Sign in to follow this  
hair please

Advice On The Basics Please :)

Hi all,

I really could do with some help. Looks like a great forum, so I am hoping for the knowledge of others. My hair has been thinning for years. From the crown and the temples – typical signs of male pattern baldness. My dad is pretty much bald, and my mum has a thin hair strand (though not really noticeable) so either way it’s coming to me :(

I spoke to my GP about this issue some time ago, and I started with the Regain topical solution. Not knowing if this is working or not, I continue to use it – just in case it actually is , and if I stopped it might make the hair loss worse! Eeek In between the initial use of this and now, I have suffered a serious illness, and consequently I pass a lot of protein in my urine, again this harldy helps hair growth :( .

My hair really does fluctuate in it’s appearance and texture. When washed it is REALLY dry! When I have been asleep or out for an evening it is VERY greasy (I’m pretty clean and hygienic), it also suffers from dandruff spouts! :S

So I currently use Regain 5% (as daily as possible) , and hair thickening shampoos (once every other day) , the best I have found is: NISM. Though I am looking to change my remedies and require any help/support.

The BIG 3 is something I am looking into. I am inspired by northwest's post with his pics (here)

1.As I currently use the regaine solution, I have just noticed the Regain Mouse, and was thinking this may be easier to apply and control.

2.Finesteride :( – unfortunately I am not allowed to take any medication by tablet form as I am on enough medication So that’s out of the question.

3.Nizoral – so this is a shampoo only to be used 2 times a week max?

If that is the case – should I use my NISM shampoo daily, and then when scheduled try the Nizoral. Then I could also use MSM maybe? (what is that?)

Reading back – I guess it wouldn’t be that much of a change, as basically it is a different application of Regaine, and similar shampoos. Though I think trying the anti – dandruff one and perhaps the MSM. I would also welcome any mutli-vitamins if they help?

I must point out, that I have increased hair growth on my back, which we think has happened due to the medication I am currently on (which includes steroids) it’s typical isn’t it? I want hair on my head – not on my back! :(

Sorry for the long winded post, but I really would like some inputs. I’d like to order the new mouse stuff from Regain today, as I am due a new batch – where is best in the UK to get it?

Thanks everyone!

Firstly welcome Hair Please to the forum!

OK right your questions

Firstly you need to decide how much your hair loss is going to affect

your quality of life, because treating it will be a life long fight, and from

the sound of your post you have other maybe more important medical

issues??? I don't know that's your business of course

but you basically have two options, try to prevent the hair loss problem

getting any worse with yes the "Big 3" and well from my opinion that

has to have Finasteride or maybe Dustasteride, but well as you may know

that's not yet approved as a hair loss treatment, I really don't see anybody that

has managed to make a difference with rogaine alone!, you hair is falling out because

your hair follicles are becoming sensitive to DHT this hormone for some ungodly

reason causes the loss, so you have to treat the root cause and that's to lower DHT

in the body of course the ideal solution would be a little pill that stopped the hair

follicles from reacting to DHT but well this is in our dreams right now.

Is Finasteride really no no for you? have you spoken to your GP he

will be able to advise you if it would be OK to combine with your current

medication.

There is also the possibility of a Hair Transplant but I know there are people

here more qualified to help you with any questions about that

With regards to the Rogaine foam its only available officially in the USA at

the moment but www.minoxidil-direct.co.uk will supply you with it to the

UK normally take about 5 working days to arrive

I use Nizoral one day on two days off, but if you find it's causing irratation

maybe use it less, this is for the 1% version there is also a stronger 2%

version but that persritcion only.

You have seen my post so that will show you what else I use as part

of my own regime. they may help you too!

have read here about msm www.treelight.com/health/nutrition/MSM.html

also it wont hurt your health to take a good multi vit with biotin in it have a

look here for that en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Biotin

Hope that helps abit

Northwest.

Thanks for the reply. It's assuring that it is all working for someone, and yougive us hope! :D. I know this is and has been an issue with me for sometime. You're right with my condition and illness though - it soon didn't become as important, yet I can't help but feel lacking in confidence for LOTS of reasons now, and hair loss just tops it all off. It is coming to the point of being teased at work and stuff now, and it seems to put an extra amount of stress on everything. I know it will happen one day and I accept that ( I really do) though I am still young and want to feel confident in my approach to the opposite sex. Anyway, enough of the ramble.

Finasteride - is this the tablet that contains propecia? where do you get it from? is it prescribed? ***IF*** it was the tablet that contains the propecia, then Iwas not allowed to use it :( Saying that though, I don't think I should have been using rogaine as it was not to be used with high blood pressure, but I did still use it off and on. I can only ask once more and see what they say, it's just unfortunate that my medications are becoming more important at the moment, so I think they will say no :(

Hair Transplant, yeah, though a lot of worries with that: gettign a good job, cost, time it takes to do, being 'discreet' etc....I could always take 6months sick pay, and then jet off to teh states....but don't think that would go down too well when I return more radiant than ever! heh I'd never do that anyway, I have worked as much as I can through my illness.

That place looks good for the rogaine foam. That must be where you get it from is it? The price seems good. How easy is it to apply? Is it messy? I rarely have time in the mornign to apply rogaine, as it makes my hair all wet - once it's wet it obviously looks thinner! So I try not to go out the house with it wet etc. I get the impression the foam will dry out quicker for some reason?

Nizoral, why do people use this? what does it actually do? I know not to use it too much and would just use it once or twice a week. Again, where is the best place to buy it?

I will re-read your post and look at the links you recommend. I need sleep at the moment! lots on, making things more stressful and not helping! D'OH! lol

Thanks northwest and anyone else that would like to throw in their 2pence?

Cheers :)

Welcome Hair Please,

yet I can't help but feel lacking in confidence for LOTS of reasons now, and hair loss just tops it all off. It is coming to the point of being teased at work and stuff now, and it seems to put an extra amount of stress on everything.

I've been there my friend, as I know lots of people on this site have been. If the teasing gets bad, try taking the 'few' offending parties aside and telling them that it really is a sore subject and you'd appreciate it if they would stop mentioning it. Obviously, only do this if they are the type of people that only joke around because they don't know it bothers you so much, if they're just arseholes then don't say anything to them, as they will probably get worse - if this is the case then you'll just have to rise above it.

Hair Transplant, yeah, though a lot of worries with that: gettign a good job, cost, time it takes to do, being 'discreet' etc...

Yeah, a hair transplant is a big choice. I would say that this all depends how bad you feel about your hair loss. If it is something that is really affecting you, i.e. no confidence, excess worry, depression etc. then I think a 'good' hair transplant would do you the world of good. However, it does involve a big commitment, as you won't get a good transplant in this country, meaning you’ll have to travel. It will also cost you a large sum of money (although so do meds over a long enough time period) and there is the waiting game after the procedure, which can take many months before results start to look good. If this is something that you are considering then feel free to read my experiences (below in my signature) or click on the transplant portion of this forum, where you will find lots of people talking about their experiences.

Please, only consider this option though if you have fully researched it, as once you take the plunge, there is no turning back.

Nizoral, why do people use this? what does it actually do? I know not to use it too much and would just use it once or twice a week. Again, where is the best place to buy it?

I started using Nizoral long before I realised that it helped fight hair loss. Basically, I have very sensitive skin which easily becomes irritated. One of the side effects of this, for me, is a flaky scalp. I tried many specific shampoo's for this problem (T-Gel, Head and Shoulders etc.) but the only one I found to be any good was Nizoral. I use it once a week, or twice if I get a really bad irritation attack.

I know what you mean about the confidence mate, I got it all too

at work teasing etc I am only 27 and single so yes it was a big blow

to me aswell, the thing that really did it to me was when I was out in a club

trying to chat up a girl from my old collage and she asked what had happend

to t :rolleyes: my hair :o that was a kick to the confidence, and I thought right I

will do everything in my power to get my hair back, I was tempted to just shave it off

but my friend has done the same thing and I didnt want to go around looking like the pair

from Right Said Fred :D so as you know i had abit of luck from the drugs maybe in a year

or two a HT will be a option or they will have a cure to the problem <_<

Finasteride is the drug thats inside Propecia, so if they told you Propecia is a no no

than that's all pills that contain Finasteride like propecia/proscar/finpecia/fincar etc

, It might be worth contacting Dr Ashcroft for chat about your options if you tell him

the meds your on he might beable to offer a solution you can get his details here

http://www.hairlosshelp.com/websites/spex/ he is a uk GP with hairloss so he's very

well up on the treatments, And wont charge you for advice

With regards to the Rogaine foam, it's really good to use you will find it much easer

to use twice a day it will dry within about 20mins and no grease :) , yeah I get if from the site

I showed you,

The Nizarol, have a read here http://www.hairlosstalk.com/newsletter/article253.htm

I started to use it after hearing about it from spex's website, it wont do any harm

and i would start using it asap along with the rogaine foam, and then maybe in the future

you will beable to add Propecia , also take the msm everyday you can get that from

http://www.revital.co.uk/Lamberts_MSM I take 2000mg also I take a cheap tesco

multivit and mineral tablet there like 79p for 30 but they do have Biotin which

also helps hair growth i hear.

Northwest

hey, just wanted to say a massive thanks guys!

it's not so much good to know there are people in my position, but it's nice to know people that understand it. the teasing annoys me, as I am a pretty friendly chap, and I need to approach these people for technical support in my job. not only do they on mass always outsmart me with a load of technical crap, they always mention my hair these days - which is a shame as they are really quite nice people on their own. I tend not to get personal when it comes to joking around, as I know how it feels. Consequently the guys taking the piss are actually bald! Anyway I may say to them about it. If they push it again, I'd like to approach their boss, but I think overall that would just cause more embarrasment. At least at the end of the day I have a good personality.

As for the girls - I too, am 27. I do have offers from girls, but never the ones I want, and I'm becoming increasingly more shy due to my hair and other physicalities with my appearance. It totaly sucks and I think we are way too young for all this crap. My job is increasingly more stressful and it's not necessary. Then other times I look at people with severe problems, and think how dare I be so ungrateful. Perhaps it is more psychological in the long run - I know that's what GP's talk about when I go to visit them.

Anyway, I'm rambling - I'll get my stuff ordered up tonight / soon!

Thanks guys - you're all cool :D :P

Then other times I look at people with severe problems, and think how dare I be so ungrateful.

That is true, but when people stub there toe, they don't think thank God I'm not starving to death, they think, shit my toe hurts! Don't beat yourself up for feeling down, it doesn't make you ungrateful at all. Yes there are people worse off than us, but then there are also those who are far better off.

Anyway, I really hope things work out for you pal.