Sign in to follow this  
boristheburglar1983

Msm And Nizoral

Nizoral has some ingredients which may help but its main use for myself was to stop the bad dandruff i got from using minoxidil liquid .

Hi Bigmac..

Nizoral.. is it worth a go ? Have read about 2 shampoos, Nizoral and another with a similar name but cant find it now.. One is stronger and have also read that either / both should not be used everyday ?

Cheers

Tim

Hi Tim

Nizoral 2%

Nizorelle 1%

twice a week is sufficient usually as they dry your hair out.

Here are some studies which support the use of Nizoral...

http://www.hairlosstalk.com/download/nizoral.pdf

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/sites/entrez?W...sort1=&SendTo1=

The effects of chronic use of 1% ketoconazole or a 1% zinc pyrithione shampoo on the general health of hair and scalp.

Authors G. Piérard 1and G. Cauwenbergh2

Institution Department of Dermatopathology, University of Liege, Belgium.

BACKGROUND:

March 04, 2001 - American Academy of Dermatology Meeting - Washington DC - Scientists working for McNeil, makers of Nizoral anti-dandruff shampoo, presented the findings of a study done on 1% Nizoral shampoo which has good news for hair loss sufferers.

It has long been known that 2% prescription Nizoral has beneficial effects on Androgenic Alopecia (MPB). It however has been unclear whether the same benefits can be obtained by using the non-prescription 1% version.

In the study presented (see below), one hundred male volunteers with mild to moderate dandruff and somewhat oily scalp, were using, in a double-blind fashion, either a 1% Nizoral shampoo or a 1% zinc pyrithione shampoo, 2-3 times a week for 6 months.

Analysis of the different parameters set up in the study shows that the hair diameter gradually increased with Nizoral use (+8.46%) over a 6 month period, whereas the diameter showed a trend to decrease with zinc pyrithione use over the same period (-2.28%).

The sebum excretion rate was reduced with Nizoral (-6.54%) while it increased with zinc pyrithione (+8.2%) over the same period of time. The number of hair shed over a 24-hour period was reduced by 16.46% with Nizoral and 6.02% with zinc pyrithione after 6 months.

Finally, the percentage hairs in anagen phase increased by 6.4% and 8.4% respectively during the study time. The results are similar to a previous study done on 2% prescription strength Nizoral where it was shown that use of 2% Nizoral yielded a 7% average increase in hair shaft diameter similar to what was achieved by the control ***** using 2% Minoxidil and a non-medicated shampoo.

So for any hair loss sufferer, this research clearly indicates that using 1% or 2% Nizoral 2-3 times per week, will have positive effects on hair growth as well as controlling dandruff.

It is still unclear at this time whether it's the anti-fungal properties or the anti-androgenic properties of Ketokonazole (active ingredient in Nizoral) thats responsible for the hair thickening effects, however because of the decrease in sebum rates as well, it is the authors opinion that the results are due to the anti-androgenic properties of Ketokonazole.

Thanks BigMac..

that will also keep the secretary happy as she is always bleating on about her Boots "Club" card points... will give me the perfect excuse to send her off shopping... will be a very happy bunny.

Tim

Stick on your shopping list a few packets of extra large condoms,should raise a few eyebrows.

Nizoral.... just got some

on the leaflet is mentions some people reported hairloss

eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeekkkkkkkkkk :o :blink: :( :unsure:

Help anyone ???

Yes that is listed as a possible side effect, but most of the study evidence shows that Nizoral has a modest positive effect on male pattern hair loss. Bear in mind that many treatments (especially minoxidil) can cause an initial shedding phase - this doesn't necessarily mean permanent loss.

You have me confused Tim Uk.

You ask about Nizoral like you have never used it before but your regime below your posts is:

Crap Uk HT in June 1992. Number of grafts , god only knows !!

Session with Doctor Feller Booked for 8th April 08

Proscar - 1/5 of tablet per day. 2000 MSM per day.

Nizoral Shampoo twice a week

:blink: :blink: :unsure: :rolleyes:

Hi Spotty.

I only just started using it, had read a few posts and seemed like a good thing to get, only then did I read the instructions and it mentioned something about hair loss.. But am using it twice a week.

As for confused, I confuse myself "most" of the time so expect that I confuse others "all" of the time :P

Tim