Sign in to follow this  
boristheburglar1983

Finally Accepting It - How Did You Feel?

I have been to the doctors and he has prescribed me Propecia, which I have been on for about a week now. But I am still going to shave it anyway now and keep it short for 6 months, and then grow it just to see if it has worked and if it hasn't then I will stop taking it.

My question is, how did you all feel when you finally realised there was nothing that you could do.

Did you feel sad, angry, relieved?

Is it normal to have a loss in self-confidence, or did it make you feel better about yourself?

I feel a little upset but at the same time glad that I can go to a grade 2 all over and then stop worrying about it.

I know some people will have some light hearted banter with me about it (probably the other guys in the same situation).

I also know that there is one person at work who is going to be a right dick about it and I can't really say anything to him because he is much higher up than me.

Oh well, think of the money I will save on Shampoo.

What do you mean by see if it has 'worked'? If you're expecting to regrow a significant amount of hair then you will be dissapointed. If you manage to maintain what you have then it will have worked.

If you shave it off then you can probably expect a bit of stick for a few days but people will soon get used to the new look.

Unfortunatley getting the occasional comment from some dickhead is part of the package of being a bald/balding man. <_< You just have to learn to deal with it, ie dont rise to the bait and lose your cool. Just try and comeback with a sarcastic putdown of your own eg "Your wife/mother did'nt seem to mind it last night". B)

boris,

saf if right in all he said. But I am a little confused as to your plan. How would you know if your meds have worked, they could have stopped your hair loss. MPB is a bastard, all I know is that I would not be bothering with an HT if it had not been for the UK botch I had years ago, I am going to see Doctor Feller, not for a full head of hair but to try and make it look natural, thin but natural so I can cut it short and not have the look of a dolls head...

I am no expert on propecia but think a year is better for a trial, you can then see if you have grown more, stabalized or lost more.

Its all about how you feel and how you take the odd comment, look around and see how many guys are bald / thinning, loads.. I have mates with all stages of hair loss and none of their lives have come to an end.

I will say good luck with your trial and I do admire your attitude. As to the guy at work, I will say the main reason for my HT years ago was because of a couple of pricks I worked with and what they would say and how much they would pake the piss if I went bald, if only I had had more confidence in myslef I would have thought "f**k them". You do not know what skeletons they have in their past, since my Uk HT 14 years ago the two guys I mentioned have not been lucky, one lost a leg in a motorbike accident and the other is living alone on DSS benefits after not being able to handle his wife leaving him and has turned into an alcoholic. Saw him the other day, not only balding but stinking of piss... ha bloody ha..

Anyway, good luck mate.

Tim

I dunno I might trade being an alcoholic for a full head of hair, my ex is alcohlic and sits on her arse all day and gets everything paid for.. never heard of inland revenue, bloody easy life if you ask me :)

Hi Bigmac.... :P maybe I get my evil streak from my greatgrandfather... the rumour is that he was thrown out of the Gestapo for excessive cruelty !! :)

Its just life seem very unfair, it always seems that the "pricks and arseholes" end up on top all the time whereas the "good guys and underdogs" end up shafted... but this was just a case of a couple of dickheads ending up with their just deserts....

Dizzyman.

I have a female friend who is a registered alcoholic, she has all kinds of benefits, a very nice flat and also has been on more "get back to life through art etc" courses than any of us have had hot dinners... and I am sure that she thinks the Inland Revenue is a Noel Edmonds Party Game ! And still has the cheek to say that life is shit, still gets pissed and blames it on stress.... Going to stop there as I will start to get all political....

Here ends my lastest rant !!!

:D

I dunno I might trade being an alcoholic for a full head of hair, my ex is alcohlic and sits on her arse all day and gets everything paid for.. never heard of inland revenue, bloody easy life if you ask me :)

Hey, you could be describing the royal family there! At least Prince Wills can afford a treatment programme/transplant/whatever he decides to do... :rolleyes: (I'm not bitter, honest :P)

re: the thread topic - I became very depressed, as I have low self-confidence as it is, but I'm beginning to accept it and hope that there's something I can do.

I know short hair suits some people but I don't think it does me, which is why I've always gone for longish haircuts. I don't like the shape of my head very much.

Its all about how you feel and how you take the odd comment, look around and see how many guys are bald / thinning, loads.. I have mates with all stages of hair loss and none of their lives have come to an end.

I get upset when people make comments about me, but I think a lot of people (men) are always worried that it might happen to them sooner or later, so think twice before pointing it out

The main thing is how it effects you "the individual", hair loss bothers us, we would not be on this forum if it did not. You can console yourself by thinking about the millions of other things people suffer from that would make hairloss seem unimportant, ie. I know that I would rather be bald (Uk HT Bald, which is worse) than in a wheelchair or living in poverty in a third world country.. but its who you see in the mirror everyday that has the most dramatic effect on our mindstate.

I do think that we all take too much to heart regarding our self image but that is by nature how we operate and how our wonderful civilized western culture works - Beauty and Perfection = Success and Confidence, or that is how it is sold to us and what is progammed into us from birth.

In my opinion being bald has become more acceptable over the last 20 years, this being driven by the media etc.. lots of women I know "love" Bruce Willis... and god only knows why but also the Mitchell brothers !!

But this brings little help when sitting in front of the mirror examining our ever receeding hairlines. Try to think as you walk down any highstreet or sit in any pub that you are not the only bald or balding guy there, that not everyone is "looking".. I think acceptance of the fact that loosing your hair has not turned you into some kind of Victorian Freak Show Exhibit is something to look for first. If and only when you find that you cannot "find acceptance" then try to do something about it.

I can't find this "acceptance" with the way my hair is (mainly down to an un-natural look thanks to a UK HT clinic) so I am doing something about it... so maybe what I have just written is all bollocks.. but I wish it was not !

Anyway, will stop here before I get branded as a nutter...... thinking about it maybe I should have just wrote "f**k it, do what makes you happy"..

Anyone got a phone number for a goof shrink...

Tim (insane from Essex)