Sign in to follow this  
Bengali-in-Platforms

Weight Training

Hi

Not sure if this question has been asked before, apologies if it has; Does anyone know if there is a an increased risk of hairloss when going to the gym? I read that testosterone levels are increased for up to 60 minutes after weight training.

I have started doing some weights to improve my fitness/physique but worried that this might lead to more loss. (What a cruel world, we can't even build our puny bodies up now!!!!)

Hairloss is genetic. Weight training, increasing cardio - will not effect your hair loss at all.

Hi Spex

What I was getting at was the incresed levels of Testosterone. Logically, it might make sense - as DHT levels would be increased. If you are losing hair anyway, an increase in the levels of your testosterone wouldn't be a good thing. Testostrone does not cause hairloss in itself, however is responsible for hairloss in people with a genetic disposition i.e.MPB.

Cheers

If you are going to lose your hair due to DHT then you are going to lose your hair. Going to the gym will hardly increase your loss i wouldn't have thought.

My understanding - and it's purely anecdotal - is that weight training causes a brief spike in testosterone levels, but it returns to baseline very quickly, so it's not at all significant for hair loss. Besides, I don't think that the relationship between T levels and DHT levels is directly proportional, and if you're taking Propecia anyway, there's absolutely no need to worry. I've also heard that very intensive cardio (i.e. not your normal 30 mins a few times a week, we're talking very large amounts) causes a general decline in sex hormone levels. However, there are such things as bald distance runners, so don't expect manic or prolonged cardio sessions to save your hair.