Sign in to follow this  
Spuraman

Sunbeds?

Hey Everyone!

I am starting to look rather pale and in need of a little Tan. I had my HT 5 months ago and was wondering if i can go on the sunbed yet?

I dont want to do any damage but it should be ok if i cover my head shouldnt it? :P

Hey mate looked at ur pics the other day and things are looking good.

I went on holiday 3 months after my ht and it was very hot and i was fine just try not to burn your head as I shouldnt think you want it peeling and dont use them to much, but in moderation you should be fine.

I went on holiday 3 months after my ht and it was very hot and i was fine just try not to burn your head as I shouldnt think you want it peeling and dont use them to much, but in moderation you should be fine.

Sunbeds are a terrible idea. Not only does excessive exposure to UVA cause skin cancer, it is also a prime factor in skin ageing. UVA gradually destroys elastin and collagen, hence you end up with wrinkles and lines.

http://www.cancerhelp.org.uk/help/default....ge=3006#sunbeds

Sunbeds are a terrible idea. Not only does excessive exposure to UVA cause skin cancer, it is also a prime factor in skin ageing. UVA gradually destroys elastin and collagen, hence you end up with wrinkles and lines.

http://www.cancerhelp.org.uk/help/default....ge=3006#sunbeds

I know what you mean mate, i dont go on them much. Before my HT i used to use them only about once or twice every 2 months. I just prefer to look a bit darker but i know its doing me no good using them. The ones i use at my gym are very weak and you dont come out of them looking orange :)

I know what you mean mate, i dont go on them much. Before my HT i used to use them only about once or twice every 2 months. I just prefer to look a bit darker but i know its doing me no good using them. The ones i use at my gym are very weak and you dont come out of them looking orange :)

Have you tried some of the self-tanning creams? Not fake tan, but the ones with an ingredient that triggers your own natural pigment production. This one isn't bad and you can get it in most branches of Boots - http://www.xcdskin.com/site/product/uk_enhancer.htm

Stay away from sunbeds mate <_< Get a spray tan done :) The wife says they are very good............ :unsure: I wouldn't know is what i mean............ :unsure: ;)

Hi,

Regarding UV and recipient areas...Dr. Feller advised me strongly, after my transplant (which was on 6/19/06, which put my healing/initial growth stage right in the midst of summer, specifically BEACH :) season) to keep my head out of the sun for a while...I don't remember his exact time frame, because I had already decided to keep a hat between my newly renovated scalp and the sun at least until the fall. I am both a tad over-cautious, and more than a tad pale.

Regarding tanning in general...if it helps, I submit Exhibit A, which consists of all the photos on my weblog with a front-on forehead shot. If you look, you should see, in most of them, a red blemish/spot on the left side of my forehead (i.e., the right side, as you view the photo...those of you viewing said photos in the UK may see it on the left instead :P). After several months of it not going away, I saw a dermatologist, who told me, yes, it's skin cancer -- thankfully, however, a "basal cell carcinoma," which is the least severe kind, and which will be eliminated from my life after about 45 minutes of, er, slicing and dicing...

My rambling point being...as much as I do indeed love the beach, and outdoor activity, I've never been a "tanner" and in fact have not, or so I thought, exposed my Anglo-Saxon pallor to the onslaught of UV radiation that much; rarely have I seen my skin tanned, or burned. Yet the carcinoma showed up over this past summer, when I was ultra-careful about sheilding my visage and head from sun...granted, my father has had similar things, so I may have lost a genetic lottery here, but after a lengthy talk from my dermatologist about the evils of tanning, I am a believer...

Funny; when she was taking the biopsy I made a comment about the local anaesthetic she injected being tame, compared to the industrial needles I got during my HT...she commented that it was a very good job, and hadn't noticed it until I mentioned it. A small tidbit...

Benjamin "Pale Rider"

Thanks for all your comments. I am sounding like a right girlie now!! :P

I e-mailed Dr Feller to ask him if i can use sunbeds while covering my head but havent had a response yet.

imagine me going for a spray tan!! no way! the moisteriser sounds good tho.