Sign in to follow this  
snowman

Is There Any More That Can Be Done?

I m currently taking 1mg finasteride and have done so for approx 9 months have used rogaine foam but am currently off this as didnt see major improvement and i am getting discomfort on the scalp.

I suffer from thinning of the hair and was wondering if there is anything that can be done to help improve. I am 23 so am not sure of an HT is suitable. Plus i suppose i havent really given the finasteride the recommended 12-18 months to see its full effect. It has 100% stopped any hair loss, its just the regrowth i would like to work at

Any advice much appreciated

As you say finasteride is more effective at stopping further loss than regrowing hair. Regrowing hair is very, very difficult!

There is only one clinically approved hair growth stimulant (hypertrichotic), minoxidil. You have obviously tried this for a reasonable length of time (6-12 months)? Results with minoxidil do tend to vary. I've seen studies with very impressive average hair count increases, in fact much more impressive than finasteride - in some cases an extra 300 hairs or more, compared to placebo, in a 1-inch circular test area. However, there are doubts about the methodology used to assess hair counts in some of these studies - they seem to have been less robust than the techniques used in the Propecia & Avodart research. The response rate is also a cause for concern. Minoxidil tends to work very well for about 1/3 of men, works to some extent for another 1/3, but not at all for remaining 1/3.

Apart from finasteride and minoxidil, what else can you do? Well, use Nizoral shampoo every third day, or Revita shampoo 5 days a week. Both of these have ketoconazole which is an anti-fungal and potentially a mild anti-androgen. It had a modest impact on hair shaft diameter and rate of shedding in a couple of small studies. Revita has copper peptides as well. Copper peptides are anti-inflammatory and seem to play some kind of role in skin healing. Tricomin spray, a copper peptide product, outperformed minoxidil 2% in a small clinical trial. The new Boots anti-hair loss spray may be useful as well, but I'm not sure about the ingredients. All of these things may help to some extent, but you won't see much benefit beyond what you'd get with finasteride and minoxidil. That's about it really!