Sign in to follow this  
steveyd

Ny Accommodation

Hey guys,

Just been catching up on all the posts. I finally have my op booked with Dr Feller at the end of Sept, and was hoping for some recommendations of where to stay. Just somewhere cheap and close would be great!

I have a notorious history of leaving stuff to the last minute and can see myself kipping on a bench in central park if I'm not careful...!

Cheers guys and hope yer all well!!!

S

That's brilliant - thanks Spex

Great travel info courtesy of BadHairUK, although bit worried about that taxi rip-off from the airport! $100 for a 14mile ride? Anyone else been ripped off by the taxis, and what's the best way to get round it?

I'm a complete wimp with stuff like that!

For some strange reason no taxi drivers seem to know where the hotel is :blink: This is the problem.

Problem solved :)

Print this off and take it with you ;) Show it to the driver before agreeing to go with him and agree a fixed price :) Get in a Yellow cab not a private car.

Print this off!!!

http://maps.yahoo.com/maps_result?q1=+75+N...C+NY+11021-4717

Great Neck and The Andrews Hotel

I stayed at the Andrew - it was great. I planned to move to another hotel after my surgery but decided to stay at the Andrew. Remember to ask for the Feller Medical discount - I paid $169 / night, it would be way over $200 without the discount.

You should be OK if you get a yellow cab and have that map and The Andrew address printed out. I haven't had any problems with any of the cab drivers, the guy got lost in Great Neck but didn't try and rip me off.

Hi,

I stayed at the Royal inn which is 1177 nrthrn blvd, Dr Feller is 287 nrthrn blvd, so its about 5 mins absolute max in a taxi. Its motel style. $100/night. You can phone the Inn from the airport and they have a cab company called 'friendly' or something like that which they deal with and its $44 for one person to the hotel from JFK

When there. Bus ride is 15-20 mins to Flushing, where you catch the tube to Times Square which then takes 15 mins, I based Times square as central, and everything in New York is in easy distance from there. Or you could get bus to great neck railway and go NYC from there. Buses are $2 max no matter where you go or you can get a days metrocard for $7 (they dont sell these on buses) and you can go on any tube/bus anywhere.

Oh and if you do go on a bus, make sure you have $2 in coins as they dont accept notes.

Hi Steve.

If you decide on the Andrew.... here's a map marked 'H' where the Andrew Hotel is and 'F' where Feller Medical is... think PB said 20mins to walk there from the hotel.

IPB Image

BTW... I was well prepared...I had a map! The taxi driver just said as soon as we entered Queens... your fee's just doubled! It was a Yellow cab.. the guy was just a piss taker. You know its a $50-$60 ride so tell them you have been there a few times before by Yellow cab and it was $50. That way they want double it.

When you go to Feller medical... This is what it looks like on the outside.. (PB supplied the pic which was very useful to me)

IPB Image

....up the stairs in the lift and 2nd floor.. and right turn to the end of the corridor... and then u just need to knock!

All the best.. ;)

the scale of that map looks completely wrong, and there is no northern boulevard?

Northern Blvd is marked in yellow, bottom right corner...

the scale of that map looks completely wrong, and there is no northern boulevard?

What I mean is that Feller Med is on Nthrn blvd, ib that map its not :blink: and the scale shows about 250m from andrew to feller, is that right?

What I mean is that Feller Med is on Nthrn blvd, ib that map its not :blink: and the scale shows about 250m from andrew to feller, is that right?

1664... I just edited the map... it wasnt marked in the right place... but should be ok now? :unsure:

1664... I just edited the map... it wasnt marked in the right place... but should be ok now? :unsure:

all good now :)

Hey guys,

Thanks for all your responses. Just got back from a weekend away and reading through them all now. Andrews sound like the obvious choice, but I might enquire about the Royal Inn after 1664's advice - especially as it's half the price! So the area is reasonably close to all the bright lights of New York as well? I'm thinking of going down a couple of days earlier as I've never been to NY before and would like to make the most of it. Although I'm obviously not allowed to drink before the op, so obv not entirely 'make the most of it' ;)

As for my op, I'll be having around 1800 strip to my hairline, which was Dr Feller's estimate at the London hotel meet earlier this year. I'll hopefully have some pics to post in due course! :)

I also got a new hair cut 2 months ago from a proper stylist, and I have to say, that did solve a big part of my problem. Much less maintenance and looks much, much better - it's amazing how important the right cut is I suppose. With that and the magic of Dr Feller, I am very optimistic now for the future.

Btw - did anyone read the Sunday Mirror on Sunday just gone? In the magazine supplement, one of the art editors had an op with Dr Rogers and there was a big feature on it, with photos of his op. I don't have a scanner but can send it to someone if they want to post it? It doesnt say anything new, but is interesting nonetheless.

Take care guys!!!

S

Hi guys,

I finally spoke to both the Andrew and Royal Inn, and must say my findings are quite different. The Andrew is already fully booked for the dates I requested, whereas the Royal Inn insist I don't even need to book a room with them until 2 weeks before my stay, as "they always have loads of rooms". They are also half the price of the Andrew!

Must admit, it seems quite a surprising difference, but the Royal Inn it is then! Although not sure I want to take the risk of booking just 2 weeks before my op.

I'm guessing the Alex must be much more of a 'holidaymakers' place?

S

Hi guys,

I finally spoke to both the Andrew and Royal Inn, and must say my findings are quite different. The Andrew is already fully booked for the dates I requested, whereas the Royal Inn insist I don't even need to book a room with them until 2 weeks before my stay, as "they always have loads of rooms". They are also half the price of the Andrew!

Must admit, it seems quite a surprising difference, but the Royal Inn it is then! Although not sure I want to take the risk of booking just 2 weeks before my op.

S

The Royal Inn told me I didnt even need to book, just turn up :lol: , as they would have planty of rooms :D

The royal inn is a motel, which is similar to what you see in the movies. You have all you need, double bed, shower, air con, cable, ice machine, even vending machines that sell tylenol:) you get a breakfast, which is either bagels donuts or cakes :blink: but that seems to be what everyone has for brekkie. There is a macy's directly opposite aswell. The N20/21 bus to flushing stops just outside. Good luck with your trip fella :)

Hi guys,

S

The Royal Inn told me I didnt even need to book, just turn up :lol: , as they would have planty of rooms :D

The royal inn is a motel, which is similar to what you see in the movies. You have all you need, double bed, shower, air con, cable, ice machine, even vending machines that sell tylenol:) you get a breakfast, which is either bagels donuts or cakes :blink: but that seems to be what everyone has for brekkie. There is a macy's directly opposite aswell. The N20/21 bus to flushing stops just outside. Good luck with your trip fella :)

1664... Good info there and does sound good! Air con is 'cool' as well.. just what you need as well as donuts! B)

Steve, can u do us a favour please! when you get there can you take some pictures of the outside of the motel and inside the room? it really helps to let anyone else interested in booking there a real impression on how it looks.

Cheers and good luck.

:)

BadhairdayUK - no problemo RE the photos! :)

1664 - like a motel in the movies you say? the only movie motel that springs to mind is Psycho. It's not run by a Master Bates is it...? :o :ph34r:

seriously though, did you not even bother to book? you just turned up and it was all okay?

oh, another question - I was told some people prefer to pay by cash rather than in advance by card if the exchange rates are better (this is for the op, not the hotel). Wouldn't the exchange rate be the same, regardless of whether I paid by card or by cash? Or am I being a bit thicko...?

BadhairdayUK - no problemo RE the photos! :)

1664 - like a motel in the movies you say? the only movie motel that springs to mind is Psycho. It's not run by a Master Bates is it...? :o :ph34r:

seriously though, did you not even bother to book? you just turned up and it was all okay?

oh, another question - I was told some people prefer to pay by cash rather than in advance by card if the exchange rates are better (this is for the op, not the hotel). Wouldn't the exchange rate be the same, regardless of whether I paid by card or by cash? Or am I being a bit thicko...?

LOL... I thought the same about the movies... there's a film called 'Joy Ride' witha truck driver called Rusty Nail... scared the pants off me! lol

I think thats unlikey to be quite as bad as that tho..lol it sounds good value..and you have been recommended so all good! one thing you do want is a very clean room after an operation! No cockroaches or turd stains on the bed sheets.

The money thing... exchange rates change daily.. so it all depends when u exchange your money or paying by your card? (on the day u make the transaction)

Good luck with what u decide...cheers for helping with those motel pics.. ;) sounds good.

thanks for the map bhuk :) i booked the andrews in advance and they have been very helpful. i plan to walk up there the day before and scout it out with the quickest route :)

download google earth and type in the address of both andrews and fellers :D

None of the hotels I stayed in actually charged my credit card in advance. You have to give them a credit card number to secure the reservation but they won't charge it until you check out. I paid cash for my hotels but had to give them a credit card. They require the credit card for security reasons, like if you trash the room while you're there :P

Here's a picture of me just outside Great Neck railway station. If you come out on the New York side (one track goes into Manhattan (New York) and the other goes to Port something...) and go onto the road, The Andrew is just on the other side of the road. You can walk along the platform and come out directily opposite The Andrew but this picture was taken if you come out where the station house is.

post-219-1182423879_thumb.jpg

You can actually walk there in just over 10 mins taking this route marked in red:

post-219-1182424533_thumb.jpg

...but there is the risk of getting lost. If you stick to the main roads Middle Neck Rd and walk up to the crossing at Northern Boulevard, it takes about 20 mins to walk.

If you've got time, check the route marked in red as it goes through a posh area and you can have a look at how the rich live in Great Neck and if you have a few million to spare you could buy a house there and rent it out to HT patients :D

BadHairUK is a HT veteran with a butchering from the Nobel clinic in the UK and repair work by Dr Feller <_<

BadHairUK - Royal Inn has a website which has a few vague-ish pics of the place. Should keep you ticking over until I get there with a camera! ;)

http://www.netconnections.ws/xo/royal/

Have you had/booked an op yet, or still in the 'imminent' stage?

Thanks Steve, as PB mentioned... I had my 1st HT experience some time ago and now been repaired by Dr Feller.. all the best with your own and that hotel looks surprisingly good value and for a short stay, is all you need by the looks of it. Keep us in the loop!

:)

Steveyd, If you stay at the Royal it would be great if you could take some comprehensive pics like BHUK did for the Andrews and also give it a review. :)

All the best with your session!

None of the hotels I stayed in actually charged my credit card in advance. You have to give them a credit card number to secure the reservation but they won't charge it until you check out. I paid cash for my hotels but had to give them a credit card. They require the credit card for security reasons, like if you trash the room while you're there :P

Here's a picture of me just outside Great Neck railway station. If you come out on the New York side (one track goes into Manhattan (New York) and the other goes to Port something...) and go onto the road, The Andrew is just on the other side of the road. You can walk along the platform and come out directily opposite The Andrew but this picture was taken if you come out where the station house is.

post-219-1182423879_thumb.jpg

You can actually walk there in just over 10 mins taking this route marked in red:

post-219-1182424533_thumb.jpg

...but there is the risk of getting lost. If you stick to the main roads Middle Neck Rd and walk up to the crossing at Northern Boulevard, it takes about 20 mins to walk.

If you've got time, check the route marked in red as it goes through a posh area and you can have a look at how the rich live in Great Neck and if you have a few million to spare you could buy a house there and rent it out to HT patients :D

That map of the short cut is brilliant PB. I tried to cut through the housing development but ended up getting lost <_< Next time i will take your map :)