Sign in to follow this  
BENOIT2008

Newbie In Need Of Advice

Hi Everyone, been queitley reading this and other forums over the last few days - in need of some advice and help so hoping you can be kind to me and point me in the right direction.

my story, well im nearing my 28th birthday, and feel I am hitting the first part of MPB.

I have very thick hair, (haridresseres always comment how thick it is, and how when cutting it theres always lots on the floor , and grows back very quick) however over Id say the past 5 months I got promoted at work where my pressures increased and stress was growing more and more by the day. I bega developing an itchy and flaky scapl and was supplied with a shampoo by my gp called protar & tgel. used this for 2 - 3 weeks and seemed to help the flakyness.

i thought nothing of my hairloss at all (not gettign hairs on pilliows or in the showers) until a comment made by someone in a pub, with the ''your balding', which was followed by 2 more remarks the following weeks by seperate colleagues of 'your loosing it', and 'baldy'. my world then fell and has fallen apart. its the last thing i think o before i go asleep and the first thing before i wake up in the mornings. a subsequent short hair cut to me looked like by hair line had gone back a little particulary at the temples and confidence has been drained out of me. I dont feel like going out with friends and am so self concious i feel like crying at times. Its such a self dent to my conidence.

Worse still I have always had a very big forehead, (some people have large hooters, big ears, gooy teeth for me its a ugly looking forehead). i never got teased or bullie dover this and although i knew this was the case, it never bothered me and during my late teens - went for a spikey boy band type hairstyle that seem to suit me and gether some attention. shaving my head will not be an option i wish it was and envy guys who can shave and stil look cool

i have moved into a new house and have a stunning girlfriend who is younger than i am at 22, and things seem to be going well. i have developed self paranoia about the effect my hair loss may have on my future and our future together.

my dad is not fully bald and at 55 he has a bald patch and little hair at the ront admitedley although at 55 id settle for what he has. in summary i feel i am at the very early stages of MPB and although i have read its natuaral as you get older for the early hairline to disapear i am worried and have contunied to worry that the worrying i am doing will cause further hairloss....

i have read and looked at proscar as my first step and through various forums have ound out where i can get this fairly cheap through a dr ashcroft for a years supply. i have also looked through various surgeons such as dr feller who seem to do great jobs in helping people restore there hair. i dont know what is best for me however. i have good thick hair in areas and will look to get some photos posted asap so you guys can offer your comments. i havent told my girlfriend of this althoguh she knows i am worried about things at the moment - its very embarassing situation at the moment. i am hoping i can take some pictures of my head without her noticing me borrowing the digital camera !!!!

i am looking for some words of advice in these early stages and welcome any thoguhts and observations you all have. look forward to hearing from you

best wishes

Hi,

quite a newbie myself, but you have come to the right place as there are loads of guys on here who will give you sound and good advice.

One thing from my experience is that PLEASE do not let that paranoia ruin your life.. it happened to me when I first started receding... from my experience your hair will probably follow your fathers..

When I now look back I realise I should never have been so worried as this made me make a choice of having an Ht in a Uk clinic and wish I had not.. look around you and you will see that MPB affects so many guys of all walks of life... with nice girlfriends, successful people etc..

I am in no way able to give you advice re treatment and wait until you have replies from the "Masters" on here..

Again... do not let it ruin your life. I know thats easy to say but believe me by finding this forum you have saved yourself a lot of potential heatache... I wish there had been a forum like this around 15 years ago..

Cheer up and wait for the advice to roll in

Tim

Hi BENOIT 2008

Welcome to the forum and as Tim says you`ve found the forums and will get some good advice.

Now if your hair is falling out very quickly ie major loss in the last few months i woild see your GP to make sure no other medical condition is affecting your hair.Once this is established and you`re ok i would get on proscar to try and stop the loss and you could be one of the lucky ones who experience regrowth.

I hope you are ok and as Tim says try not to let it affect you too much as there are plentty of people in the same boat on here willing to talk and hopefully help you

Benoit it seems to me that you are probably just seeing the classic mature hairline happenning, this happens to about 90% of men between the ages of about 18 - 28. This where the hairline changes from that of a juevenile to an adult hairline. Typicaly the hairline moves back (recedes) anything from 1cm - 1 inch. This is not necesarily m.p.b as for many men thats as far as their hairloss goes for the next 20/30 yrs.

As for stress I doubt that has anything to do with it, stress related hairloss is not the same as m.p.b stress related hairloss its usualy a complete thinning of the entire head or losing random small patches all over.

Your best bet to see what you could expect is to look at your family membersa on both sides, grandfathers, brothers, uncles etc. Its not fullproof but 9/10 times its correct.

The pics you post will be helpful for us to see more clearly whats going on.

Proscar is unlikely to do anything for your hairline but if you do have m.p.b it will probably be able to halt it and stop you from losing the rest of your hair.I definatley think that its too soon for you to be considering a HT.

And lastly it could be worse by your age I was pretty much completley bald on top.

Benoit it seems to me that you are probably just seeing the classic mature hairline happenning, this happens to about 90% of men between the ages of about 18 - 28. This where the hairline changes from that of a juevenile to an adult hairline. Typicaly the hairline moves back (recedes) anything from 1cm - 1 inch. This is not necesarily m.p.b as for many men thats as far as their hairloss goes for the next 20/30 yrs.

As for stress I doubt that has anything to do with it, stress related hairloss is not the same as m.p.b stress related hairloss its usualy a complete thinning of the entire head or losing random small patches all over.

Your best bet to see what you could expect is to look at your family membersa on both sides, grandfathers, brothers, uncles etc. Its not fullproof but 9/10 times its correct.

The pics you post will be helpful for us to see more clearly whats going on.

Proscar is unlikely to do anything for your hairline but if you do have m.p.b it will probably be able to halt it and stop you from losing the rest of your hair.I definatley think that its too soon for you to be considering a HT.

And lastly it could be worse by your age I was pretty much completley bald on top.

thanks for your words s.a.f - just dropped you a PM

Proscar from Dr Ashcroft is helping me already. And the shampoo, nizorelle is brilliant, thickens up my hair or gives that effect so I feel much more confident, much more. Also it's a great shampoo, leaves it soft and shiney :D

I did go on to Nizoral, which is stronger, but now I'm wondering if it is shedding my hair more... I was happy with Nizorelle, so I have gone back to it and shedding and hairloss is so much reduced, in the shower, when I dry my hair... None on my pillow now, now when I run my hand through my hair... I'm about 3 months in, maybe a bit more. Hoping for some re growth now :D

Temple hair seems like it's slowed but not stopped, maybe it will maybe it won't, if it dones bonus.

Proscar is what I'd recommend, just the recommended amount, 1/5 every day and Nizorelle shampoo.

Hi all...

so this Nizorelle... is it worth a go ? I am guilty of being very lazy and just use a standard shower gel for hair and everywhere.. :huh:

Is it really worth using a proper shampoo ?

Cheers . Tim

Hi all...

so this Nizorelle... is it worth a go ? I am guilty of being very lazy and just use a standard shower gel for hair and everywhere.. :huh:

Is it really worth using a proper shampoo ?

Cheers . Tim

Yes definitely. Not just for hairloss, but just in general...

Nizorelle may be a bit too strong for daily use, remember it may only be 1% ketoconazole but it's still a medicated shampoo. I used to shampoo with Nizoral (the stronger, 2% ketoconazole version) twice a week but disliked its drying effect. For a 'normal' shampoo, I would recommend:

1. If money is no object, Aveda Man, also called Pure-formance.

2. If you don't want to spend too much, Daniel Galvin Junior.

Hello all,

just like to say big public thanks to richie here, met up with the guy on friday and we spoke of his experiences & hair loss journey, my fears, and he managed to answer a million and one questions I had to throw at him in the process. its not easy putting yourself out to help others including complete strangers, and ive got to say he was so positive, upbeat, and without biggin the guy up too much a thoroughly nice fella.

from feeling depressed and shitty i now see thats its not all doom and gloom, thanks again

:D

Good to see you`ve got a more positive perspective now and i agree Richie is a top bloke.