IPB ImageIPB Image

IPB ImageIPB Image

IPB ImageIPB Image

IPB ImageIPB Image

post-1525-1170904137_thumb.jpg

post-1525-1170905338_thumb.jpg

post-1525-1170904248_thumb.jpg

post-1525-1170904553_thumb.jpg

After nearly 8 months of research I took the plunge on December 22, 2006 with a strip procedure with Dr. Feller. My experience was just amazing. I’m very, very happy with how it is shaping up. Dr. Feller is everything as advertised on this board, and his staff clearly knows what they are doing. Dr. Feller is a no-nonsense, no-BS person.

I’m the proud father of 4, 39 years old, and happily married for ten years. I decided to do this because I simply didn’t like the way I looked. No one else cared. My wife met me when my hairline already had receded and never pushed me to do this, but she was supportive.

I want to thank everyone on this board that has shared their experiences with any of the doctors. This certainly helped me picked Dr. Feller, but it also made me very comfortable with the procedure. I can get pretty nervous at times even though I’m a trial lawyer, but I was not nervous at all before or during the procedure. I even slept well the night before.

I don’t know what Norwood class I was; I only had some bridge hair toward the back that I was able to comb over somewhat. We decided to fill in the hairline all the way back to (and ultimately into) the bridge hair area. The goal was to get 3,000 FUs, but we ultimately got 3,424.

We started at 7:45 a.m. and ended at around 5 p.m.

The most interesting thing was it took about 30 minutes to draw the hairline. We had pictures from the initial consultation, and I thought he had matched them pretty well after 10 or 15 minutes, but he re-drew the line two more times to get it exactly right. One suggestion that I would make to others is to have someone that knows you at the consultation/hairline drawing session. I brought my wife; she had some suggestions for some little nuances for the hairline that I never would have thought of and that we ultimately used. Another perspective never hurts.

As everyone has said, the most difficult part of the day was the injection of the anesthetic. Ouch. At least we got that part out of the way quickly. Then, the most difficult part was sitting still! More on that later.

I thought I was going to be grossed out by the removal of the strip. It turned out to be painless, and there was no ripping or tearing sound at all. The valium Dr. Feller gave me probably helped. After the stitches, Dr. Feller went about punching 3,001 holes in my head. This is a quiet time because of the intense concentration required, so I just zoned out.

Within just a few minutes after the last hole was punched, the techs came in to put the grafts in. This was pretty tedious. I didn’t realize that it’s not just about sitting in the chair for 8 hours; you have to be absolutely still while the grafts go in to ensure the right placement. What I didn’t know going in is that they pile the grafts on your head to store them before they actually put them in the scalp. At one point, I turned my head and the Doctor thought some of the grafts would fall off! He stopped me in time thankfully.

The rest of the day was a blur. I was lucky enough to have a fantastic lunch prepared by the staff for the office holiday party (thanks again!). I was even luckier when I was told at the end of the day that the doctor would be punching another 400+ holes because they harvested more grafts than projected.

I drove home afterwards only on the power of Dr. Feller’s new painkilling method (he gives you a syringe to pump more of the anesthetic through butterfly needles fastened with a headband).

I had some major league swelling over the next few days, but I was able to sleep comfortably. Too early to tell exactly how the scar is going to turn out, but it looks promising.

The staples came out today. Not fun. Because I have a sensitive scalp, I had to get 6 more pain injections! These were not as deep as the ones on the day of the procedure, so they didn’t hurt quite as much.

I’m trying not to get too excited about the new hair just yet, because I know it’s going to shed. It looks like it’s going to be pretty dense too, but it’s too early to tell.

Again, thanks to everyone for their insights on the process.

I’ve attached some pictures from Dr. Feller’s office (before and on day of procedure and from the date the staples were removed (10 days out).

The latest pictures are at 7 weeks. Some blemishes are shown in all their glory (I'm a firm believer in showing the good and the bad!). The stubble on the top of my head -- new growth -- doesn't show in the pictures.

4DAD

post-1525-1170905298_thumb.jpg

4Dad welcome :D thanks for your write up,that is going to look fantastic in 12 months time.

Can i ask are you on any meds to hold onto your bridge area,and will you consider another op to fill your bridge and take you further into the crown?

all the best TBF

Thanks Pete! Fingers are crossed. The hardest part to gauge is the density. I think some of the shedding has already started. I see other people's before and after pics that are similar to mine, and the density looks really good at 6-12 months. I know part of the illusion of density is created by the front hairs cascading over hairs/scalp in the back; at this stage, it's pretty difficult to imagine how it will look......!

4Dad welcome :D thanks for your write up,that is going to look fantastic in 12 months time.

Can i ask are you on any meds to hold onto your bridge area,and will you consider another op to fill your bridge and take you further into the crown?

all the best TBF

No meds yet. Interesting that you should ask. I was in the original Merck study for propecia (after proscar for prostate cancer had been approved). I was on it for about 4 years. My wife and I then decided to have children (we now have 4), and we stopped while she has been pregnant and nursing over the last 7 years).

I've taken about 400 mgs of Saw Palmetto daily, which supposedly has a similar effect. No current plans to take meds. I will go back for a second procedure at some point down the road to fill in the crown and bridge. That's probably 2 years down the road.

Looks like its set to be a great result :) . Another procedure would give full coverage, you look like you are/were a nw5.

Welcome aboard 4Dad! Great to see you on here and many thanks for sharing your experience with us - Now you are in tfor the long wait - but it will be well worth it mate! Heal and grow well!!! B)

Best Regards

Spex

Hi 4Dad,

Thanks for sharing your experience with us, I had my procedure with Dr Feller almost exactly one month before you, its nice to read other members experiences as you can relate to them, the recovery period would be daunting if it wasn't for these forums, and its a good feeling knowing you chose the right doc.

I started to shed my transplanted hair almost straight away, which does make you wonder what the finished result will actually be like, it's now a case of just sitting back and being patient.

Like you I done a lot of research before taking the plunge, but I feel we made the right decision choosing Dr Feller.

All the very best of luck and grow well.

Hi 4Dad,

It looks great, especially that face-on picture at 10 days; it just looks like you had your hair buzzed down.

Are you able to cover the scar with your hair at the back?

Welcome to the forum and congratulations on your new hair :D

Hi 4Dad,

It looks great, especially that face-on picture at 10 days; it just looks like you had your hair buzzed down.

Are you able to cover the scar with your hair at the back?

Welcome to the forum and congratulations on your new hair :D

Thanks!

The hair on the back doesn't quite cover the scar. I'm pretty sure that it's my fault. I had my hair cut about a month before the procedure, and it was a little too short. My strategy was to have a hair cut that would roughly resemble what I looked like before I went on my HT vacation. It has worked very well from the sides/top. In the back, there is sort of a landing strip where the hair is shorter. The scar itself is very narrow, and he used the trico closure (so there is hair already growing out of it). There are still red dots where the staples were removed. They have slowly faded. I'm back to work on Monday, so we'll see how noticeable it is then!

4Dad

Try using a concealer to hide the scar ;) , eg Dermatch or a spray one. (Probably too late to get one before monday now though). :(

A little concealer on the area will defo help.

Get on MSM if not already as this will speed up your hairs growth generally - covering the scar quicker.

Aloe vera gel on the area will also help with soothing the area and help with the redness ;)

All the best B)

4dad do you have any pictures of the scar

These pictures of the scar were taken about 13 days out (there is much less redness now, but still some).

4Dad

post-1525-1168314253_thumb.jpg

Healing well mate - congrats!! :) Get some Aloe vera on both recipent and donor area - Will really help with remaining redness! ;)

Welcome to the forum 4Dad! Looks like another great job, nice and tidy work!

Be very patient now as its only a matter of time. I am 6 months post op 2000+ with Feller and i am very happy indeed so far :)

Welcome aboard mate !

Great post. It's true what u say that you dont realise how hard it is to sit still all day in the chair. I also wanted to chat away but the doc told me that he needed to concentrate 100% while doing the incisions. I think the best thing to do is to watch a film or two to take your mind off whats going on.

Looking great by the way 4Dad.

Hi 4Dad, WOW!! Thats really well packed... thats going to look awesome!

Well done!

Happy healing.

;)

Thanks for all of your thoughts. It's almost all gone now! Shedding stinks!

4Dad

Hi 4Dad, how did it go going back to work? Did you tell everybody about your HT or did you fabricate a story?

Hi 4Dad, how did it go going back to work? Did you tell everybody about your HT or did you fabricate a story?

I shaved down the sides of my head to roughly match the top.

Some people asked what happened (looking at me from the front), and I told them I just decided to buzz down my hair. Most people just accepted that. I think a few people noticed the redness and looked at that for a bit and moved on.

A few people noticed the scar and asked what happened to my head. I told them that I had to have some skin removed, which is technically true! I could have done a much better job preparing to hide the scar with Dermatch and Toppik. I bought some Toppik, but it didn't really conceal the lingering redness of the scar. That's almost gone now, and the scar is almost undetectible. I will post new pics within the next week.

Only one person asked me if I had an HT. I made a policy of admitting it to whomever asked me directly.

Since I was a NW5, people eventually are going to be able to figure it out. I was just hoping that the transition would go a little more smoothly. But it really hasn't been a big deal. No regrets!

Thanks,

4Dad

Obviously time is the best concealer for hiding the evidence of a HT but I found that spray concealers work best for hiding the scar. Luckily the slow and steady way the new grafts grow means its not always so obvious that something has been done. People who see you everyday will gradualy get used to your new hair. It will just seem to get thicker and thicker.

Tell them its from minox if you want :lol:

Making up stories about the scar is not always a good idea as it can backfire, but you never told them you had an accident or something like that.

Luckily nearly all of the general public know nothing about HT's so they cant really spot the signs. Also changing the length of your hair also helps to throw people when they notice that something is different.

I hope the person you told the truth to is not the type to gossip.

Anyway wether it comes out or not you will surely be looking better for it by the time summer is here.

I made a policy of admitting it to whomever asked me directly.

Good policy :D I had planned the same but nobody asked me directly. My policy was also not to lie about it, so when people asked about it, I told them to mind their own business, ignored them or just said that I had my head fixed and quickly changed the subject.

4DAD

Nice one! All downhill from here on in, as mentioned get on MSM. It really helped me grow back quickly the hair I had before the op. You are going to notice some difference when you compare pics 9mts from now.

Best of luck!

How is it all going 4dad? :)

Spex,

I still have some redness on the front of the scalp, but it's dissipating. I'm using fresh aloe to deal with this.

I thought all the transplanted hair was going to shed, but I still have some of the original transplanted hair. It's pretty sparse though. I'm debating whether to shave it down if it starts looking peculiar.

I'm noticing some stubble/sprouts. I think it is the beginning of new growth, but probably too early to tell. Maybe the MSM is helping?

The scar is now virtually indetectible. The hair has grown in and covers it. Again, to all reading, the scar would never have been detectible if I hadn't gotten a haircut within the few weeks before the procedure. That was my mistake. My advice is to let it grow long and adjust it, if necessary, after the procedure.

I still have some residual numbness, but that is subsiding as well.

I'll try to post new pictures in the next few days.

Thanks,

4Dad