Sign in to follow this  
Scotty

Minoxidil (2nd Attempt)

Hi everyone,

I had used Minoxidil last summer and it caused my scalp to become very dry and itchy, which is obviously not good for hair growth. Has any of you had this problem also and if so is there anythin that can be done to stop the irritation and keep using the Minoxidil for benefit. Im also a little cautious of taking this and shedding and then having to stop cause of the irritation, hence i have lost more hair.

Please post your advice and experience with this?????

If you experienced a reaction to a minoxidil product, there are two possibilities -

1. you are sensitive to minoxidil itself

2. you are sensitive to one of the other ingredients in the formulation

Many people complain about propylene glycol in some minoxidil lotions, and alcohol could also be a factor. You might like to try the new Rogaine foam, which has no propylene glycol; I believe that Spectral DNC may also be propylene glycol-free.

hi scotty

i used minoxidil for 4 months and it made my scalp very sore and itchy,not to mention really bad dandruff

i had to stop using it as it drove me crazy.

i have been using minox foam for approx 4 months with none of the above symptoms.

i dont know if it is working as my bird is taking photos every month and i will have a look and compare at 6 months.

i purchase it from minoxidil-direct

hope this helps

hi scotty

i used minoxidil for 4 months and it made my scalp very sore and itchy,not to mention really bad dandruff

i had to stop using it as it drove me crazy.

i have been using minox foam for approx 4 months with none of the above symptoms.

i dont know if it is working as my bird is taking photos every month and i will have a look and compare at 6 months.

i purchase it from minoxidil-direct

hope this helps

Hi Big Mac,

Have u experienced any shedding with this, what is the address of the website you get it from and how much is it????

Heard better things about the faom in terms of less irritation - all the best Scotty. Let us know how you get on!

Hope all is well BigMac!!! B)

i have not experienced any shedding,the foam dries really quick and is much easier to apply.

i get it from www. minoxidil-direct.co.uk

it costs £40 for 4 cans,4 months supply

hi spex all is well, i will post my 6 months pictures in august to see if i have any regrowth

if no results it will be off to the big apple to see dr feller as i felt really comfortable with his

evaluation of my hairloss.

i would have liked to come to the september meeting but unfortunately i will be in vegas without the wife

me and 15 of my mates in vegas an opportunity i couldn`t miss

hope you and everyone else is ok and i will be a bit more active on the board as i have packed my job in

to spend more time with my toddler son

All good mate - the new openhous e/consult date is January mate - Hope you can make it!! PB and you can prop up the bar and put the HT world to rights....yet again :P

Used reg/min for over 4 years,i had dry, itchy, sore scalp and i would take a break from it for a week every couple of months, just to give my head a rest and a break from the twice a day routine.i have to say i was advised from those con men AHS to use it on the crown as a preventive mesure,now when i went to AHS i had no loss on/in the crown area,but by the time reg/min had finished shedding with me up there my hairloss was worse,i never ever grew it back :angry: .

Now that said i like Spex have heard good things about the foam,and i have even thought about giving the foam a go myself :blink:,to be honest it was Northwests photos that got me thinking about it,but then again i think what a mess it made last time :unsure:

Hi, I have recontinued using Kirkland's 5% Minoxidil and am experiencing the itchy, inflamed sensation that Scotty and Bigmac experienced. Next time I think I will switch to the foam (thanks for the feedback Bigmac) as its seems to be kinder to the scalp.

The thing is, I have some bottles of the 5% solution that I want to finish first. Does anyone know if its ok to add tap water to the 5% Minoxidil to dilute it's strength and more importantly the burning site effects? In Hindsight, I think that the 2% solution would have been the better choice. As it is, the 5% is just driving me bonkers and I don't think I can keep using it.

yes i will definately make january and will most likely stay,then i can prop pb against the bar all night.

no probs bal,i threw my kirkland stuff away as i would wake up during the night to scratch my head and

the dandruff was terrible.

the foam is dry within 5 mins and i can apply my concealer with no problems

Used reg/min for over 4 years,i had dry, itchy, sore scalp and i would take a break from it for a week every couple of months, just to give my head a rest and a break from the twice a day routine.i have to say i was advised from those con men AHS to use it on the crown as a preventive mesure,now when i went to AHS i had no loss on/in the crown area,but by the time reg/min had finished shedding with me up there my hairloss was worse,i never ever grew it back :angry: .

Now that said i like Spex have heard good things about the foam,and i have even thought about giving the foam a go myself :blink:,to be honest it was Northwests photos that got me thinking about it,but then again i think what a mess it made last time :unsure:

This worries me as Im pretty certain the Minoxidil solution made my crown worse, how can I be sure the foan will not make my crown worse again, these decisions are really hard to make, i am very tempted to use the foam but it is still the practically the same as the minox solution so sure the same result will happen?????????

not sure scotty,everyone reacts differently,some have results others nothing changes and others like pb can have accelarated loss.its a gamble but in my opinion its worth taking

no probs bal,i threw my kirkland stuff away as i would wake up during the night to scratch my head and

the dandruff was terrible. the foam is dry within 5 mins and i can apply my concealer with no problems

Yeah your right.. the kirkland solution is a total waste of time. I'm going to try the foam but I think I'll give my scalp a little rest first :angry:. Scotty, I'll be careful going back to Minox. I'm only intending to use it for a few months and am only going to apply it to my front which only has transplanted hair so theres no risk of permanent loss, though I could have a major temp shed when I stop.

the dandruff was terrible. the foam is dry within 5 mins and i can apply my concealer with no problems

Yeah your right.. the kirkland solution is a total waste of time. I'm going to try the foam but I think I'll give my scalp a little rest first :angry:. Scotty, I'll be careful going back to Minox. I'm only intending to use it for a few months and am only going to apply it to my front which only has transplanted hair so theres no risk of permanent loss, though I could have a major temp shed when I stop.

Im thinkin of trying the foam it seems to have positive feedback, has any1 heard of their hairloss becoming worse and permanent when using the foam, ive just order 4 months supply.

My crown has got a lot thinner and it is becoming harder to disguise, if this stuff just makes my hair go even thinner then im in big trouble, i will have no option but to shave it??????

i`ve heard nothing bad about it but it is still relatively new

The balance of the reviews on other forums seems generally positive. I tried the foam and found that it dries quickly and smells ok (like cheap shaving foam) I only gave up because of the hassle of twice daily applications. The initial shedding phase (for the first two weeks of use) was also quite a shock. My major problem with minoxidil in all its varieties is that it just isn't that effective. I believe that while 80% of men "maintain" on minoxidil (although its a temporary illusion - the underlying balding process continues) only about a fifth to a third of users see noticeable regrowth. Those figures were cited on various forums, plus a BBC R4 programme. What's more, any regrowth you do see is usually limited to vellus hairs of short length. It seems like a lot of effort for a small reward.

The balance of the reviews on other forums seems generally positive. I tried the foam and found that it dries quickly and smells ok (like cheap shaving foam) I only gave up because of the hassle of twice daily applications. The initial shedding phase (for the first two weeks of use) was also quite a shock. My major problem with minoxidil in all its varieties is that it just isn't that effective. I believe that while 80% of men "maintain" on minoxidil (although its a temporary illusion - the underlying balding process continues) only about a fifth to a third of users see noticeable regrowth. Those figures were cited on various forums, plus a BBC R4 programme. What's more, any regrowth you do see is usually limited to vellus hairs of short length. It seems like a lot of effort for a small reward.

I have been reading reviews on this foam, many people have experienced heavy shedding and this alarms me. I know sheding is meant to show new hairs coming in. There is the rsik of hairs shedding and not coming back in with continual use of the foam................my point is the foam may just accelerate out hairloss to a point it would be a few years down the line, hence we are losing hair faster. I am at the point where i can still conceal my loss applying Toppik and i also use Proscar............my dilemma is not knowing if this foam will make my hiarloss improve or just push my loss to a point in which i fear greatly

What happens you stop using the foam, ive read an article that ur hairloss will accelerate, does this mean once you start using the foam you cant stop??????????

Im very concerned of shedding hair and no new growth comes back ie balding gets worse only with foam. Does this happen or is it worth trying out in the thought that our loss wont get worse????

A bit stressed here as not knowing what to do

What happens you stop using the foam, ive read an article that ur hairloss will accelerate, does this mean once you start using the foam you cant stop??????????

Im very concerned of shedding hair and no new growth comes back ie balding gets worse only with foam. Does this happen or is it worth trying out in the thought that our loss wont get worse????

If you want to keep the 'gains' from the foam, you have to continue its use indefinitely. I know that you lose all your 'gains' from Propecia within 12 months if you stop taking it. I imagine a similar timescale applies if you stop using minoxidil.

If you want to keep the 'gains' from the foam, you have to continue its use indefinitely. I know that you lose all your 'gains' from Propecia within 12 months if you stop taking it. I imagine a similar timescale applies if you stop using minoxidil.

I would be willing to do this if it worked im just very concerned of the hir sheding and no new growth comes through?

Also it has only to be used on the crown, what effects will it have when having a shower wouldnt the solution run through all the hair and affect all hair making it shed in places you dont want it to??????

You can use minoxidil anywhere on the scalp, Upjohn (the original manufacturer) only tested it at the crown hence the literature is restricted from commenting about its effectiveness elsewhere.

See - http://www.stophairlossnow.co.uk/Rogaine_News.htm

As for the solution running over other areas of your head, you're supposed to let it dry well before taking a shower. In fact, you should let it stay on your scalp for at least 4 hours.

Hair loss from minoxidil is supposed to be temporary, however PB reckons that he lost a lot and never regrew it.

My loss at the crown has got a hell of a lot thinner, before i started the Proscar i could still cover my hair with other hairs now its impossible. Without the use of Toppik i would have had to shave it off, its so embarrassing. Every time i look in the mirror each day i get so frustrated and angry with this shitty look.

I've just started applying the Rogaine Foam and im feeling slightly itchy, it stings a little when i apply, i dunno whether to stop or ride it out.

if my hair doesnt improve soon im shaving it all off, i dont have a choice. i dread this day my confidence is bad enough just now.....I seriously think the proscar has done nothing to help and its made it worse at the crown

Hey Scotty...Chill dear..plzzz don't go for a shave :o ...Be positive.. :)

I have seen my fiance, losing confidence and self esteem due to heavy hair loss at the crown.. :( But, trust me, our patience really paid off..He went for some hair loss herbal treatment..Though he was not sure before using it, but it really do work for him... :)

Plzz don't go for such a drastic step like shaving...Don't be a loser buddy...Fight..! Good Luck... :)