Sign in to follow this  
winkle

How Does This Compare To Dr Feller Excellent Work

I think his technique is different, this doctor said 'micrografts err, follicular unit grafts'

The way the strip scar is closed is different (Dr Feller uses sutures which I think makes a neater scar) and the

and the way the graft sites are prepared and carried out he uses a lateral slit technique instead of the merc opening, with the date of the video I would think this is one of the early attemps and the density doesn't look as good as nowadays, perhaps most early attemps at FUT were like that.

Quite informative though

It doesn't compare... that video basically demonstrated a UK style butchering with a short linear strip and only just over 1000 grafts <_< Hardly worth having strip surgery for so few hairs. He mentioned that the strip was 12cm long when the top US docs take 30cm+ long strips in a smiley pattern going across the back of the head and rising above the ears at the sides. 1200 grafts isn't going to do much for that guy seeing as he was basically bald all over the top of his head. He was also using a 1.5mm punch to make recipient holes instead of lateral slits :o This guy will have sparse doll's hair with visible pitting from all the punch holes in his recipient area and a HT that will be obvious from 50 yards away. There is much less trauma from lateral slits and your scalp heals up so that there is no sign that anything has been done. Lateral slits heal up in the same way a minor scratch would - a 1.5mm punch will leave severe pitting that will be clearly visible through the sparse doll's hair. Now I know why UK HT's look so crap - the UK clinics must have used that video clip to train their butc er "surgeons".

Very old video that me thinks , i,d say bout 2001/2

2000, but that's what they are doing in the UK in 2007.

Ye i seen that video early last year. didnt realise it took so long getting the strip out and the then the work for then closing the wound.. (it was shortend in parts on the vid).

so thats only a small strip (about a thousand graphs in there?)

i wasnt impressed at the with the placing of the graphs. i mean just being placed in random areas , and it being very very slow in the process. Have things quickend up , in the placing of the graphs since then ?

that certainly seems to be a wide cut in the donor area-is that normal width with top h/t docs? :huh:

The top docs take a longer thinner strip. My first one was 26.5cm * 1 cm - Dr Feller had the strip removed and stitched back up before I had even realized what had happened. Second time around I had a longer strip and Dr Feller removed a bit at a time checking for laxity as he went along. The second one took time to do because my laxity wasn't good and he had to check the tension and adjust the width of the strip accordingly. I think around 1 cm is the normal width for those with average donor and laxity but those with rolls of loose fat on the back of their head or better than average laxity can easily have wider ones - I've seen some 2 cm wide ones mentioned. Those short wide strips were the old-school way (current UK) to do it but now the top docs prefer to take longer narrower strips to avoid excess tension. Better to have a long almost invisible scar than a short, very wide bald scar on the back of your head <_< Dr Feller has quite a large team of techs doing several different stages simultaneously so he gets more done in a day than shown on that video clip.