Hairsucks

Propecia, Amount Of Finasteride Needed?

Hi,

I've read a few things on the subject of people taking 1mg propecia and people cutting there Proscar 5mg tablets into 5ths or quarters to achieve the 1mg or 1.25mg. I also came across some information stating you only need 0.25mg's of finastride a day to prevent hair loss. Then I came across a guy saying he had testicular pain from 1mg tablets so cut them in half taking 0.5mg -and it worked! so I would just like some clarification on this please?

I know most people take 1mg.

I once saw a chart which showed the effectivness of different amounts of fin in suppressing the production of DHT and there was'nt much difference between 0.25 - 1mg. 0.25mg per day had about 90% of the effects that 1mg had 0.5mg had about 95%.

I once saw a chart which showed the effectivness of different amounts of fin in suppressing the production of DHT and there was'nt much difference between 0.25 - 1mg. 0.25mg per day had about 90% of the effects that 1mg had 0.5mg had about 95%.

There's a discussion and references here- http://www.hairlosstalk.com/discussions/vi...der=asc&start=0

Thats very interesting stuff, thanks guys and that's a great link Pondle, cheers. I think I will start taking 0.5mg a day then, see what happens. I've never taken it before and have never wanted to either but I think it's my last resort to keeping (maybe even regrowing) the hair I have left.

I'm never going to get a HT, mostly because I like my head shaved and don't want scars. I guess I'll try Fin and if it doesn't work i'll wave my hair goodbye! :(

Why don't you start on the recommended 1mg dose and see how you get on with that? If you're getting Proscar from Dr Ashcroft, 1mg per day shouldn't work out too expensive. You can always reduce the dose if you have problems.

Hairsucks i know you did not really want to take fin/pro but it really is the only proven med to slow/stop/and may be regrow your hair,as i said to you on your minox subject the is a very very good chance you will not only stop further hairloss, but also a very very good chance you will catch you crown in time and grow that back. if you are going to give it a go please remember a few things so you are not paniked if they happen in the early days ;),1 you might get a shedding phase in the first month or two,SHORT TERM you hair will look worse ie like it is thinning big time in a short period of time,this is the med's working,your hair will grow back if you give the meds time.2 you will get a decrease in sex drive or the erge,give your body time and it WILL re adjust,just give your body 6-8 weeks from when this effect kicks in and all will be back to normal.

Last thing you say you will never get a HT as you like shaving your hair short and dont want scars,as i said before if you wanted your temples closing up a little or filled in totaly FUE would do that and leave you with no scars at all ;).

First things first though,give the meds a bash to halt further loss,all the best TBF

Thanks for the advice TBF / Pondle.

My finpecia (generic propecia) have arrived today, I'm going to start taking them tomorrow. still going to take half a tablet each day tho. The cost is little issue to me (enough to make me buy generic), I just really don't like the idea of taking this stuff, on the other hand I really don't like the idea of having a shiny bald head!.

No scar with this FUE thing then ? so you cant tell at all then?

no scars at all mate in the right hands,pop over to the HT threads and have a look at hairroot's FUE HT,he had most of his front replaced,you only need your temples doing,easy job in the right hands ;)