it would not have been a problem even without the bandage..

Overall, a great experience from start to finish, cannot believe how quick the last 2 weeks have gone... just the long, long wait now.

TimuK