shabbydo

Still Cant Make My Mind Up Propecia

I have thining hair at the front of my hair line. IE directly above my eyes. After watching the videos on the Propecia web site and reading information. They kept saying "there is no evednece that Propecia works on receding hair lines and the temple areas"

Does this mean the FDA tests were not dont on that part of the head or is it basically saying If your losing hair at the front, dont bother trying this. I dont want too part with my money too find out its not even going too work for me B)

Here is a decent link about frontal hairloss and propecia mate. It is basically a study showing how it can work. I use it for frontal loss anyway, and i also have thinning all over the top, its not gonna do anything but help. link Joe

Specs your a guy who knows his stuff, would u recomend propecia for frontal hairloss, in respect too basically stopping any more coming out. I know its doubtfull that it will actually thicken up my hair that has thinned, but do i have a good chance of it stopping any more from thinning?

Ok been doing a bit more research on this subject. I found this http://www.propecia-uk.com/propecia.html Basically it says the chances of hair regrowth with propecia on the frontal hair line is not as good as it is at the vertex but there is a good chance that it will help maintain what hair you have.

If specs you could confirm this ill be ordering the propecia.

The link that this site gives is a good legit company correct? http://www.directresponsemarketing.com. Id just feal safer for now using offical product.

Proscar is exactly the same drug you just cut it into 5 pieces. No point ripping yourself off mate. I use Propecia/proscar for frontal simply to maintain what i have. Joe

Ok thx again for all the info. What i have decided too do is email Specs doctor and another doctor regarding this drug and if they think it would be of help too me. If any one should know specs dr will B). I hope he replys soon.

shabbydo - it will defo help your situ generally and hopefully you will be a good responder like many others.

Propecia has been my saviour!

Good luck and please keep us all informed

Thx for all the help guys B) i got a responce and gonna give him a call when my new phone arrives damn O2 let me order a phone then told me they dont have it in stock B) im sure all my hair wont fall out in a week so its just gonna have too wait for now B).

Im just curious if any one knows, if i get perscribed medication by dr ashcroft will i be able too send the cash to his surgery. Id feal so much safer knowing its going too a clinic. I say this because too contact the dr i have too use a mobile number, and as im sure you all know one can never be too carefull.

I was so close too spending 350 quid on 6 months propecia too B)

Ok finally got too talk too The DR and hes a great guy really helpfull and I wish i hadnt taken this long too talk too him. But it seems everything is against me at the moment :) first the phone being delayed then after the Dr said he would give me the drug, I cant find my bloody cheque book. :( so another week im gonna have too wait now.

Try and put my mind at rest guys, i wont lose much hair in a week or so will i :(, some how i have convinsed my self that i will. I know this is dumb. :(.

a week will make no difference! rest assured that your now doing something productive against DHT!

Glad you got hold of him and he put your mind at ease!

Is anyone here looking into Dutasteride? After taking propecia then proscar, I have switched to Dutasteride 0.5 mg when I read that it is a much better DHT inhibitor. I still collect my free prescription for proscar though, maybe to give to my brother for a Christmas present. I haven't seen him for over a year. When he sees my new hair, he will want to know my secret!

Ulsterman

Yes, .5mg - 2.5mg of Dutasteride provides better results in hair maintenance/regrowth as opposed to Finasteride. You can check out the following link for a study chart:

Link Dutasteride v's Finesteride

However, the benefit likely comes from its higher inhibition of type II 5ar not its suppression of type I 5ar. Merck tested a specific type I 5ar inhibitor called "MK386" in a human trial and found it had no effect on balding.

Jumping on the Dutasteride bandwagon before the Finasteride bandwagon is not a good idea. For most men Finasteride is enough to halt and even reverse MPB... In the off-chance your body becomes tolerant of Finasteride (over the years) you always have Dutasteride to fall back on...

Side-effects on Dutasteride may be more common, any such sides would last longer as the half-life of Dutasteride is much longer then Finasteride, and unlike type II 5ar type I 5ar *is* present in brain tissue. Finally, keep in mind that DHT is not an evil androgen that just causes hairloss. Various bodily functions benefit from DHT. Finasteride inhibits 65% overall DHT levels leaving 35% for your body to use (most of that 35% is from the type I 5ar that isnt a big factor in hairloss). Dutasteride inhibits 90% or more overall DHT levels leaving 10% or less for your body...

Basically, use Finasteride **first** and only resort to Dutasteride if you must.

Thanks Specs

I really value your detailed advice.

I thought that dutasteride would have less risks associated with it, because of the lower dose. I see there is more to it though. I understood that we need some dht, and blocking the receptors in the follicle with topical treatment is also very important. Topicals should present less danger in terms of side effects, though in this emerging science, we need to keep asking questions. For instance, we shouldn't give blood while using finasteride. Is this widely known?

On your advice I think I will stick to the finasteride, as this has probably been a major factor in growing the new hair I have now after twenty years of full mpb. Using dut now would be pure greed. I only took about ten capsules.

I'm not ready to post before and after pics just yet, my noticable coverage is wispy, though with thousands of short new intermediate or terminal hairs just beginning their new life. If my crown doesn't recover to the same extent I will consider transplant surgery, a few years down the line.

Have you heard of anyone else getting such results after twenty years of apparent total minaturisation?

Ulsterman

Hey guys good news :o i received my proscar from the gp specs recommended, i must admit i was / am reluctant to take such medication, but the situation i am in, lose my hair and not fight it, or put up a fight, I decided the medications is the way to go. I broke the pill up into 5 peices, and took the smallest chunk, will take all the smaller chunks first, incase any problems arise. The pills are very small smaller than i thought they would be, making splitting them quite difficult. But the gp assured me that it doesnt mater if one day you get 0.8mg the next 1.4mg the next 0.6mg as it evens out over the 5 days anyway to exactly 5mg.

He didnt seem to convinsed on the powers of minoxodil or how ever you spell it. saying yes it creates a peach fuzz effect very well, but its powers too truely regrow hair he belives is very limited.

Well ill report back to you all in a few weeks tell you if im fealing odd or turned into a mutant :o. But one thing is for sure, its like a weight of my shoulders actually starting this.

Id advise any one who is considering this course of treatment too research it and thinking hard about it, but dont whittle over it for months like I did, its not good for you. I ended up fealing very ill about it all, so i just went for it.

thx to specs :o

ok its been alittle over a month now since i last posted here and ill keep you informed of what i have experienced whilst being on proscar. And the results are as follows.

Nothing has happened :D no side effects no more hairloss but also no noticeable gain :D. But im happy with that and its only a month so i wouldnt expect any noticeable changes. But so far so good.

will report back at the 3 month stage when i can be sure if im still losing or gaining or just staying as i am :D.

3/4 months is the starting point - month 6/7 is the time to assess. Take pictures now and each month as they are the best way to assess the progress.

Ahhh so what your saying is, Chances are we will continue to lose hair for 3/4 (This hair would of been lost anyway with or without treatment). After this hair should stableize and either stay how it is or if we are lucky regrow :). Correct? because the other day I did notice alot of hair come out whilst showering, supose thats the dreaded shed :huh:.

Before that happened taking proscar really took my mind off this balding stuff, and i could really enjoy life, but after the what i think was the shed, i find my self looking at my hair line more again, hopefully i can stop doing this. :huh:

ive been on the stuff since may the 26th this year, so at the moment I must be at the worst stage! To back this up I must admit my hairline at the front has become incredibly thin....I have to look at this as a positive sign as the Proscar is working. However I am just concerned that these hairs at the front that are getting thinner will eventually go and be lost forever!? :)