Sign in to follow this  
spex

Down Time!

Down time! <_<

A very common question associated with getting a HT and one of the most common reasons for not getting a ht sooner in many cases. Many guys know which Doc they are going with after much research but then need to wait months, sometime years to get an appropriate window of "Down time" in order to pull the HT off unnoticed by family, friends, work colleagues etc...Down time is a pain in arse - NO DOUBT!!! <_<

Downtime is definitely an element of the whole HT procedure you need to consider when embarking on your HT journey.

Depending on the size of the session obviously some patients down time is less than others: ie smaller sessions can get away with a shorter down time period compared to larger session sizes.

Healing is only half the battle - Many guys heal up with no real evidence of surgery in as little as 10 days and some can still have lingering redness for quite a prolonged periods of time - especially fair skinned patients. There is also the factor of having to have the recipient areas shaved down in order to achieve the best result possible and provide the doc great flexibility etc -Shaving down is essential!...(thats a whole other topic ;) )

The answer to the question of "how much down time do i need?" is an impossible one to answer but i recommend that you give yourself as much time as possible - a MINIMUM of 2-3 weeks ideally 4-5 (especially larger strip sessions.) If you can wear a hat to work then you are laughing and could literally be back to work within days if you wanted to but for the vast majority wearing a hat at work is not an option and the appropriate amount of downtime post op needs to be considered!

I have received a number of sessions over the years and never once have i been able to back at work within 2 weeks and i know all the tricks - Some are below, please feel free to add any handy minimising "down time" hints.

1. Apply Aloe Vera gel, Emu oil, distilled witch hazel etc.. to the healing areas to help soothe and speed up healing process.

2. Take MSM (3000mg) to speed up the existing hairs growth since the buzz to get some length back to help disguise.

3. Use concealers in areas once hair is long enough to help bulk up and disguise lingering redness.

4. Wearing a hat to buy you valuable days.

5. Growing hair long pre op to help disguise areas worked on.

6. Buzz hair short pre op in advance so people you see on a day to day basis don't notice the new buzz cut post op.(Especially FUE guys)

7. Take a holiday post op and take yourself out the loop for 3-4 weeks

8. Take sick leave right before your holiday comes to a close - buy you valuable days

The list will hopefully be added to with experiences that guys have been through in order to help minimise their own personal downtime.

Regards

Spex B)

Good post Spex !

I was out of action (having to wear a hat in public) for over three months and it was VERY tough. I found myself having to make excuses all the time about why I couldn’t do certain things. But this is all part and parcel, and well worth it in the end B)

Yeah good post spex;

I wore a hat for more than 4 months as I wanted to keep things as hush as possible, only close family and friends knew about my HT and I shyed away from social activities for a while too, it sounds like a long time but it soon passes.

Good post Spex !

I was out of action (having to wear a hat in public) for over three months and it was VERY tough. I found myself having to make excuses all the time about why I couldn’t do certain things. But this is all part and parcel, and well worth it in the end B)

Don't spose you can divulge a list of good excuses? I'm already running out of mine, and I haven't even had the op yet! :lol:

Don't spose you can divulge a list of good excuses? I'm already running out of mine, and I haven't even had the op yet! :lol:

Ha ! Mate this is the toughest part of it all having to make excuse after excuse :(

But again it's well worth it in the end ! B)

Good luck ;)

If you are only having a hairline, you probably won't need any excuses. I was able to cover my second HT with the hair behind it and went to work without a cap - nobody asked or mentioned anything about my hair.

I think your existing hair will cover the area worked on so you will get away with it. Although depends on the area the Doc works on :unsure:

Just have a hat at the ready for a while ;)