Sign in to follow this  
Spuraman

Proscar? Uummm

My Dad found this and it doesnt sound good. Im not sure if i should carry on taking it. I havent had any side effects and i have been on it since November 2005.

http://www.isecureonline.com/Reports/NAH/W600H302/

Could today's top prostate drug actually be

CANCER

FERTILIZER?

That's what new research suggests!

But Dr. Wright's prostate breakthrough

fights more than swelling.

It's a powerful weapon against cancer too...

PROSTATE DRUGS can flatten your sex life, but at least they're good for your prostate...right?

Are you sitting down? Researchers at the University of Southern California recently tested this assumption, and the results couldn't have been more alarming.

As recorded in the

British Journal of Cancer,

they studied 52 men

with high PSA...

First they gave the men baseline biopsies to make sure there were no signs of cancer...

Then they gave 27 of the men a one-year course of finasteride (Proscar®), the standard drug for benign prostate problems. The other 25 were given nothing.

When the year was up, researchers gave each man a

second biopsy. Guess what they found?

Nearly 30% of the men

taking Proscar®

DEVELOPED

PROSTATE TUMORS

Yet tumors were found in only one of the 25 men taking nothing. Which raises the obvious question...

HOW CAN THIS BE? How could our 'best' prostate drugs turn out to be cancer fertilizer?

The reason is more

alarming still...

As Dr. Wright told his readers years ago, these drugs are literally turning men into women.

You see, Proscar® works by blocking the normal 'pathway' of your testosterone. Ordinarily, some of your testosterone turns into a slightly different hormone, called DHT (dihydrotestosterone)...and swollen prostates often contain high levels of DHT. So drug firms assumed DHT was causing the trouble.

They developed powerful drugs like Proscar® to suppress DHT production. Sound like a good idea? Maybe, until you consider what else happens when you block this process. When your body can't make DHT...

Lots of testosterone turns into

ESTROGEN!

Yes, estrogen! The female hormone! Now, scientists have known for decades that the human body creates estrogen out of testosterone. (That's how women's bodies make it.) And a little estrogen is normal in men. But when a man's estrogen ratio gets too high...

The entire male edifice crumbles

Your erections wilt, your libido sinks, you can develop a form of diabetes, your heart risk rockets...

Is it really any wonder you're more likely to get cancer too?

Yet drug firms continue to make billions selling these stealth sex change pills. Even though Dr. Wright has pioneered a much more powerful way to...

TURN OFF your prostate swelling

and TURN ON your

cancer-fighting genes!

You'll find Dr. Wright's famous program for ending benign prostate swelling in your FREE BONUS Library of Food and Vitamin Cures. It's breathtakingly simple. As you'll see...

This doesn't surprise me <_< And I bet Merck already knew this... unfavourable results are omitted while favourable ones are included when drug companies carry out studies on their own meds. I'm glad I didn't take it for more than a couple of weeks :blink:

<sarcasm>

---- Or maybe the robust scientific testing methods didn't include testing for tumours <_<

</sarcasm>

I havent had any side effects and i have been on it since November 2005.

Cancer can develop for years, if not decades, without any symptoms :ph34r:

This doesn't surprise me <_< And I bet Merck already knew this... unfavourable results are omitted while favourable ones are included when drug companies carry out studies on their own meds. I'm glad I didn't take it for more than a couple of weeks :blink:

Major studies like the Propecia five year trial are published in reputable peer-reviewed journals. While even peer reviewed journals can contain errors, it is the gold standard for scientific method. Besides, manipulating research data exposes a company to the threat of litigation and commercial disaster. If you simply don't trust any drug-company research, presumably you never take any medicines at all, ever!

If your basis for saying Finasteride is unsafe is simply "because all drug companies are only interested in profits" then that's not only intellectually lazy, but highly irresponsible to potential users. If you have a reasonably logical and coherent theory why Fin might be unsafe, then that's different, but you have to back that up with some evidence.

Or maybe the robust scientific testing methods didn't include testing for tumours <_<

</sarcasm>

Yes they did. In a 7 year study of 19,000 men on Proscar, the number of men who developed cancer in the treatment g-r-o-u-p was lower than in the placebo g-r-o-u-p.

If you simply don't trust any drug-company research, presumably you never take any medicines at all, ever!

I have taken medicines in the past, but not any more - the sides from most medicines are often worse than the actual ailment they are supposed to cure (eg. statins).

Yes they did. In a 7 year study of 19,000 men on Proscar, the number of men who developed cancer in the treatment g-r-o-u-p was lower than in the placebo g-r-o-u-p.

I don't know what the truth is, I found this but haven't actually been able to find a copy of Volume 78 on-line (any link I found comes up with an error :unsure: ). Strangly the first available free on-line volume is Jan 1999 and the one referred to here is the end of 1998. So, I haven't found any hard proof that this study actually exists. Maybe this is just a scam to promote alternative snake oils.

Finasteride Causes Almost 800% More Prostate Cancer!

Now we find out just how much worse you end up. A study done by the famous Norris Cancer Center at the University of Southern California (British Journal of Cancer, vol. 78 in 1998) studied 52 real men with BPH. The Norris Cancer Institute is a very allopathically oriented organization that is most reluctant to criticize traditional medicine like this. The study occurred over five years ago, yet the media never covered it and this is the only place you're ever going to read about it. Why didn't the 6:00 news, your favorite magazines, the newspapers and television shows tell you about this most important study? Your doctor does not know about it, and won't read it if you give it to him. This was a classic double blind study where half the men were given a mere 5 mg of finasteride and half were given placebos (sugar pills). This study was reviewed and approved by the University of Southern California, School of Medicine Institutional Review Board.

In only one year the men who got the finasteride had almost 800% more prostate carcinoma (specifically "adenocarcinoma")!!! That's right folks, almost 800% more prostate cancer tumors in only one year. God only knows what would have happened if they had kept taking the poison. What would have happened after five years?

Who knows what the truth is, the Internet is so full of BS :rolleyes:

Unless you personally supervised all the studies, you don't know for sure either...

I did find a reference to it on the University of Southern California web site:

http://www.usc.edu/hsc/info/pr/1vol4/422/prostate.html

So the study DOES exist <_<

However, there is one difference in this test compared to the others claiming finasteride is safe:

In contrast to the NCI study (which is focusing on healthy men), the USC team studied 52 men with elevated blood levels of PSA (prostate specific antigen) whose biopsies showed no signs of prostate cancer.

So maybe anybody thinking of starting Proscar should get their blood levels of PSA checked before starting.

I have taken medicines in the past, but not any more - the sides from most medicines are often worse than the actual ailment they are supposed to cure (eg. statins).

But drugs can also mean the difference between life and death. An obvious example: if you were infected with HIV in the 80s, you were essentially facing a death sentence. Thanks to anti-retroviral drugs developed in the 90s, AIDS mortality has fallen dramatically in the western world. Millions of Africans are literally dying for want of the appropriate medicine.

I don't know what the truth is, I found this but haven't actually been able to find a copy of Volume 78 on-line (any link I found comes up with an error :unsure: ). Strangly the first available free on-line volume is Jan 1999 and the one referred to here is the end of 1998. So, I haven't found any hard proof that this study actually exists. Maybe this is just a scam to promote alternative snake oils.

Finasteride Causes Almost 800% More Prostate Cancer!

This doesn't look like a particularly reliable source. People with 5AR deficiency - i.e. a hormonal profile similar to Fin users - NEVER get prostate cancer (http://www.cancer.gov/cancertopics/pdq/prevention/prostate/HealthProfessional/page3). So I'm VERY dubious about this guy's claims.

What's more, if Merck falsified its clinical trial data it could and most likely would be sued and/or prosecuted by the regulatory authorities.

What's more, if Merck falsified its clinical trial data it could and most likely would be sued and/or prosecuted by the regulatory authorities.

Well it wouldn't be the first time Merck have been sued:

Vioxx

While Merck continues to deny it, evidence is slowly emerging that not only did Merck used some unfair practices to get Vioxx approved by FDA, it also continued to hide problems related to Vioxx.

<_<

Fosamax

But they can afford it B) :

Merck faces nearly 10,000 lawsuits over Vioxx, which it withdrew from the market in September 2004 after a study showed it doubled patients' risk of heart attacks and strokes. Merck has set aside $970 million to fight the lawsuits in court.

http://www.careydanis.com/casenews_detail.aspx?id=35

Well it wouldn't be the first time Merck have been sued:

I know that Merck has won some of the legal cases so far and lost others.

The Vioxx affair is complex, and I confess to knowing little about it. I do know that The Lancet published a meta-analysis study and an associated editorial arguing that Merck should have known about the dangers of the drug at a much earlier stage. However, Merck issued a rebuttal noting that the authors of the meta-analysis had been selective in their choice of studies.

But they can afford it B) :

It is anybody's guess how much the cumulative damages could reach if Merck starts losing badly. Figures running into the tens of billions of dollars have been bandied around the stockmarket. Now they did make something like $8bn in profits in 2004, :blink: but the Vioxx affair cost Merck's boss his job and was a PR and political disaster all round.

The important thing for us is that unlike Vioxx and other drugs that have been withdrawn from the market, finasteride has a 'natural' biological analogue: naturally 5AR deficient individuals. These people appear to live healthy lives - with the obvious exception of their early genital development. They NEVER get prostate cancer. This should be some comfort to finasteride users! :) (EDIT: obviously I'm not saying that fin users will never get prostate cancer, but I see no logical reason why they should suffer from elevated risk)