Sign in to follow this  
TAZBO

Regaine Confusing Me

Hi,

I am about to start using regaine as I am seeing a lot of thinning on my head and the dreaded horse shoe style will appear. I thought why not shave it all of and then start applying regaine that way It wont get all sticky and messy at night and before work and I can then apply it all over my head. But the bottle says do not apply on shaved head, why is that? If it is going into my roots then why does the existing hair have to be their?

any ideas?

Welcome Tazbo,

I can offer advice - which can save you a great deal of time :)

Read up through the forums topics and see the posters veiws on Minoxodil. <_< You will not see great results from in in brief.

To maintain your hair and possibly thicken it up your best form of attack is Propecia/proscar. (DHT blocker)

You can apply Minox to shaved head but be careful; not to apply too much if you choose to use it as it is alcohol based and will dry out your scalp. <_<

I used Minox for yrs and it did sweet FA. i recommend looking into a DHT blocker to prevent further loss. Minox is not a DHT blocker but a regrowth agent and this only works for a short period of time <_<

I tend to agree with Spex. However, there is some evidence that combining minoxidil with finasteride works better than finasteride alone. However, if you are only going to use one drug, then finasteride is best.

A lot of forum posters say that minoxidil can regrow more hair than finasteride in the short term. Unfortunately, much of the "regrowth" generated by minoxidil is of cosmetically insignificant fine vellus hairs rather than thick, fully pigmented terminal hairs. In reality, your follicles are still being ‘attacked’ by DHT if you're using minoxidil alone, and the growth stimulus that the drug provides will be overwhelmed in a few years by the general progression of balding.

According to information on keratin.com, minoxidil works better for women than men, although the 2% version is usually used by women since (apparently) facial and arm hair growth is a possible side effect of high concentrations. Other sides include rashes, skin redness, itching, shedding… even facial swelling! If the drug goes systematic there is potential for a wider range of sides, but this is relatively rare with topical solutions.

"To maintain your hair and possibly thicken it up your best form of attack is Propecia/proscar. (DHT blocker)"

I have read all the side effects and that sounds a bit scary, I have even read that it will lower your sperm count and I want kids lol.

"To maintain your hair and possibly thicken it up your best form of attack is Propecia/proscar. (DHT blocker)"

I have read all the side effects and that sounds a bit scary, I have even read that it will lower your sperm count and I want kids lol.

The side effects of Propecia are pretty mild. Some people even report an increase in sex drive!

Proscar (the 5mg dose of finasteride) lowered average sperm counts in one study, but not by a "clinically significant" level. The product monograph for Proscar states - "Treatment with PROSCAR® for 24 weeks to evaluate semen parameters in healthy male volunteers revealed no clinically meaningful effects on sperm concentration motility, morphology or pH. A 0.6 mL median decrease in ejaculate volume with a concomitant reduction in total sperm per ejaculate was observed. These parameters remained within the normal range and were reversible upon discontinuation of therapy."

You'll still be able to father normal, healthy children while taking finasteride. Many posters on various hairloss forums have done so. I believe that Spex's partner is pregnant.

That means I got to fork out another load of money for Propecia, ontop of the £25 a month for the regaine. Wow that is a lot to keep hair. Can you use them both together? and can you recommend somewhere were I can get Proprcia from thanks so much.

That means I got to fork out another load of money for Propecia, ontop of the £25 a month for the regaine. Wow that is a lot to keep hair. Can you use them both together? and can you recommend somewhere were I can get Proprcia from thanks so much.

Spex's GP will prescribe you Proscar (fin 5mg) which you cut into fifths. Works out at £8 a month which is pretty damn reasonable for preserving your hair IMO.

http://www.hairhelp.myzen.co.uk/?q=node/7

I've nothing different to add to this except to say all the above is good advice. I tried Regaine, just gave me terrible dandruff. I use generic proscar works out at £50 a year, had minor sides in early days but they soon passed.