Sign in to follow this  
maneman

Another Newbie - Full Sad Story!

Hi, I thought i would register and share my tale of woe thus far...

I started losing my hair (firstly temple, soon followed by crown) in 1999 (aged 29).

After an unsuccesful trial of regaine (rogaine), i eventually decided on surgery.

I didn't have internet access at the time, and my only source of information were the 'ads' in the back of magazines.

I went with the one that was clearly being 'upfront' with the prices (efffectively £1 a hair root) The 'clinic' which i won't name is based in Horley, Surrey. (say no more eh?)

I was told after an inspection (just prior to the procedure itself) that i would need 1500 roots (or £1500 worth) But i nievely and desperatley persuaded them that an additional 500 roots (QUID) could be packed in.

This procedure brought some success, but the results were sparse, and the plugs left 'craters'.

However, 10 months later, i returned for a 1500 root (£) 'top up' . Two lady surgeons working on either temple - the result was one temple reasonable growth (but pitted again) the other side nothing...

I persuaded myself to give it one more go for the final 'big one' and returned in early 2003 with high hopes (and a cheque for £2500) This was a temple and crown 'blitz'.

The result was effectively nil, however, i was rewarded with a 2 inch long 1/2 inch wide scar.....

Unsurprisingly, i was 'a little dissapointed' at such a poor set of results, and being on a low income of around £15,000 a year, somewhat reluctant to spend my small spare income anywhere in the vicinity of Horley.

But, don't call me a quitter! In late 2004 with renewed vigour I sallied forth to the kingdom of the bard (Stratford on Avon) to see Dr Rogers. Here i had a fourth strip procedure (temple only) and low and behold - It actually worked! Cost was £2000.

Now, when i say it worked, i don't sadly mean that my forelocks look like Elvis in '59, but i did get all the grafts through and no evidence of pitting...

The plan therefore was to continue with Dr Rogers for a further strip procedure in 2005/6.

Sadly for me though, redundancy put pay to that plan....

So here i am eight years and eight grand later with 'thinning frontal' and 'shiny crown'.... and fast pushing forty!!

But wait - I will return, in fact im going to see the man this very week for a review, and will hopefully get under the knife, before santa comes down the chimney... Will there be a happy ending?

Watch this space - Photos will be forthcoming prior to any work being done.... ;)

Be lucky, Maneman

Hey Bro, you need to talk to Spex before deciding on a British hair transplant! And are you taking finasteride? That should be step 1 for keeping your existing hair.

But, don't call me a quitter! In late 2004 with renewed vigour I sallied forth to the kingdom of the bard (Stratford on Avon) to see Dr Rogers. Here i had a fourth strip procedure (temple only) and low and behold - It actually worked! Cost was £2000.

Now, when i say it worked, i don't sadly mean that my forelocks look like Elvis in '59, but i did get all the grafts through and no evidence of pitting...

How many grafts did you have with Dr Rogers? Good luck with the next one :)

i had really bad surgery here in the uk as well. i am off to see feller in the new year for a repair :) have a look at the testimonies and patients pictures. There is a video i just saw as well of hairline work which has really cheered me up :)

http://stophairlossnow.ipbhost.com/index.php?showtopic=2881

rogers is o.k but if i were you look into getting a doctor who can do more with your donor supply.its cheaper to have the best in america than rogers who is second division

my story http://stophairlossnow.ipbhost.com/index.php?showtopic=2837

To reply to all posts: Yes i am taking generic finasteride, which definatley arrested further loss, but sadly, has not produced any regrowth... I remember consulting my gp about finasteride in 2000 (when my loss was minimal) and it not being licenced in the UK at the time. If only my hair would have stuck around for a few more years!!

Im not entirely sure how many grafts i had with Dr Rogers, (surprisingly!) But the cost was £2000...

I know, lot's of stuff is said about various surgeons, (i've already mentioned the crowd in Horley :rolleyes: )

But as any veteran of surgery knows, results vary. And there can be many different reasons.

My reason for returning to Dr Rogers, is that his work did what I expected. (i.e The grafts that he did, all came through)

It may be, that my expectations of what is reasonably possible are too low after my experiences in Horley.

But, what i do know, is that my procedure in Stratford was a world away in terms of care taken...

Certainly, for me, if i have a similar experience (and result) this time round, i will consider it worth while.

As for other recommendations, well, i 've heard all the arguments relating to other surgeons both in the UK and abroad, and i wouldn't presume that they are wrong (any more than i would insist that i'm right in choosing Dr Rogers) But, in the end, the only way to establish a surgeons abillities for yourself, is to lie back in the chair, and cross your fingers.... :o

What i'm really waiting for, is the surgeon who is so confident of his abillities, they say "pay me next year, when the results are clear" One day perhaps! ;)

As for other recommendations, well, i 've heard all the arguments relating to other surgeons both in the UK and abroad, and i wouldn't presume that they are wrong (any more than i would insist that i'm right in choosing Dr Rogers) But, in the end, the only way to establish a surgeons abillities for yourself, is to lie back in the chair, and cross your fingers.... :o

If you are happy with your previous surgery with Dr Rogers, seems like a good idea to stick with him for your next one. I was very pleased with my first HT with Dr Feller and decided to stick with him for my second.

Will you be posting any pictures?

If you are happy with your previous surgery with Dr Rogers, seems like a good idea to stick with him for your next one. I was very pleased with my first HT with Dr Feller and decided to stick with him for my second.

Will you be posting any pictures?

Hi PB, Yes i will try to borrow a digital camera (can't afford to buy one now im having another HT) and post a before shot, and if i'm not too tired after the surgery and drive home, a post op view as well....

Session of 1000 (60/40 temple and crown) booked for mid November.... ;)

hi maneman are you still going for your second hy with dr rogers this month and hows your first ht with dr rogers looking now.