Sign in to follow this  
snowman

Is Taking 5mg Finasteride More Beneficial Than 1mg?

Hi Guys

I know the following link shows the effects of dutasteride but it is showing this against studies of 5mg finasteride instead of 1mg.....

Just wondering if it would be more beneficial in taking 5mg instead of 1mg, I have proscar from DR. ASHCROFT

Also how long would you recommend sticking with Finasteride before maybe switching to Dutasteride?

Thanks

woops 4got the link :lol:

5mg fin vs Dut

Also how long would you recommend sticking with Finasteride before maybe switching to Dutasteride?

Hi Snowman,

I wouldn't think of Dutasteride as a natural progression from Finasteride. Some people find that Fin is more than beneficial for them, like Spex for example.

For me, I found that after three years worth of using Finasteride, I started thinning again, so I moved over to Dutasteride. This seems to have worked for me, but I would only change over to Dut if you're finding that Fin isn't working for you.

I've been lucky that I've not experienced any symptoms from either drug, however, it’s worth baring in mind that some people start experiencing side effects from Dut that they didn’t have with Fin - I think this happened to Tommy Two.

How long have you been on Finasteride bud?

No, there isn't much difference in DHT inhibition between 1mg and 5g of Fin. Besides, we are more interested in suppression of the DHT generated by the Type 2 5 alpha reductase enzymes INSIDE the hair follicle, not the simple level of overall DHT. See the chart attached, but bear in mind that the superior performance of 0.05mg relative to 0.2mg was explained to me as a statistical fluke.

Fin can keep your hair count above the baseline count (i.e., the number of hairs you had when you started taking the drug) for years. We have data out to five years (also attached), but some doctors have estimated the Fin will maintain your hair for well over a decade!

You should consider switching to Dut if/when Fin begins to lose its effectiveness.

post-276-1171811742_thumb.jpg

post-276-1171822236_thumb.jpg

Hi Snowman,

I wouldn't think of Dutasteride as a natural progression from Finasteride. Some people find that Fin is more than beneficial for them, like Spex for example.

For me, I found that after three years worth of using Finasteride, I started thinning again, so I moved over to Dutasteride. This seems to have worked for me, but I would only change over to Dut if you're finding that Fin isn't working for you.

I've been lucky that I've not experienced any symptoms from either drug, however, it’s worth baring in mind that some people start experiencing side effects from Dut that they didn’t have with Fin - I think this happened to Tommy Two.

How long have you been on Finasteride bud?

Hey shaft

To be honest i know it must still be early as have only been taking 1.25mg fin for about 3 months now was just wondering when maybe consideration for a change should be taken.

How long do u think it would be till i notice some change? 6 months? i mean i dont lose any hair now since being on it so thats good

No, there isn't much difference in DHT inhibition between 1mg and 5g of Fin. Besides, we are more interested in suppression of the DHT generated by the Type 2 5 alpha reductase enzymes INSIDE the hair follicle, not the simple level of overall DHT. See the chart attached, but bear in mind that the superior performance of 0.05mg relative to 0.2mg was explained to me as a statistical fluke.

Fin can keep your hair count above the baseline count (i.e., the number of hairs you had when you started taking the drug) for years. We have data out to five years (also attached), but some doctors have estimated the Fin will maintain your hair for well over a decade!

You should consider switching to Dut if/when Fin begins to lose its effectiveness.

thanks for the info pondle as always

How long do u think it would be till i notice some change? 6 months? i mean i dont lose any hair now since being on it so thats good

Hi bud,

That's a good question. I must admit I am by no means an authority on this so I can only offer you my own experience as guidance. When I started taking Fin I didn't really notice any change - I'm not saying that there wasn't any, just that if there was, it wasn't hugely noticeable to me. The time I realised that Fin wasn't working for me was a few years down the line when I started noticing that my hair was thinning again. It was then that I switched to Dut.

I haven't really noticed a huge difference with Dut either, with the exception that I think my crown area has thickened up slightly. I guess the main thing that's happened is that I still have hair on my head, and the way I was heading I don't think I would have much left if I hadn't have been taking the aforementioned pills.

Below is a photo taken of me with wet hair just before I started Fin in 2002:

post-430-1171824304_thumb.jpg

And here is a photo, again with my hair wet, taken just before I started Dut in 2005:

post-430-1171824546_thumb.jpg

As you can see, there isn't a great deal of difference. However, I should probably point out that I haven't taken a photo lately to compare how things are now, but I know when I get out of the shower that my hair still looks thin on top, so my guess would be that a photo would reveal pretty much the same as the above.

Whilst some people have fantastic results off of the meds, I wouldn't set your heart on achieving a greater density. If your hair follicles are dead then nothing will bring them back to life. What Fin and Dut do is they improve the life of you existing follicles and (hopefully) rejuvenate them.

I would advise that you just keep an eye on things. Maybe take some photos which you can compare in a few months time to see if you’re still thinning or if things have slowed down. Try not to get your hopes too high that you'll notice any significant change though - if you do then great but if you don't then at least you're preventing further loss.