Sign in to follow this  
GasMan

Tri-closure Using Staples

Hi all, just a basic question regarding the tri-closure using staples. How long is it you need to leave them in? Did anyone leave them in longer, or take them out sooner than advised?

Im assuming there is a danger that if you take the staples out to soon the scar will stretch?

Finally, and dont laugh...... Do the staples set off the metal detectors at airport security. ;)

Hi all, just a basic question regarding the tri-closure using staples. How long is it you need to leave them in? Did anyone leave them in longer, or take them out sooner than advised?

Im assuming there is a danger that if you take the staples out to soon the scar will stretch?

The day for my staple removal (day 10) fell on a Saturday, so I had to wait as I wanted the nurse at my local GP to take them out. This means that I had them in for an extra two nights, but it was no big deal. There is no problem with leaving them in longer that I'm aware of (look at Bal, he's had them in for months now), but I personally wouldn't take them out sooner than recommended. I've heard that you can get them removed on day nine or eight at a push, but I wouldn't chance it.

Finally, and dont laugh...... Do the staples set off the metal detectors at airport security. ;)

Don't worry mate, it's a good question. I walked through the metal detectors and they went off the first time. I then removed the money in my pocket and walked through a second time and they didn't go off at all - so I'm assuming it was the lose coins that did it. Although, my brother walked through with his money and it didn't go off at all! For me, it didn't really matter if I had to remove my hat, as it was perched so high on my head (so as not to touch the grafts) that everybody could see my staples anyway! I was so tired that I didn't really care though, it's not as if I was ever going to see those people again!

BAL has his staples cycled though so skin doesn't have chance to grow over the staples. I had stitches last time and by 9 days post-op skin was already growing over the stitches so I think if staples were left in for two weeks, there might be problems. Some of my stitches unravelled at around 5 days (you don't have that problem with staples) but the scar had already healed by then and the area didn't stretch - skin heals suprisingly quickly.

BAL has his staples cycled though so skin doesn't have chance to grow over the staples.

I didn't realise that, but it makes sense.

My stitches with the H******* ***** started coming undone on the second day, luckily when I had them checked out by my GP, I was told that I was fine. I thought it was because I was a quick healer, but I guess you're right when you say skin just heals quickly.

I had no problems with my staples. My skin didn't grow over them, and I had them in an extra two nights.

The reason behind the frequent cycling of staples is because if you leave the old ones in for a long time, you'll get serious skin irritation and infection from the metal. Therefore I wouldn't recommend leaving the staples in for longer than the usual 10-14 days. Trust me, you won't be wanting to prolong the experience!

QUOTE(GasMan @ Mar 25 2007, 09:46 AM)

Finally, and dont laugh...... Do the staples set off the metal detectors at airport security.

Mate - that question gets asked all the time! The staples do not set off the security machine ;)

Little tip from Martin1:

Airport Security

The best way to do it is to make sure there is nothing on you to slow down your smooth passage through security. Remove all items such as watch, keys, change, bangels, chains, ...anything that could cause a bleep..

As you walk through remove your cap casually and calmly. They will not specifically be looking at you head at all... you will be ultra paranoid They will maybe glance and then once your through that vital 10 secs just casually pop the hat back on.

You will never ever see the sercurity guy again so who gives if he suspects..and the people behind you will be too stressed out taking all their crap off and sticking into the machine for scanning.

Another alternative is you can always ask for a private room........ but to be honest , just not needed!!

Best leave the Staples in 10 days - you will want them out on day 3 ... :huh: There is no benefit really from leaving them in longer than 10 days especially on a virgin scalp :)

The very last security desk when arriving back home I had to pass at Heathrow the guy asked me to remove my cap.. I told him quiety I had just had surgery and could I have a private room as there were 100+ people behind me, and he just looked at my passport pic again and back at me said ok you can go through...that was music to my ears! I didnt take my hat off when passing thru the metal detectors.. and none of the security guys were bothered about it.. another good thing. The only other time is when I arrived pre-op at JFK and they take your pic at security which was a bit crappy as I was sporting a very dodgy UK ht.. I bet that picture was a sore sight.

But mostly... its no problem passing security and this was quite worrying if your not used to travelling like me.

I am planning on staying in the US for a couple of weeks, so hopefully they will be able to remove my staples at Feller Medical before I fly home...

Spex, will they remove them for me if I call in before flying home?

They can gag me and strap me to a chair to prevent people in the other offices hearing all the screaming :D

No my staples never set off the alarm ;)

I was surprised when going through the metal detectors because i had to practically strip off but they never told me to remove my hat :blink: lucky escape i guess.

Spex, will they remove them for me if I call in before flying home?

No mate - you need to take your own crowbar with you... ;)

Of course the best thing is to arrange an appointment at the time of your session. Speak to Marcy when you arrive as you might forget at the end of the session with everything going on.

Finally, and dont laugh...... Do the staples set off the metal detectors at airport security.

I wondered exactly the same thing :P But several people have commented that they don't :)