Sign in to follow this  
uk_need_info

11days Post Op 2557 Grafts Dr Feller

Hello all, I'm now 11 days post op; the staples came out yesterday and the recipient area has recovered brilliantly - no pain whatsover anywhere

The hair was buzzed down to a grade 4 (12mm) all over 3 weeks ago, 1 week before the op.

I have two weeks, as of yesterday, until I return to work and the dilema now is what to do; I feel I have substantial shockloss below the donor on both sides; the original intention was to shave back down to grade 4, now the staples are out, and use a concealer where necessary. The hair is currently about an inch long but as you can see from the pics does not cover the donor strip.

Would welcome opinions on peoples thoughts, regarding whether to shave or to keep, also bearing in mind the 'friar tuck - monk look' and people thoughts on any products other than Couvre to use for concealing.

Hi Mate - shock is common unfortunately - nothing can be done to avoid it.

I would make the call whether or not to buzz it in 2 wekks not yet - wai and see where you are at then mate :)

I think you'll have to buzz it because the contrast between the crown and the rest is too obvious. Try a spray type concealer like 'mane' on the scar.

I think you'll have to buzz it because the contrast between the crown and the rest is too obvious. Try a spray type concealer like 'mane' on the scar.

Thanks - I agree I think at the moment there's too much contrast in two areas

1 - on the crown to the top

2 - from the shock (which is expected) to the hair above and below - it makes the 'overhang' as such stick out and exagerate the 'shock'

do you feel a spray on concealer is better than the 'boot polish' approach of Couvre and where is Mane purchased from?

2 - from the shock (which is expected) to the hair above and below - it makes the 'overhang' as such stick out and exagerate the 'shock'

do you feel a spray on concealer is better than the 'boot polish' approach of Couvre and where is Mane purchased from?

I came up with a little trick that helped me with this... I too had shock loss very similar. I always cut my own hair... and have a buzzer... (shaving razor thing) I shaved all the hair under the scar very low.. grade 1... this meant the shock loss area didnt stand out... then I left 1" above the scar to grow 1" in length to cover the scar/shock... and then shaved down the rest to a grade 1 on top.. this sounds strange but it did work to cover the shock area.

Here...look at this old pic I took of mine... I am holding up the 1" hair I let grow over the scar to show you.... it isnt easy to see the extra bit I let grow above the scar unless I was holding this up. I had previous scarring from Nobel there too... EVERYTHING above and below those green lines are shaved to grade 1.

IPB Image

I came up with a little trick that helped me with this... I too had shock loss very similar. I always cut my own hair... and have a buzzer... (shaving razor thing) I shaved all the hair under the scar very low.. grade 1... this meant the shock loss area didnt stand out... then I left 1" above the scar to grow 1" in length to cover the scar/shock... and then shaved down the rest to a grade 1 on top.. this sounds strange but it did work to cover the shock area.

Here...look at this old pic I took of mine... I am holding up the 1" hair I let grow over the scar to show you.... it isnt easy to see the extra bit I let grow above the scar unless I was holding this up. I had previous scarring from Nobel there too... EVERYTHING above and below those green lines are shaved to grade 1.

IPB Image

Thanks BairHairUK, did you do that manage to do that yourself even though the strip line isn't kind of in a horizontal line?

The pic you have posted, how many days post op is that? - It looks very effective

Do you have any additional pics?

IPB Image

Thanks BairHairUK, did you do that manage to do that yourself even though the strip line isn't kind of in a horizontal line?

The pic you have posted, how many days post op is that? - It looks very effective

Do you have any additional pics?

Yes, I did it myself... I have had a lot of time to perfect the art of the mirror behind the head and doing the oppersite to what ever you see in the reflection! lol.. i just went really slowly and took my time.. yes it was at an angle so you angle the cutters the same to match that direction/angle.

I dont want to worry you mate... but I had shock loss past 7 months.. I am extremely slow with my recovery ..even my strip scar was still very pink at that stage. But this is helpful to you, as I can show you how I managed to conseal it.

I will say tho... I'm not sure shaving the recipient is a good idea early on... my 2nd HT I let it grow and didnt touch it at all right up until 5 months (now) and even then it was just a small trim off the ends.

But here is a pciture of mine shaved after 7 months (post 1st HT)... and using the 1" hair over the strip.

IPB Image