Sign in to follow this  
Timuk

Hairdressers - Barbers ?

Hi all..

Something I have been reading about and think may be a good topic is about having hair cut after an HT or like me when you are waiting for a repair and it would be obvious to a hairdresser what I have had done..

I was fairly lucky when I had my UK HT (not the result !!) as I it was done behind my hairline and has only been "really" noticable over the last couple of years. I was also fortunate the my hairdresser was a good family friend and was one of the few people who knew, my partner at the time was my hairdresser daughter and she also cut my hair... problem came when we split....and not on good terms... my fault as "was a bad boy" !!

I just did not know what to do.. I rang loads of visiting hairdressers... all of which turned out to be women, none of them would visit a new client who was a man alone in his house... made me feel like a pervert and half expected a visit from the police !!

Again.. I was lucky as another very good female friend who knew about my HT aksed her hairdresser who turned out to be a lovely woman..so my problem was solved for yet another few years.. then she left to live in Spain, leaving my back at square one.

I have solved this problem now by buying a ser of clippers, I now have my hair cut by my sister, I have settled for just running the clippers through at grade 8... can get away with a 5 just before the "racing stripes" at the back of my head show. I will continue to do this even after my HT with Doctor Feller (8th April) as I like my hair fairly short and even when I was young never really worried about fancy hair cuts.

Sorry to rant on but I do think that this is a subject that affects many... I wonder if there is a Hairdresser that caters for HT guys.. If there is not then there is a massive call for one.

Tim

I figure I'd just tell my hairdresser. I look at it this way, what's more 'embarrassing', them standing over you seeing you thinning not saying anything and you sitting there worrying they noticed your balding patches. Or telling them you had an HT, but at the end of the day walking around with a full head of hair... and confidence.

Noticeably balding and lacking in confidence < People knowing you had an HT but having a full head of hair and confidence

What would you pick?

Hi JoshB

I suppose its all down to how each person feels, I think that anyone who is loosing their hair must feel bad about it at some time, but I know that I would prefer to be thin and shaved down than my current situation. But then would I ?? Cant say 100%, but all I know is that including myself and from reading posts it does seem that getting your hair cut does cause problems..

I just go by the fact I have work collegues and also friends who are bald / balding and it does not effect their lives.. (or so it would seem).. and I envy even the natural bald guys with their "as mother nature intended" look rather than my "UK inflicted scars and dolls head type grafts"...

But you are correct in saying that confidence is what its all about and we each find this in different ways. When I have a hard hat on and am runing a building site I think I "beam" confidence.. but put me in a pub full of people and bright lights and my HT showing , I am the opposite...

Who know's... will shut up now as could go on and on and will just end up repeating myself and talking crap, sorry I ment more crap :P

I forgot and overlooked the fact some people aren't satisfied with their HT's - I don't have one so I cannot speak from experience. What you said makes perfect sense though, my post doesn't take that into account. I get what you mean though, in that situation this would be much more of a difficult issue.

Hi JoshB

I also forgot to mention that when I first started going thin I felt uncomfatable when visiting the hairdresser... all boils down to the fact that MPB is shit... a curse.... even if there are worse things in life..

Tim

Hi JoshB

I also forgot to mention that when I first started going thin I felt uncomfatable when visiting the hairdresser... all boils down to the fact that MPB is shit... a curse.... even if there are worse things in life..

Tim

Before I started taking proscar I'd lay there with my head back in the bowl dreading my hair being washed knowing it would be coming out in her hands like it did in mine and I'd wonder what on earth she was thinking! I still dread it, but not so much.

JoshB

Do not know if this will make a difference.. but as I mentioned in my first post on this thread I used to know several hairdressers and wish I had know what they told me when I was first getting depressed / paranoid about my hairloss.. they all told me the same thing... loads of men loose their hair, they see it eveyday and dont think about it as a big thing...

I have been through all the "bad" stuff with hairloss and it feels terrible... but just take a look around and see how common it is... your lucky to have the meds your on, my hairloss started 20 years ago and 14 years ago made a big mistake by just calling a phone number on the back of a Sunday Newspaper... was talked into and had a bad HT.. I know from this forum I had a lucky"ish" escape and there are guys getting worse results from the Uk clinics today !!

Up until 2 / 3 years ago I had come to terms with my hairloss and I can assure you it did not bother me or effect any part of my life, too late for propecia to cover what I lost, its only been since then that the plugs started showing that I become paranoid again..

I am off to see Doctor Feller in April, my plan is to have just enough to make the hair I have look natural, not looking for a full head of hair.. just thin hair, cut short and I will be happy.. I also have age as a factor.. I am 41 and I think as we age hairloss does become less important as when we were young (er)..

Like before, its different for everyone, and it good to know that with the meds and guys like Spex and Doctor Feller most guys now have the choice..

This forum is a great thing.. it has given me back loads of confidence even before I get sorted...

Shit, there I go again..... could talk for England !!