Hairsucks

Rogaine Sucks

Hi,

New member here, just to let you know. I had nearly a full head of hair about 8 months ago. I was receding and a little thin on top but this was happening very slow! You know how it is, I started comparing my hair against others and thought I wonder if there is anything out there to get my hair back to normal. Not knowing anything about MPB and DHT and such I bought some herbal crap and wasted my money. I then decided on rogaine as it was FDA approved and all that.. That's when things turned for the worst. The first 5/6 weeks of using it I lost LOTS of hair, everyone noticed. After a while it stopped shedding and may of thickened a bit but it is no comparison to how it was. Now in the right/wrong light I look bald!.. This is from about 8 months use!

The worst thing is I'm scared to stop using it as all the rest may fall out.. I guess my question to you guys who might of had similar experiences is shall I stop or not ??

By the way I don't want to use fin as I love sex and would have to kill myself if I couldn't get a hard on. I don't care how small the chances are.

Oh I've been on Nizoral for about 2 months, not seemed to have done anything to be honest.

Cheers

Welcome to the club, I lost my hair to Rogaine too :angry: It's total crap :angry: :angry:

I used it for 10 months, lost all the hair from the front of my head and then stopped using it. The shedding stopped after I stopped using the useless crap but the hair I lost never grew back.

My hair also shed from Nizoral but grew back (I tried it after my HT and my new HT hair shed!).

No boner with finasteride, so in my opinion and experience all "hair products" are crap. Because of Rogaine I had to get a hair transplant. I had thin hair before using Rogaine but it wasn't bad enough for me to seriously think about a hair transplant. Definitely needed a HT after Rogaine though.

My HT worked by the way, but I'm never going to use any damn hair meds or products again.

In answer to your question, I'd stop using Rogaine and Nizoral and take the bottles back to where you bought them and shove them up the cashier's arse.

Mate that's a shame to hear. If you say it shed, then regrew and possibly thickened up (albeit not as good as before) then chances are that the hairs that came back/thickened did so dependent on minox. If you quit it then chances are you will lose those hairs. It is possible that your hair may keep improving if you keep using it, I'd suggest reading some topical minoxidil studies as they do show that occurs, with best regrowth being between 1 and 2 years.

You could try copper peptides if you don't want to use fin, or some retin-a. But mate, I've been on fin since febuary and never had any sides, and many don't, if you get sides and you really don't like it then you can just quit it and they go away.

Do you have any pictures so we can advise you better?

Are there any independent studies? In my opinion "studies" and statistics compiled by the same company that are manufacturing and marketing these drugs and products are not reliable.

I have some pics here, as you can see I'm very thin on top now. this is my head shaved bit longer then a number 1. I do have hair covering most my head apart from the front area but if I stand under a light I look bald.

I really don't want to try fin. I know you say if you get side effects you just stop but I've read a few people have stopped and still impotent. that scares me. also heard about people growing breasts :o . I don't fancy messing about with my body too much.

So what do you think? what would you do if you had my hair or lack of?

Sorry the pics are a bit crap but just took them with my phone.

post-1518-1168004120_thumb.jpg

post-1518-1168004171_thumb.jpg

post-1518-1168004190_thumb.jpg

post-1518-1168004232_thumb.jpg

The only way to get your hair back is a hair transplant. Your hair loss is quite severe and there is no way you'll ever get it back using meds. Your temples are completely bald so there's nothing for the meds to save. Even those who believe in meds know that they won't re-grow hair on your temples.

You look just as bald as I did after Rogaine ruined my life:

My HT page

Word of caution: DON'T get a HT in the UK, you will end up worse than bald!

Yeah I have seen independent minoxidil studies. I did quite a lot of research, mainly on google, and also from hair loss sites. I think the longer stuides are the FDA studies though, which yeah are done by the drug companies, but who else is gonna fund them? I was reading a european study the other day, can't remember how but if I ever come across it again I'll post it.

If you're happy with the shaved look then why not just take it all off and forget about it? On the other hand, if you really want hair then you should take up a serious regime, which unfortunatley includes an anti-androgen. Minox doesn't stop the hairloss process, just increases thickness and provides more growth, so if you are really serious about having hair, you really need at least fin.

But if not, you need a topical anti-androgen. Having used spiro topically I'm not convinced it worked but you could give it a try. Maybe revivogen (another topicalanti-androgen, again though, I'm not convinced)? Retin-a could help you get more regrowth from minoxidil. Copper peptides might help you get regrowth. But in honesty, refusing to take fin, you do kinda limit yourself, most other things pretty much offer no guarentees.

Also, try growing it out, you might be surprised at how it looks.

Are there any independent studies? In my opinion "studies" and statistics compiled by the same company that are manufacturing and marketing these drugs and products are not reliable.

how much did all that cost PB, it looks great mate!

Thanks jamesdean, it cost $8750... which is £4500 at today's exchange rate.

I'm going back in June to get more :D

But if not, you need a topical anti-androgen. Having used spiro topically I'm not convinced it worked but you could give it a try. Maybe revivogen (another topicalanti-androgen, again though, I'm not convinced)? Retin-a could help you get more regrowth from minoxidil. Copper peptides might help you get regrowth. But in honesty, refusing to take fin, you do kinda limit yourself, most other things pretty much offer no guarentees

Where can I get some spiro, Retin-a and copper Peptides from then ? I'm in UK. I'll try these first then maybe I'll go on the fin. I really don't want to tho. I know the side effects are less then 2% but It can't be good for your body. I mean DHT must be used by the body for something?.

As for growing it back, not with my hairline it looks silly now. I like the shaven look it's just I like stubble there not skin. I don't want a shiny bald head.

Thanks for this.

I'm not entirely sure I'm allowed to say...but I'll say and then if I'm not, I guess this'll just get deleted. I'm not aware of places in the UK you can get spiro, but www.minoxidil.com sells it, it comes from america, that's where I got it when I used it, you can either get a creme or lotion. You might be able to get retin-a there too, but i don't know, try googling it if you can't.

About copper peptides...There's 2 brands, folligen and tricomin. I get tricomin from www.tricotec.co.uk, its well expensive though. Folligen's cheaper, I dunno where to get that from tho, try googling it.

Word of warning about spiro, it MAY make u smell a bit like a skunk, a lot of people complain about that, especially when you mix it with minoxidil, but as far as topical anti-androgens go you don't really have much of a choice other than it.

These things aren't proven to work though so please don't have a go if they fail, they're just the next best things if that even exists. You're doing yourself a bit of an injustice in not taking finasteride. Btw, do you use rogaine twice a day?

hi Hairsucks

i used regaine for near 4 years and i can say it made my hairloss worse :angry: ,it is catch 22 when you start it as you go through the shedding phase and see all the hair fall out and you think oh s*** :o ,then fear takes over as you start thinking what will happen now if i stop useing it.my advice to you get off the regaine and get on fin/pro,IF you are going to use it then do so with fin/pro,i went to AHS in 2001 and was looking at either use of fin/pro or there LASER con :ph34r: ,i had concerns about the side effects of fin/pro use which i stupidly mentioned to them,they gave me many scare storys about it and again stupidly went with there LASER con in the end :ph34r: :ph34r:.

in the end some 4 years ago i took the plunge and went on fin/pro,it was the best thing i could have done,i have had no bitch tits or wobbly willy :P,the is a very very good chance if you hit fin/pro that it will halt the thinning on your crown and save you further hairloss.

then in the future you could always get your temples closed or filled with a bit of FUE work if you so wished.

I used minox on my hair for a short while in my early-mid 20's, even though I was only receeding in the hairline area at the time, I decided to use it on my crown (thinking of it as a preventative measure) sure enough I began to thin almost immeadiatly.

PS I brought the minox from norton so it may have actualy been petrol/vodka/window cleaner...etc.

Btw, do you use rogaine twice a day?

Yes Chino, I use rogaine foam twice a day. Only been using the foam for 2 months now. before it was kirkland minox. The foam is so much better, no grease or shine or smell. Good stuff apart from it makes you lose your hair :(

Just ordered some retin-a and spiro so lets home it helps. I take multi vit and zinc anyway, even before I even new it helped hair.

Cheers

Just to add, I it was just over 1 month of using the foam not 2. After reading about Sheds on some of Spex very useful posts, I now think maybe the new foam has made me shed ?? new meds new sheds ? It's just a thought and would make sense-ish. :blink:

by the way I ended up joining the Fin club! happy to say no sides yet but very early days, nearly two weeks into it. Bit of dull ache in the bollocks but nothing bad at all. Oh and I only take 0.5mg a day.

There was one night I was reading about people who have been on fin/pro and then grown tits and suffered from permanent floppycockitis (impotent) :o , I found lots of posts which scared me to death.. I thought "that's it I'm binning these tablets!!" then that night I couldn't get it up (1st time ever!) for the missus (she was not happy!) and I couldn't sleep thinking about all these posts saying "the sides will get you eventually!" but since I've been normal - sex life is fine so far, just the one scare and i put this purely down to my mind!! 100%.

The mind is a VERY powerful thing!

guys how long does it normally take to notice shedding from using rogaine??

i ve been on the foam for about a month now and havent noticed anything but the stories are scaring me a bit.

i m on fin and have been for at least 2 months

should i discontinue using the foam??

Hi Guys,

Just thought I would add my two penneth worth! It seems all the posts so far have been negative regarding rogain.

I'm 30 now and started losing my hair at 17 years old and if it wasn;t for rogain I would have been completle bald!!

I was thinning so quickly that by the time I was 18 you could see my scalp and I couldn;t reakky style my hair as it was so thin. Then whilst at Uni (end of my first year) during the summer a 3 - 4 month break I shaved my head (with a razor) and started rogain.

I had shedding after the first 2 weeks, which lasted until week 6. After this I shaved my head again and kept applying the rogain.

Around 2 1/2 months - 3 months I started seeing regrowth and my hair started to thicken. My hair continued to thicken that by month 4 - 5 it was so thick that you could not see the scalp even when wet.

Obviously because I was young and I caught the hairloss early I responded very well to rogain, but I still use today at 30. It's not doing a great deal for me now, but I do know it's allowing me to hold on to my hair.

I'm at a NW 3, but have had a hair transplant.

If it wasn't for rogain, I would have lost my Uni years and my the early years of my career!

Just thought I'd share my experience to balance it out a bit. I don't think the current posts do the drug justice.

sagg thanks for sharing your experience! I also feel this forum is unjustly biased against it.

I was wondering, without your HT, where do you feel you would be if you had only used rogaine? Asin, how well would it have held your hair? What were your experiences with it after several years of being on it?

sagg thanks for sharing your experience! I also feel this forum is unjustly biased against it.

I was wondering, without your HT, where do you feel you would be if you had only used rogaine? Asin, how well would it have held your hair? What were your experiences with it after several years of being on it?

Hey Chino,

I only had the transplant a couple of weeks ago, so my current hair is all minoxidil and propecia. I'm hopefully gonna post some pics of my hair tonight showing 13 days post op, which should give you an idea of my hair. Bear in mind that some areas have been buzzed down and I have also suffered quite a bit of shock loss!!

For me....minoxidil worked far better at regrowing hair than propecia. For the first 3 years I was only on regain and it held my hair and prevented me from looking as if I was thinning. Believe me that was a great feat esp since my mpb is soooo aggressive. My dad was bald by 21 and I was defo heading in that direction.

When I went on propecia, it seemed to really kick start the minoxidil. It's as if the propecia was not holding the hair freeing up minoxidil to regrow.

However, after about 5 years of use both drugs were no where near as effective and for the last couple of years I degraded enough for people to comment on me thinning on top....hence the HT!!

Hopefully in 6 - 8 months time....I'm gonna make them eat my words!!

Hey Chino,

I only had the transplant a couple of weeks ago, so my current hair is all minoxidil and propecia. I'm hopefully gonna post some pics of my hair tonight showing 13 days post op, which should give you an idea of my hair. Bear in mind that some areas have been buzzed down and I have also suffered quite a bit of shock loss!!

For me....minoxidil worked far better at regrowing hair than propecia. For the first 3 years I was only on regain and it held my hair and prevented me from looking as if I was thinning. Believe me that was a great feat esp since my mpb is soooo aggressive. My dad was bald by 21 and I was defo heading in that direction.

When I went on propecia, it seemed to really kick start the minoxidil. It's as if the propecia was not holding the hair freeing up minoxidil to regrow.

However, after about 5 years of use both drugs were no where near as effective and for the last couple of years I degraded enough for people to comment on me thinning on top....hence the HT!!

Hopefully in 6 - 8 months time....I'm gonna make them eat my words!!

Thanks for the reply sagg. Sounds like you had some really great results! Hope your HT works out well for you!

There is a lot of data from various trials which allows us to compare finasteride, dutasteride and minoxidil. A guy called Bryan Sheldon posted these findings on another site.

(The Glaxo trial of finasteride and dutasteride)

Finasteride... +72 hairs, six months (12.0 hairs/month)

Dutasteride... +108 hairs, six months (18.0 hairs/month)

(All the following are the topical minox studies)

(1) 2% minox... +425 hairs, 12 months (35.4 hairs/month)

Also: 3% minox... +372 hairs, 12 months (31.0 hairs/month)

(2) 2% minox... +273.4 NONVELLUS hairs, 12 months (22.8 hairs/month)

(3) 2% minox... +101 TERMINAL hairs, 13 months (7.8 terminal hairs/month)

(4) 1% minox... +149 hairs, 6 months (24.8 hairs/month)

Also: 2% minox... +175 hairs, 6 months (29.2 hairs/month)

(5) 2% minox... +233.8 hairs, 12 months (19.5 hairs/month)

(6) 2% minox... +151 hairs, 4 months (37.8 hairs/month)

Also: 2% minox... +324 hairs, 12 months (27 hairs/month)

Also: 3% minox... +166 hairs, 4 months (41.5 hairs/month)

Also: 3% minox... +338 hairs, 12 months (28.2 hairs/month)

So minoxidil is best at regrowing hair, but it doesn't stop underlying balding. Fin and Dut both do the latter and of the two, dut is best for regrowth.

Yep, the 5 yr study shows Propecia works best up to 1 -2 yrs from starting treatment. Then your haircount will slowly decline back to baseline.

post-276-1171495097_thumb.jpg