Sign in to follow this  
billios

Thinning Temples

im 18, receding quite badly around the temples and need some advice on what treatment to go with. i use nizoral and have previously used saw palmetto but i dont want to try propecia (seeing as its better for the crown area) unless its definitely my best option as it seems a bit risky. im also not to keen on regaine (rogaine?). i've heard good things about spiro 5% topical? can anyone on here reccomend anything. thanks

im 18, receding quite badly around the temples and need some advice on what treatment to go with. i use nizoral and have previously used saw palmetto but i dont want to try propecia (seeing as its better for the crown area) unless its definitely my best option as it seems a bit risky. im also not to keen on regaine (rogaine?). i've heard good things about spiro 5% topical? can anyone on here reccomend anything. thanks

Apparently it is a myth that Propecia and Rogaine only work at the crown & vertex. Propecia works everywhere, and Rogaine (minoxidil) works everywhere it is applied. However, after starting treatment you will likely still lose remaining hairs in areas where hairloss is advanced - which tends to be at the temples. Bear in mind that Regaine is a hair stimulant but doesn't stope the underlying balding process; only Propecia does that. Can't advise you on Spiro, sorry.

Hi mate. Well I have used 5% spiro on temples and hairline, I used it twice a day from febuary until about err....august I think, used it irregularly after that. And basically, I have stopped using it, I never saw any satisfactory regrowth from it, maybe 3 hairs in total lol and when I stopped I didn't lose them. Mate the simple thing is, there are only a few proven things that work, and saying that you don't want to use them really aint doing you any favours.

If you don't want to use fin that's fine, what I really reccomend you use right now is rogaine foam. It is very very easy to use. If I could I would go back and use the foam instead of spiro on my temples (foam only came out in october though), I'll update with my 3 month rogaine results beginning of febuary so don't ask me about my results with it just yet.

Don't be scared of rogaine, especially the foam, which I find very easy to use and doesn't produce irritation. And don't be scared off by stories, for any treatment.

P.S. I'm not saying topical spiro doesn't work, I think it may be good for maintaining the hair that you've got, but you can't really expect regrowth from it. So if regrowth is what you want, don't use it as a beginning treatment, you can use it as an additional treatment later.

cheers guys thats really helpfull. if rogaine is going to make me lose the hair around my temples then i dont see the point in using it seeing as thats all im trying to stop right now. chino, does the rogaine foam leave your hair greasy? do you have to use it twice a day? (it would suit me more to use it once at night) and does anyone have anything to say in terms of fin? i.e. if it comes down to a choice between the two then which one should i use? has anyone else experienced shedding of hair around the temples when on rogaine? can rogaine foam be bought over the counter in boots etc?

also on the rogaine site it says

Do not use if your amount of hair loss is different than that shown on the inside of this label or your hair loss is on the front of the scalp. 5% minoxidil topical foam is not intended for frontal baldness or receding hairline.

thanks again

cheers guys thats really helpfull. if rogaine is going to make me lose the hair around my temples then i dont see the point in using it seeing as thats all im trying to stop right now. chino, does the rogaine foam leave your hair greasy? do you have to use it twice a day? (it would suit me more to use it once at night) and does anyone have anything to say in terms of fin? i.e. if it comes down to a choice between the two then which one should i use? has anyone else experienced shedding of hair around the temples when on rogaine? can rogaine foam be bought over the counter in boots etc?

also on the rogaine site it says

Do not use if your amount of hair loss is different than that shown on the inside of this label or your hair loss is on the front of the scalp. 5% minoxidil topical foam is not intended for frontal baldness or receding hairline.

thanks again

Why do you say that rogaine is going to 'cause' you to lose hair around your temples!? Mate I'm using it there and hairline, and that simply hasn't happened... The reason why it says that is because they aren't allowed to claim it works there as they did not test it there in the trials. Rogaine shouldwork wherever you put it, as long as the hairs haven't been gone for more than say...2 years (I'm not just claiming that, there was a study somewhere about length of time hairs must have gone for before they are irreversibly gone).

Anyway, I'm on both fin and rogaine, that's probably the best way to go. If you're just going to use one for now, I'd say try rogaine foam as it gives more regrowth than propecia. No it ism't greasy at all. Problem is, the foam isn't on sale here in the UK yet (were so behind, it is in some european countries!) so you'd have to get it off the internet. You use it twice a day if you want the best results from it, once a day might work, I started off on once a day but soon realised I want to maximise my chances of regrowth. Why not twice a day when you can, once when you can't?

The only reason I'm reccomending rogaine over propecia, is because from using fin from about febuary until october, I pretty much shed non stop, and if you asked me if it made my hair better/worse, well, although maybe not completely noticeable, I'd say it made it more diffuse across the top. Although now I think it's filling back in maybe.

With the foam, just apply a small ball of foam directly to each temple and then rub in. Eeeasy, good luck mate!

The only reason I'm reccomending rogaine over propecia, is because from using fin from about febuary until october, I pretty much shed non stop, and if you asked me if it made my hair better/worse, well, although maybe not completely noticeable, I'd say it made it more diffuse across the top. Although now I think it's filling back in maybe.

With the foam, just apply a small ball of foam directly to each temple and then rub in. Eeeasy, good luck mate!

Fin is the mainstay of any anti-hairloss regime, although it doesn't work for everyone - about 20% of men are non-responders, and about 2-3% get side effects. The drug is better at maintaining hair than regrowing it; getting on Fin early is the key to keeping the hair you currently have. The longer you wait before starting, the more time MPB has to progress - as you'll see from the attached chart.

While Regaine can thicken hair better than Fin, it does not even slow the underlying balding process, whereas Fin can halt or even (very partially) reverse it.

I've used Fin for about 15 months and I've been quite pleased with it. The high levels of shedding I was experiencing in 2005, prior to starting on the drug, stopped within two months of taking Fin. The crown seems to have thickened up very slightly, although I've seen less benefit at the temples. I've had no side effects.

post-276-1167491417_thumb.jpg

Fin is the mainstay of any anti-hairloss regime, although it doesn't work for everyone - about 20% of men are non-responders, and about 2-3% get side effects. The drug is better at maintaining hair than regrowing it; getting on Fin early is the key to keeping the hair you currently have. The longer you wait before starting, the more time MPB has to progress - as you'll see from the attached chart.

While Regaine can thicken hair better than Fin, it does not even slow the underlying balding process, whereas Fin can halt or even (very partially) reverse it.

I've used Fin for about 15 months and I've been quite pleased with it. The high levels of shedding I was experiencing in 2005, prior to starting on the drug, stopped within two months of taking Fin. The crown seems to have thickened up very slightly, although I've seen less benefit at the temples. I've had no side effects.

Yeah well it's best to use both. I must say, the shedding I saw MAY have been because my fin wasn't real (it was finpecia, since getting on proscar, shedding slowed down slightly).